Ty Cobb vs Pete Rose

The Devin Hester thing was suppose to have been a little joke. Being that I live in Illinois he is about the only think going on in sports in this area!

Driving to the airport yesterday in Wisc. (do you have any idea how much I get to hear about the packers when I spend a week in Wisc. since I am a Bear fan and live in a suburb of Chicago.) they where talking in the car about tennis players and if the new players are as good as Ashe, Conner, McEnroe, etc..

One of my coworkers said that Conner's said he would play any of the new players as long as the new players had to use wooden rackets.

hester may be only a few things that is not a joke about a certain little town at the bottom of a certain little Great Lake.

And did you notice all my player references were Bears? and I missed the greatest open field runner of them all, the Kansas Comet whose career was a short flash of brilliance

ANd yes, this IS how threads get off track oh well

"...but I am reluctant to close them because just because I dont like what is being said..."

And I appreciate that very much. Unlike the thread on Adult Patrols that got closed because it brought back bad memories for someone. If that was the case, that person didn't need to read the thread! Thanks for ruining the topic for the rest of us! I've seen plenty of bad moderating, but that one takes the prize! Eamonn, your trophy is on the way.

I am the sole moderator on a Highpower Rifle page. In the game of Highpower, competitors spend half the day in the pits, pulling targets for the other half of the competitors. There is plenty of time for conversation, that covers every topic imaginable. I treat threads on the page like they are pit conversations - they roam all over the landscape. These are conversations, not classrooms. Why stifle creativity with narrow blinders? I do think it is polite to spin off new threads when appropriate, something I admit I'm not very good at doing.

Oh yes I noticed you bringing up Walter and Butkus, I am sorry to say that I never saw Butkus play, I did not start to watch football until the late 70s. I remember Walter running his heart out on many bad teams.

Since I'm the one who started us off in a different direction (though at least I didn't go way off track and bring up football (not the soccer kind) in a baseball thread), I suppose I should explain myself.

Ya see, Pete Rose, Ty Cobb? Who cares?? Neither of them had a big impact in my life. I was raised on the Chicago Cubs - America's Team (I know, I know "what about the Yankees, what about the Mets, what about the Giants"). The thing is, radio and TV broadcasts of the Chicago Cubs reached more people throughout the country than radio and TV broadcasts of any other team. WGN Radio had one of the most powerful radio signal strengths of any commercial radio station, so Cubs games could be listened to down on the farm in Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Indiana, North Dakota, South Dakota, or down on the ranch in Colorado, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, or on the fishing boat in Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Tennessee, Kentucky, Arkansas - well, I think you get my drift. If you lived anywhere in the heartland, anywhere between the Rockies and the Appalachians, you could hear the Chicago Cubs. And when cable first came out, one of the first "superstations" was WGN-TV, home of the Chicago Cubs - and home and away Cubs games were on just about every day during baseball season.

But I digress (which is, I suppose, one reason the threads take so many interesting directions).

Being raised on the Cubs, Ty Cobb and Pete Rose just don't have any meaning to me. Now Ernie Banks? You bet! And Ron Santo?? My absolutely all time, favorite baseball player - when I joined Little League, I wanted to play 3rd base because Ron was my baseball hero. That man threw everything he had into playing the game, he is famous for trying to "screw himself into the ground" when he swung at a pitch. The man tried to make every hit a home run, and was the best third baseman ever. It's a crying shame that he hasn't been voted into the Hall of Fame yet - which just goes to show that the Hall of Fame voters are just a bunch of hacks. (and yet again, I digress).

But if I truly had to answer the actual question, the answer would be Ty Cobb - because Ty Cobb was honest about his racism while Pete Rose is still in denial about his gambling.

Calico

Calico

It's a Beautiful Day for a Ballgame,

for a ballgame, today.

The fans are out to get a ticket or two

From Walla Walla, Washington to Kalamazoo

It's a beautiful day for a home run

But even a triple's okay

We're gonna cheer

And boo

And raise a hallabaloo

At the ballgame, today!

or

Hey hey holy mackerel

No doubt about it

The Cubs are on their way

The Cubs are gonna pitch today

They're gonna hit today

They're gonna field today

Come what may the Cubs are gonna win today.

Hey hey holy mackerel

No doubt about it

They've got the hustle

They've got the muscle

The Chicago Cubs are on their way.

Hey hey holy mackerel

No doubt about it

They've got the hustle

They've got the muscle

The Chicago Cubs are on their way!

Jack Brickhouse was a CHicago god, Cubs Baseball in the Summer and in the Fall, "the Chicago Bears are on the air"

Ernie, lets play two, Banks at first

Glenn Beckert at Second

DOn Kessinger at Short

Ron Santo at Third

and a battery of Holztman and Hundley

Billy WIlliams in Left, Adolpho Phillips in Center and whomever in right

THen on the south side, The lilting tones of Bob Elsonand Red Rush doing the CHicago WHite Sox, Tommy Macgraw at second. Little Louie Apparicio at short, Norm Cash at First, yes the glory days(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

I would pick Pete Rose. I do not care for his personality and his lack of integrity. He was a big part of one of the best teams in baseball, the Big Red Machine.

If Joe Jackson had a lifetime ban from baseball and if he is no longer alive then why is he still banned from consideration from the hall of fame?

BrentAllen, I too am a highpower shooter, master and long range master. I agree with your analogy to conversations in the pits!

Ty Cobb was the best ballplayer ever. Remember, he travelled by train, not airplane.

0.366 batting average

0.433 on base percentage

48 stolen bases (average/season)

103 RBIs (average/season)

0.512 slugging percentage

0.303 batting average

0.375 on base percentage

9 stolen bases (average/season)

60 RBIs (average/season)

0.409 slugging percentage

Which set of statistics do you think are "better?"