2010 last Jambo at AP Hill

"The land east of Denver (flat praire) could be leased out from the farmers for the Jambo years (cover their crop loss), in fact, I think most of their crops is winter wheat anyways. Lots of giant 10K acre tracts out there. The farmers could just plow and replant during the off years. Close to a major airport and Amtrak station, support from a major metro area. Side trips to the Rocky mountains. Central to the US. Win win? "

NO, Wouldn't work. The cost of building the site each time would be some serious money. The damage to the land would make it unuseable for farming for years.

The amount of money it is going to cost to put in the necessary infastructure is going to scare most of us. Water system, sewer system, roads, Electric, med facilities, warehousing, and ...... The list will be long and expensive. Wonder who is gonna pay the bill for this?

Right now existing infrastructure is leveraged off USG, and some temporary support infrastructure is provided by the Army Reserve (and to a lesser extent, AF/Marine Reserve).

One way or the other, if USG is out of the business of Jamboree support, infrastructure to include:

- Roads capable of tractor/trailer and commercial bus haulage

- Power (particularly at the admin site)

- Potable/non-potable water

- Sewage

- Selected admin/support facilities (HQ, health lodge, maintenance shops)

will have to either be built or rented. There is no escaping that.

Think of your Scout Reservation, from the admin building and health lodge to the Ranger's facilities shop, plus the program areas to include the pool/waterfront. Now, multiply that to bed down 25,000 a night.

That's what BSA will have to do to execute a National Jamboree if USG land and support is no longer available due to operational need.

Who knows?

Maybe by 2014 or 2015 the issues that prevent the USG supporting the Jamboree may be resolved?

I know scouts may be all hung up on the camping thing, but as noted in another thread Jamborees aren't really much like camping. How about using the facilities of a large state University for a couple of weeks during the summer? Schedule it between summer sessions. Dorms, dining halls, athletic facilities, arenas, stadiums, a lot of infrastructure that isn't used much that time of year.

SA

Someone sent me an e-mail the other day that said due to the fact that 2010 would be the last Jambo at AP Hill, no new sub camps would be made available.

Much as I hate to come off sounding like a wet blanket.

I think someone has to a sometime say "Enough is enough!"

Over 40,000 Scouts is a lot of Scouts.

When I see big numbers like that I get scared.

In 2001 and in 2005 just moving that number of Scouts to where they were supposed to be became a big headache.

Dealing with the heat, the security for the President and the visitors seemed to take up almost an entire day.

Maybe it's time for Regional Jamborees?

Scouts from other Regions could if they wanted apply to attend a Jamboree in another Region.

I know some people would still be left out in the cold, but with costs; this might give some of the parents and the leaders a break.

Ea.

John, that's if the government is really out of the picture when it comes to Jamboree. I don't believe that is the case. I think it's a matter of they have a different need for the land. From what I've heard, the Army is involved in the process of finding a new location.

I think it will be interesting to see what happens..