Motorcycles; whats your pleasure?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"A man has got to know his limitations."

When I was an unmarried man I had no limitations. Sixties muscle cars, 1-litre bikes, and F-14s.

Got married, had a family, haven't ridden much since. Tried a Harley, but it felt...wrong.

The only motorcycle that I ever saw that made me want to ride one was when Steve McQueen grabbed the bike in THe GReat Escapem which I beleive was a modified 1961 Triumph TR6 Trophy Bird. Not a prodcut of the Nazi war effort to be sure.

Pappy

Or in your case that might be 'gerrrliemen'. The accent just doesn't work when typed.;)

I had a buddy who was the best trials and hill-climber I ever saw - slipping both wheels in turns and sometimes doing head stands on only the front wheel. Then she'd stop and take off her helmet and jaws would drop. :)

No real experience yet... but I hope to be going through the MSF course and get my endorsement as soon as possible.

I was looking at a Honda Rebel earlier, but from what I've read in multiple sources, a Honda Shadow VLX would still be small enough to be a good beginner bike, but big enough not to outgrow too quickly.

Of course, all of this is predicated upon the idea that I can afford the costs of motorcycling... the MSF and licensing, the bike, the protective equipment, the insurance...

MSF class is well worth the time and trouble.

Insurance. That's a big problem. I found that the best deal for motorcycle insurance was with Dairyland. You need to find an independent agent to buy Dairyland.

Another thought is to buy a used bike to keep insurance costs down.

If you shop around, you should be able to get your protective gear for not a lot of money (comparatively speaking). $100 for a good full face helmet and another for a decent synthetic armored jacket.

Pappy mentioned wanting to ride after seeing the late Steve McQueen riding in "The Great Escape"...that reminded me of what an old biker riding an original '48 HD panhead said to me after checking out my bike..."nice bike, looks like something Steve McQueen woulda rode".

When I was doing living history/battle re-enacting in Illinois with the HRS, I got to ride in the back seat of a "Kettenkrad"...a hybrid motorcycle-halftrack the German military used during the second world war...veerrry intereshting...but not recomended to drive across slopes except staight up or down (prone to tip, top heavy). Made by NSU. Very unusual.

I started out riding a 95cc suzuki street bike. Had to lay down with my chin on the gauges to get up to almost highway speed. Took a lot of teasing with it since I used to carry my 105cc chainsaw on the back of it (yep, I was a lumberjack - and I'm ok...)

Next was a used 83 shadow 750 (first year of the shadows), That took me back and forth to Penn State (from CT). Gas tank was so small on that thing I had to kill the engine going down the mountains along one point of Rt80 to make it to the next exit with gas.

After graduation I took out a loan for a new 86 shadow 1100. $3639.75 Paid in cash with a big stack of twenties to bust the dealer since he would never take a check for parts. put 45,000 miles on it and sold it for $500

Next up was a 94 Goldwing Interstate (new in March of 95)($10,212)

I abused it, rode it hard and skipped most of the scheduled maintenance...110,000 miles on the clock so far and it sill ran great the last time I fired it up. But I can't ride to work anymore because I need my tools and can't ride weekends because I always have two kids with me now. At this point I think it needs too much work to put back on the road to make it worth it... needs new seat, windshield and tires and some punk with a paint gun shot out the head light. Better to take the $$ and use it as a down payment on a new one (either an other wing or the big BMW)

SSScout, I have a friend who rides a late model 92" Victory...loves it. He formerly rode Harley shovelheads back in the 70s and 80s...says the victory makes 'em look like they're going backwards.

I considered a Victory, but my styling taste is definetly Retro...the Victory was a bit too 'Fast and Furious' for me, but still a cool bike and the price beats the HDs for a similar type bike.

I fell into/ranacross/stumbled onto a Victory Dealer show at a local Holiday Inn a few months back. Had not heard of it before. Got me thinking again. But until I can convince MTSO, two wheeling will remain a back burner thing. But the Victory made me remember why I rode a Suzuki, I could pick it up if it fell over, unlike some of my Harley friends rides.

*I remember the H-D dirt cycle a friend had ? 125CC? We called it a "Hardly Davidson".

The new Victory is one of those bikes Ive got to personally see to have an opinion. It is so far out there in the pictures that I have a hard time imagining myself on it. I hear great things about it. Lots of power and handles great. Very comfortable to ride except that it can get a little hot. I havent seen it around here yet.

Honestly I hope the new bike does well, I understand Victory is struggling a little and Id hate to see them go the way of the Indian.

Barry