so how do you make a living then?

Right now I'm in Jail!!

Good thing is that I do get to pass go and do collect my $200.00! (And have a get out of jail free card!)

I'm involved with just about every aspect of Inmate Food Service:

Teaching Inmates and Staff ServSafe courses.

Diets for the general population, therapeutic diets.

Anything that has to do with food seems to land on my desk.

I spend my day locked up with about 1,000 convicted criminals! You name a crime and we have someone who has committed it (Well Almost!!)

The strange thing is even after you get to know these guys and like them you know that you can never trust them. Security and security concerns always have to come first.

Just working in a State Correctional Facility has made me feel so very blessed that Scouts and Scouting has been and is around for me and for OJ.

I see so many young people who have got involved in gangs and drugs, which has at times led them into more violent crimes.

Yesterday I was talking with a Lad the same age as OJ (19) who is serving a double life sentence for murder. He is still a cocky young thing. Later I was talking with a guy who is in for life (Also for murder.) He has served 26 years. He has no one on the "Outside" While he is by no means insane, his entire life is now what happens within the jail. I couldn't help but think that when the 19 year -old is 45 he will be the same way.

I'm so very grateful that there are people who care enough about other peoples kids that they are willing to help them.

My Thanks to all of you for what you do.

My great wish is that we as an organization could do more to go into areas where Scouting could do more to help prevent kids from ending up eating the heart healthy diet (Nut free!!) That we provide for our inmates.

Eamonn.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Eamonn,

Don't blame yourself or Scouting too much for the current situation. Because of your position, you're too close to the problem, and you see those young people whom, for whatever reason, we as Scout leaders were unable to help. On the other hand, just imagine how many young kids we have helped stay out of gangs or jail over the past 100 years because of Scouting. I've gotta believe it's more than quite a few!

Ohio_Scouter,

You are of course so right.

In fact this was in many ways what I was trying to say.

I am indeed very grateful to all who serve our youth. Along with those who served me when I was a Lad.

Still I do wish that "We" as an organization could do more to get into areas where Scouts and Scouting could do so much for the kids that are there.

Sadly it seems that many Councils use programs like Scoutreach to boost membership numbers, with no real plan to get these units to move from Scoutreach to becoming traditional units.

Of course the community leaders in these areas have to want the program.

We (The BSA) might need to take a look at maybe lowering the requirements for adult leaders in these areas? Or maybe looking at the LFL program so that it can in more ways mirror the Scouting program? Without the .... shall we say "Baggage"?

Anyway I really don't want to hijack the thread.

Eamonn.

I served 20 years in the USN and retired as a Boiler Technician 1st class (Surface Warfare).

At present I am employed by the Univesity of Wisconsin-Whitewater as a Power plant operator-senior...I operate and maintain boilers and central chilled water systems.

I hope to have a second career as the lead vocalist in an Ozzy Osbourne tribute band...or perhaps as a sales represenative for a motorcycle dealership...hard to decide what I want to do when I finally grow up...we'll see...someday.

21 years in the USMC working with either radios, radio support systems, other communications technologies as a repairman or technician ending up as a Ground Data/Communications Maintenance Technician(MOS 2862). Retired as a reservist so no checks until much later.

Currently operating/monitoring/servicing Video-teleconferencing systems as part of a larger network for a University.

Taking Psychology and Religion classes to widen my world a little bit - I could be very hard to talk to when I was all wrapped up in my super-geek electron warrior mode. Although my wife assures me the super-geek lives on.

25 years as computer geek. Data center manager, disaster recovery planner, user support, system adminstrator, etc.

3 years ago I started my own business as a licensed home inspector. Also hold a residential building contractor license.

For about 15 years was a volunteer public safety responder. Firefighter for about 1 year. EMT for about 5 years, technical rescue for about 10 years. Technicaal rescue is building collapse, trench, confined space, high/low rope, hazardous materials, and swiftwater rescue. Also member of SAR team as a mantracker.

I am a lobbyist. In a nutshell my job is to keep small airports open across the country. It gets more complicated but basically I try to convince local governments that having an airport is a good thing and an asset to their community.

Prior to this job I taught people how to fly. That was really fun, if not very lucrative. I still hold a flight instructor certificate, but haven't flown in about 8 months.

I was also a tank platoon leader and supply company executive officer in the Army from 1989 to 1993. Also a fun job with lots of travel!

And Lisa I wish my American Government professor in college had your approach to teaching, I might have been more politically aware earlier in my life. But I did get to particpate in the 1988 Iowa caucuses for extra credit.

John

Assistant Cubmaster

Pack 13

Shenandoah Area Council