What does Honor mean to you?

Pappy keeps going on with an artifical term of manly-man. I could not find an offical definintion for this. I guess one does not exisits so lets drop that and discuss HONOR. A tried and true term for scouts.

Honor goes by many names in many cultures and some of those have been twisted to mean something different when translated to English but following the culture's attitude they mean honor.  Mexican - macho,  Japanese - face. I would also like to hear of other terms like these.

The orginal definition for honor ment grants of land. Honors were granted from kings to subordinates for deeds and services along with a fancy title such as Lord, Barron, or Duke, and who remained at the king's beck and call. Failure to "honor" one's kingly oath would see an immediate reduction in land holdings, as well as their position in society....

The bacteria, mold and horse flies are doing very well without my assistance - thank you.

Honor in the sense of public recognition is nice, but is not what the oath is referring to.

Honor is the sense of self that allows you to look in the mirror with blushing or averting your eyes.

While my Honor is mine, I have ownership of it.

I see it very much going hand in hand with my values.

Which again are mine.

Others might at times try and judge my honor.

It is always a work in progress!!

Just when I think I have it where it should be, something happens and I see that there is room for improvement.

Of course the only person who can make any improvements is me.

I learned a lot of my values from my parents and from people I have looked up to over the years. - Teachers, Religious leaders.

Education, by which I mean every person I have ever met, book I have ever read, TV show I have ever seen and so on has also played a part in making me the person I am.

Somewhere along the line I decided if I wanted to be like the good guys or the bad guys.

Sometimes it has taken me a while to work out who my real hero's were.

I look back now and can see what a truly great man my father was. While I don't pretend to have his qualities. For a very long time I never seen how kind and how loving he really was, I just took it all for granted.

Now I'm happy to bear his name in fact I'm honored.

I'm also overjoyed that OJ seems to be very much like him.

Maybe for all my faults I did get somethings right.

Eamonn.

Eamonn, That is an excellent discription. If you do not mind I would like to use it.

Honor or Face oriental culture means, among other thing already stated, Dealing fairly and with respect with adversaries . No one should leave the competion feeling shamed. Following rules of decorium, writen or not. You loose face if you try to win using dirty tricks, insults and such.  Did tou see the part in Pearl Harbor when the Japenese commander discovers that the deleclaration of war from japan to the US was not delivered?  He had lost major face due to the fact adversary was not notified even when it was not his error. They also lost face for the injured civilans, they were specifically told not to attack them. Watch for it the next time you see those movies.

Contrast that with today ............9/11.  need I sat more?