See you next election cycle!!!!

T.S.- I am not saying el Pres is in charge of pricing. But an oil man in the house with record oil prices. It will cost me almost $3000.00 to heat my home this winter. I would like solar panels, but are out of my reach. Now, with this recent GA sugar refinery explosion (prayers and condolences to those lost/affected), you will see sugar reach over $3.00 for a 5# bag. (Currently $2.79 in my area.)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gwd_scouter, I remember being excited about voting for president. I almost experienced joy knowing I was voting for a man of such stature, honor, and intelligence. I had wanted to vote for Barry Goldwater but I was too young, so I campaigned for him.

But a little later, I got my chance to vote for the real deal and I voted...for Richard Nixon.

He then instituted wage and price controls, ended the gold standard, bombed Laos and Cambodia, and all the rest.

And today he would be a monument to virtue compared to this rotten bunch.

I'm with LisaBob on this one.

This will be my first Presidential election where I can actually vote. Will I? That's still to be decided...

Right now I have NO IDEA who I'd vote for. For starters, how many of the major candidates currently hold other governmental positions? Let's see: Ron Paul (is he "major"? in the House of Representatives, Obama in the Senate, McCain in the Senate, Hillary in the Senate...

And how many of them have actually done their jobs these last 2 years? They've been too busy campaigning nearly since the 2004 election got over.

Hillary rubs me the wrong way after she and Bill "moved" to New York shortly before Bill's term expired. And she was elected a Senator there just like that.

Obama is from Chicago. He served in the state legislature for a term or two before turning to the US Senate. He's served part of a term in the Senate doing very little. What makes him think he's ready to be the most powerful person on Earth?

Ron Paul I can't stand. My friend is a HUGE fan of his.

McCain I don't know that much about.

Definitely could be an interesting election. I can't wait until it's over so we see "Change" like the Demorats have been calling for since forever. What's their Congressional approval rating again????

hops, to be fair, Congressional approval ratings are routinely low and it does not matter which party controls Congress. And the irony is that if you survey most Americans, they'll tell you how much they can't stand Congress as a whole, yet they like *their* guy or gal in Congress a whole lot (just those other 534 idiots that are the problem I guess).

As for Hillary, yeah she got called a "carpet bagger" and worse when she conveniently moved to my home state back in 1999 or so. But to her credit, she spent the next 6 years coming to understand her adopted state reasonably well and in her re-election she won something like 60+ percent of the vote (though with little opposition to speak of). It seems she did a better job of representing NYers than most of them expected. There are plenty of reasons not to support her - I'm just not sure this is the best one of them?

I envy you though. Like you, a lot of my students are of an age to vote for the first time. I think it is a lot more exciting to be in that position now than has been the case in several election cycles since no matter who wins, "change" and lots of it will be one certain result. If you haven't already - make sure you register! I always feel badly for students who get all fired up around mid-October, only to realize they missed their state's registration deadline some weeks or months prior to that time.

Gotta agree with you there Lisa, on registration.

Not voting=no whining!

To me, the second greatest ability a President has is to shape the Judiciary with his/her appointments. I have to love how both sides are calling the other Judicial Activists anymore. Is there anyone out there who can read the law for the true Constitutional questions and get on with it?

prof,

That's a great question for Uncle Jay! Have your kid send it to him!

www.unclejayexplains.com

Here's what wikipedia says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superdelegate

As for me, they're a bunch of hack politician poo-bah's who have the key to the smoke-filled room. After all the Party noise about "count every vote!" in the last two election cycles, if they push the nomination from the delegate leader to the other candidate, rest assured the other party will tout that in election negative advertising all Fall...

John,

Thanks for the info.

Uncle Jay is a pretty interesting site!

The democratic convention could be very interesting given how close the count is on pledged delegates. It will be fun to watch!

Steve

Good description John! I hadn't seen unclejay before either.

TS - yes superdelegates are part of the system, no doubt about that (though only on the Dem side this time, I think). But why should we have them at all? Pretty undemocratic, really. Unless, of course, the party doesn't feel it can trust the primary voters to make a good choice of candidates.