SCOUTING AMERICA:--A REORGANIZATION OF BSA

This was spun from another thread. BSA SCHISM RED STATE SCOUTS/BLUE STATE SCOUTS

SCOUTING AMERICA

I propose a new title for BSA: SCOUTING AMERICA

I propose we brand a new message for SCOUTING AMERICA that scouting is for everybody, wherever they find themselves in life, spiritually, economically, politically, culturally.

I propose we make the values portion of scouting, along with the uniform an option and not a mandated portion of the program but an option to be creatively derived from the CO using the SCOUTING AMERICA services.

We open up the option for all sexes but neither mandate coed nor single sex units.

Scouting Americas mission is to make Scouting and Scout craft available to American families, youth, and communities,

Allow professional scouters who specialize in Cope training or Pioneering skills to focus on that and forget about the values part of scouting. Let the COs and their affiliations work on designing a values program if they want one.

BSA should drop the pretense and get out of the values game at National- and have National be a service provider of Scouting Out Door Adventure and Training for Boy Scouting and other groups interested in scouting skills and outdoor adventure and adventure training.

SCOUTING AMERICA would change the business model to a service provider with many diverse cliental. Maybe lose the uniform as well and allow COs to have their own uniforms that they think will reflect their units particular values. Maybe some scouters will have kilts and bagpipes at a jamboree, another may have the camouflage BDUs, another might go with a polo shirt and khakis whatever.

Allow COs and National affiliations of COs to organize Values Specific Scouting organizations that are like states within a Federal BSA system. I would think it would be interesting on a number of fronts to see jamborees where Wiccan Scouts, Catholic Scouts, Baptist Scouts, Jewish Scouts, Atheist Scouts, BP scouts, Rangers, Venture Units, all celebrated scouting and at the same time got a chance to see each other as a reflection of the values that they and their CO and families hold dear. I think esprit de corps would increase. Competition and a sharing of ideas and values would take place.

If it is true that BSA already would allow CO's to create their own values program tailor suited to their own unique BSA-affiliated program, then maybe BSA should market this aspect of itself to these organizations by emphaisizing a brand that says loud and clear-

WE ARE HERE FOR YOU_ WHOEVER YOU MAY BE!

An Ad line might go something like this:

"Let us help you make your Youth Program something your youth will absolutely love. We offer high adventure- adult and youth training, safe access to the great outdoors, and a 100 year tradition helping make youth into Americas most productive adults."

As I said- the service model I think is the best model for BSA National. It is already best tooled for it. It can train scouters to provide scouting a wide variety of classic scouting skills, training both adults and youth.

The point is- Scouting is good - Spreading the game of Scouting and by implication the lessons it teaches is our aim. Allow the costumer to take from scouting what they value. Give the customer a wide berth and a big menu.

Let's do what we do best, and leave the rest to the customer.

Pappy

As I have stated before, I am for a broader scouting program that will attract and keep more boys. I think that scouting is a force for good in our culture, and it should be allowed to grow in the different soils of America. You can be a scout and look like a dough boy, or a Hessian, Indian Jones, or Captain Kirk, or a Jedi warrior, a Golfer, the Mounties, or a Marine.

Pappy

(This message has been edited by Pappy)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BSA- as SCOUTING AMERICA: Would offer traditional Boy Scouting only as an option from a broad menu of options and services.

But yes, the Scout Oath and The Scout Law would no longer be an integral part of Scouting America as an organization, but perhaps something that it might suggest but not mandate.

It would be left to the CO to design the Values portion of their youth program.

Let Religious and other community organizations run the values portion of Youth development and let Scouting provide Scouting and Scout Craft.

It is a democratization model. And it would be an interesting end run around the ACLU logger head we currently face.

Pappy

Pappy,

How familiar are you with the Venturing program? It is can be Coed, it does not have an uniform, rather the youth decides if and what they will use as an uniform. The program ranges from Sea Scouts, Arts and Hobbies, Youth Ministries, Out Doors and Sports or any electic combination thereof. You may want to check out the information Venturing has on Youth Ministries Crews.

It does however have Values in it, I am not sure I understand your reluctance to adhere to the values present in the BSA. Indeed, without them we have an Ourdoors club, and there are plenty of outdoors clubs already, why would we shed a distinguishing characteristic? I am not sure I want an end run around the ACLU, I prefer to face challanges head on. Although in most cases, I happen to agree with the ACLU that the BSA is a private faith based organization that gets to set its own membership rules and if that means we cannot get governmental subsidies, then thats what it means

Bob,

The model I propose would better serve the greater cause of spreading Scouting and scoutcraft to a wider and more diverse population. It would also keep National vital and focused on Scoutcraft- training - and outdoor adventure. It would help BSA by giving it a business model that would attract more talent, youth, and positive attention.

Those that hold that the only problem with BSA as it stands is that people just don't get BSA and people just arent trained enough to do BSA right- they will be opposed to such an idea- because in their mind it is not BSA that needs fixing but its volunteers.

Pappy

No. If you drop the values the BSA has then all you have is another youth organization just like a million others! And this idea seems to be totally contradictory of your previous ramblings, Pappy.

Are we being set up?

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

OLD GREY EAGLE,

I am only suggesting that we think about letting the customer decide what values program, if any, they want in their scouting package. If a CO wants to do a traditional model- well we have that model in ready supply, don't we. If it is a venture model- we have that to. I am saying- drop all the categories and allow the customer to customize their own unit, and use SCOUTING AMERICA as an organization to aide them in outdoor training, organization, etc.

I am saying the customers should have a choice, otherwise they will go away.

If we are best at Scout craft, outdoor adventure, and the like, then we should focus on that.

I think BSA has a vision problem because they are stuck on internal contradictions about what is scouting, what are its core values, how these should be administered, etc. I say -cut that sea anchor, and let us right our ship and sail on as a service provider that can accommodate most comers.

Pappy

Both the proposed Balkan Scouts of America and the current BSA still have the same flaw - any family cannot join any unit, not even become a Lone Scout.

I believe that any family should be allowed to join any unit and participate in the scout program - no discrimination. I don't equate "values" with religion, though it can be a source. I agree that the BSA should spin off the religion unit as it is not a core competency and it would enable the BSA to reach more families.

Not a set up.

I have not contradicted myself. I am all for a very conservative idea of scouting, as you all well know.

But I am not going to say that what I want for my unit is what anybody should want or have. I am specifically addressing what would be a better model for the National Organization as it moves forward. I think the monolithic scouting movement is having many pangs, and is in need of a reorganization to meet the needs of a very diverse population.

Getting CO's to adopt their own style of scouting, and see SCOUTING AMERICA as the best resource, with the best customer service, the best training facilities and talent on hand, with the best facilities, is I think a very attractive model.

A patrol could use the facilities of its council to train them in mountain climbing, rifleman ship, scuba diving, sailing, and whatever else they want to excel at. No merit badges or Rank Advancements necessarily -Just groups of kids using SCOUTING AMERICA to get safe and educated access to the outdoors.

Pappy

(This message has been edited by Pappy)

Ok, I promise this is my last post in this thread until tomorrow as I have to see what others views are.

The mission of the Boy Scouts of America is to prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Law.

There is nothing about Camping, the Outdoors, none of that in the Mission. The Outdoors becomes the environment in which the values are taught. Joe Pa (bowing head)prepares youth people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetime by use of the football program at Penn State. Boy Scouts grew to its popularity because it offers a fun outdoors prgram and while the youth are in the program, the values of the Oath and Law are taught, they are dramatized, they are absorbed. Venturing is a program that attempts to instill those values through programs such as Sea Scouting, Arts and Hobbies, Sports, Youth Ministries and Outdoors. Taking the values out takes out the soul of what makes us who we are. If we want the BSA to be the premier outdoors program for youth, we have a whole heck of a lot of work in front of us as we make sure all scoutmasters and assistant scoutmaster are the he men (and he woman, or is that she woman) that they need to be. We would have to bypass NOLS for sure and a few other groups as well. Now, I will watch what others have to say

As I stated.

I am not as confident in the BSA status quos as many of you are.

I think that scouting is an outdoors movement.

I think that ethics and morals are paramount- but that Scouting,as I have seen it practiced- usually only pays a little lip service to that portion of its program, especially where the Boy Scout age youth are concerned. So lets say we will leave it to the CO- and we will support them in the way that they ask to be supported.

We make the program more beefed up on those skills that the youth are demanding, and lighten up on the paperwork and dry training we put the adult volunteers through.

We need to sell this thing- and I'll tell you fellas- here on the ground in central Illinois- it is a really hard sell.

THose that want trational by the book BSA can still keep it. But open up the arena to all comers.

Pappy