If they passed him, then he's an Eagle Scout. The Board messed up by not properly reviewing his paperwork. It's only a recommendation. It would have brought up many questions for me to ask if I noticed he didn't have any of the recommendations. The only thing that goes to Council and National are the Eagle Scout's Bio and Application.

Congrats to the New Eagle Scout.

Matua

If he "passed" his Board of Review, then he is an Eagle. You cant say, "hey you passed your eagle, but there is one more thing you have to do. The BOR should have been "suspended" until this last item was taken care of if it was of importance to the Board.

red feather,

Letters of recommendation are not required. The requirement on the Eagle application says to list 5 people who would be willing to give the Eagle candidate a recommendation if requested.

Sometimes reading between the line helps!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Two corrections,

You are not an Eagle once you pass the Board of Reveiw. That is true of every other rank but NOT Eagle. Your are not an Eagle Scout until your application has been reviewed and accepted by the National Board of Review in Irving, Texas. Once accepted the date of advancemnet is set as the day of your local Board of Review.

Secondly, the letters of reccomendation ARE required. It is just that the scout is not required to ask for them or collect them. However the Scout is required to submit the names of the people requested on the application including someone who will support that a scout has exhibited his Duty to God.

Hope this helps clarify why you have been asked for the information.

Bob White

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

If you have a doubt or if somebody in your council is asking for more requirements after the board of review, I urge yot to call national yourself and send a letter to them and your council. That should clear up any questions.

God bless your new Eagle Scout and God bless America!

Hang on, we've got an Eagle BOR coming up. I want to make sure I've got this straight.

Bob, you said the letters are required. The Eagle Scout Application only asks for names, addresses, and phone numbers. Now, I've always made sure the letters are included with the application that goes before the BOR. I thought that was mainly to avoid the "It was great to meet you; we think you're a great candidate. Now, give us a week to contact the people you listed in requirement #2..." situation. Which is it?

If the letters aren't required at the BOR, just names and contact information as the application form says, then it would appear the BOR members opted not to contact the religious leader in this case, if his name/address/phone were on the application. Doesn't seem cricket to ask for the letter after the fact...

KS

Although the letters of recommendation are usually available at the local board of review they are vital for the council Advancement Committee and the National Board of review and accompany the application to the National Office. Since the National Board of review does not meet the scout they use these letters as a profile of the applicant.

When you read the Eagle Application and the Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures manual regarding the eagle application you will find that the scout is responsible for providing the contact information but the responsibility to contact and collect the letters is the District Advancement Chairman or thier agent.

Hope this helps,

Bob White

Bob,

Thanks for hte info. Can you tell me where I can find that the letters of recommendation are required since it isn't on the application?

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

The request for references is a part of the Eagle application and it specifies a religious reference. The instructions to the Eagle Applicant is to "complete the application". Failure to provide all requested information is not "complete".

Bob White

Bob,

I guess you didn't understand. Since the application only asks for people that would be willing to give a reference if asked, where does it say letters from these people are required?

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

In the Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures manual where it instructs the District advancement chair to request and collect the letters of reference from the parties supplied by the scout on the Eagle Application.

Remember the Eagle Application tells the scout what he has to do (one of those things is to supply the requested references). The Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures manual instructs the district and council volunteers on how to perform their part.

The important thing to know on the unit level is that the instructions on the application need to be followed without trying to read between any lines. The instructions say to complete the entire application. That would include all requested references.

Bob White

(This message has been edited by Bob White)