The Can of Worms called Creation and/or Evolution

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, since you asked. I was raised Lutheran and am a scientist. I guess that makes me a Christian scientist, no? I believe in God, who created the heavens and earth...and He created evolution, and the Big Bang, and black holes.

scoutldr is very correct, science, including evolution, and religious belief are not mutually exclusive. The problem is that most people do not fully understand evolution most using Darwin as their only source. Evolution is prominent and provable in all living things and can be seen over a short period of time in the plant and insect world. Creationism on the otherhand is an innaccurate twisting of scriptures to promote a theory void of any credible, empirical facts.

It's only appropriate that Scouts pay serious attention to a religion founded by an Eagle Scout - though given a choice between the two religions founded by Eagle Scouts, I'll go with Pastafarianism.

Calico

Very good catch on the Eagle scout invented religions. Pastafarianism and Scientology. Never been a fan of Tom Cruise, although I have been very impressed with the later work of John Travolta. I'll stick with Pastafarianism for my redemption.

" I believe in God, who created the heavens and earth...and He created evolution, and the Big Bang, and black holes."

I've said that for decades and I'm usually shouted down by both sides of the argument.

" Creationism on the otherhand is an innaccurate twisting of scriptures to promote a theory void of any credible, empirical facts."

We are here, that is fact enough. Can you demonstrate that God did not create the planet in a day and just planted evidence of dinosaurs and such to confound and confuse man?

I've always subscribed to the belief that man created god(s) as a way to explain the mysteries of what man did not understand. It seems to me the conflict over creationism, or intelligent design versus evolutionary and cosmic theory comes about because as we, as a species, start to understand more and more about our existence, about our planet and universe, our need for god(s) to explain the mysteries decreases (less mysteries equals less god(s)), and that the two big mysteries left is "How did the universe and humanity come into existence" and "What is the purpose of life", and that this conflict is about who is going to provide those answers.

One question I've never gotten a satisfactory answer to is "If God created the universe, who created God?" I've had people tell me that the Big Bang can be explained as God creating the Universe - but no one has been able to tell me how God came into existence before the Universe did so God could create the universe. Is it not illogical to believe that the Universe could not spontaneously begin without the help of an outside force (such as God) while believing that God could spontaneously appear without the help of an outside force? Is it not possible that if we discover the answer of how God was created, we may discover the answer to everything?

It's good to have some mystery in life, but I've come to the conclusion, for me personally at least, that religion and spirituality should concentrate on the "What is the meaning of Life" question above all others. It may be the only question (Douglas Adams not withstanding)that will never have a satisfactory scientific answer.

Calico

Like Sctldr, I'm raised (and am) Lutheran. My training is to the social sciences (geography) though...

He said it the way I've got it in my tiny mind... there's room for God and science. If I'm wrong, God will deal with my re-education after this life :)

So there's a Church of Pasta.... I gotta see if there is one of Chocolate.

And so we come back to the circle of life, remembering that a circle has no ending or beginning in its pure form. Seems to me that some of our Native American brothers believed in this circular theory in a spiritual manner.

Ultimately, most of us must simply have faith in something just being there; call it God, Mother Nature, Circle of Life, Universal Gasses, or whatever. Have never met or read of any mortal man who had an absolute answer.

And, as John in K.C. notes; whatever reality exists beyond my currently finite mind (maybe later it will be infinite)I will discover "When I cross the bar".