Liability ? Oh Deer!

Well, it wasn't a deer but a turkey. Thankfully I stopped short. Lord willing, I won't have a major road-kill collision.

Around Kanssa City, we're seeing the critters move back into suburbia. I've seen deer a good 10 miles inside the I-435 loop. Certainly there are plenty of bald eagles in our neck of the woods, and there are allegations about various big cats being alive and well...

I see scads of them dead on highways on Staten Island, sometimes in Booklyn and Queens...and along, for example, the NJ Turnpike. In our area they have chronic wasting disease fairly frequently.

But John-in-KC, your mention of the turkey reminded me of an incident in which we surprised a gaggle (herd?) of wild turkeys on a remote county road lined by a thick growth of trees...in order to avoid our vehicle they had to fly right ahead of us. One of the guys reached out and actually caught one by the legs. Then the bonehead actually brought it into the cab with the rest of us. As my son would say back in middle school, "Way to go, Beavis!". (it was impolite to call someone 'Butthead');)

But it was a mess and we had to stop and clean up a bit. But no real damage except to Beavis's pride.

A rafter of turkeys

Also...

A bevy of quail

A bouquet of pheasants [when flushed]

A brood of hens

A building of rooks

A cast of hawks [or falcons]

A charm of finches

A colony of penguins

A company of parrots

A congregation of plovers

A cover of coots

A covey of partridges [or grouse or ptarmigans]

A deceit of lapwings

A descent of woodpeckers

A dissimulation of birds

A dole of doves

An exaltation of larks

A fall of woodcocks

A flight of swallows [or doves, goshawks, or cormorants]

A gaggle of geese [wild or domesticated]

A host of sparrows

A kettle of hawks [riding a thermal]

A murmuration of starlings

A murder of crows

A muster of storks

A nye of pheasants [on the ground]

An ostentation of peacocks

A paddling of ducks [on the water]

A parliament of owls

A party of jays

A peep of chickens

A pitying of turtledoves

A raft of ducks

A siege of herons

A skein of geese [in flight]

A sord of mallards

A spring of teal

A tidings of magpies

A trip of dotterel

An unkindness of ravens

A watch of nightingales

A wedge of swans [or geese, flying in a "V"]

A wisp of snipe

So does this mean I could have held Santa Claus liable for the Christmas tree I ran over w/ my Camero? Yes, its true - I ran over a Christmas tree...it was in the middle of the road and its awfully dark at 6:30 in the morning in January in Maine.

Michelle

packsaddle

As I drove to work today, I seen the deer peacefully grazing.

Abbey Road was playing on the stereo.

As I viewed these animals all I could think of was "Deer are rats with antlers."!!

The Beatles were singing "She came in through the bathroom window"!!

I wasn't at work very long when a inmate who is serving life came into my office and said that he felt that everyone is out to get him.

The guy is a bit of a nut, but I kinda put a lot of that down to having served 27 years in jail. I'm a little nuts after 8 hours!!

I did talk with him and did my best to counsel him, but have to admit to in many ways dismissing him.

Later in the day he ran into the Captain's office and said he felt that someone was going to kill him!! He is now in an area reserved for inmates with psychiatric problems.

As I drove home I couldn't help but think about "Deer are rats with antlers."

The deer do have people who are out to get them!! But they just don't know it or if they do? They are clever enough to have made a home where there is no hunting.

Ea.

Eamonn, It could be worse...you could be replaying some song like 'Waltzing Matilda' about a million times in your head. ;) At least that's what's happening to me now that I mentioned it.

But I adapted that line from Woody Allen in the movie Stardust Memories in which he announced that pigeons are rats with wings (he was right about that, too!).

After the second season of deer completely destroying my 1) deer fence, 2) my electric fence, and 3) my garden (not to mention every Hosta and most blueberries for the entire community), I've grown kind of negative toward them. And if I ever spot a coyote with one of my eggplants in his mouth, I'll feel the same way toward them.:)

Oh dear a Vegan coyote!!

Right now I'm so fed up (Sorry!)

With Vegan diets and Vegetarian diets I could spit up my soy milk.

We were supposed to have this up and running several months back. But someone is very far behind with it all!!

I can't name names!

Ea.