LDS, Christians, and Politics

Good point TheScout, Powell did it to himself on behalf of his superiors. Fact is, he's lost it and he knows it. He's done.

OGE, it's over. Nothing you say can change the predicament that Bush is going to leave for someone else. Someone from RBB&B, I guess. The important questions aren't about the past, or the war, or the debt, or the economy, or civil liberties, or education, or energy policy. The ONLY important question is: do we want that person to be a Christian or a Mormon? ;)

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pack, not that you would ever be impish enough to throw in a red herring, even a thought provoking red herring, but I do not see the relevance of Christian or Mormon.

Last election when Joe Lieberman was running, I dont recall an issue of Christian or Jew why is this an issue this time?

Then sadly OGE, you are mis-recalling. I remember him being asked what he would do if the United States were attacked on a Saturday. I also remember more than a handful of people saying that they didn't feel they could vote for that "zionist" and I remember a subset of that group suggesting that if he were elected it would just prove that the Israelis have taken over, or some other similar rubbish.

Heh, heh, because back on page one, as I mentioned, Krauthammer had written this interesting opinion piece on the fact that Huckabee was now in the lead in Iowa, perhaps because of having contrasted his own Christianity against Romney's Mormonism. At least that's my feeble, red-herringed attempt at getting the thread back on topic.:)

I agree with you, of course, that the candidate's faith should be irrelevant. But having played the faith card with apparent success, Huckabee against Romney has made it the question du jour, at least for Iowa. The larger issue is whether or not a person's faith matters anywhere else in the country. As point of argument, I submit that it does. Care to argue that faith doesn't matter?

If not, then the question is: Christian or Mormon?

Wow! Took me two seperate days and part of one evening to read the whole topic. IMHO Mormons are not Christians by the difinition that I use. My vote in the primary will not be based on a candidates faith, although I would not vote for Romney even if he were not a Mormon. In the general election if the choice is Romney v any dem I'll support Romney. I have hopes that Sen Fred will gain in the polls. I keep hoping that Newt jumps in the race.

I for one have rather strong mixed feelings about some of what the LDS Church have done to Scouting over the years. I've met many a Scouter that would have been just as committed if they were not LDS. I have also met many a Scouter that should have taken up golf instead and they were not LDS.

I grew up with a next door neighbor that was a Mormon bishop. Nice folks but different. I did some research back while in college and as a member of an evangelical christian fellowship about other faiths. My findings when it came to Mormonism were disturbing at best. The Mormons had their own exhibit at World's Fair and Expo '74 in Spokane, WA and told the story of their faith, interesting but not very convincing to me. I learned that the Mormon's god changed his mind about polygamy at the same time Utah wanted to become a state. I've worked for a company that was owned by Mormon's and have know other Mormon businessmen and they just have not been as Christian as Christians. That said I do not judge other faiths by the faithful as we all are fallable humans. There does seem to be patterns that I have observed of Mormons that are troubling and disturbing.

Lisa, I do live in an area that has many people who are Jewish, so maybe I missed it. It could happen you know. So, Joe wouldnt act on a Saturday? Sorta like if JFK was president no one would come to a state dinner on Friday because they would only serve fish? People who only vote for single issue candidates are fools. A well rounded individual is required for any political job.

Sorry Pack, I got twisted in the thread, so much for a red herring, you actually were trying to speak to the thread, how novel!

I guess to echo a famous quote, at least I think its a quote, sonnoer or later people get the form of goverment they deserve,

Nuthin' wrong with goin' after Saddam. Or Bin Laden.

My problem with da Bush administration is incompetence.

Sendin' too few troops.

Micromanaging the war effort so that they let Osama get away at Tora Bora.

Shiftin' effort from Afghanistan to allow Bin Laden refuge and the Taliban to re-form and begin new operations.

Complete, bumbling idiocy in Iraqi "nation building."

Micromanaging anti-insurgent operations in Iraq (how many times did we invade Fallujah?).

Complete, bumbling idiocy when it comes to takin' care of our injured veterans.

Near total disregard for our men & women in the services, especially the National Guard & Reserves, with extended deployments, stop-losses, and all the rest.

Total financial mismanagement tryin' to fund a war on a credit card.

No strategic sense whatsoever in pursuin' energy independence when it's easier to line da pockets of cronies and friendly despots.

Complete, bumbling idiocy when it comes to foreign affairs.

Complete, bumbling idiocy when it comes to the DOJ - not one successful terrorist prosecution in 8 years! Not one! But lots of time spent scannin' my phonecalls for key words.

And a Republican congress that set new records for pork-barrel set asides and jumpin' in bed with lobbyists.

Hopefully this next time around we'll get a President who didn't dodge the last war and fail History class. You know, someone with integrity and a brain. :) May the good Lord preserve us from da neo-con chicken hawks.

I'll happily vote a politically conservative Wiccan if they demonstrate integrity and intelligence, and can refrain from tryin' to make me believe that my grocer might be a terrorist so I should submit to searches when I try to buy a loaf of bread.

Can't say that I'm seein' it though, in the current line of clowns.

Beavah

Looks like someone has been spending too much time watching the MSM/Drive-by news. Have you been reading Slate, or Paul Krugman?

Here is a list of terrorists prosecuted since 9/11:

Richard Reid, John Walker Lindh, Yahya Goba, Shafal Mosed, Yasein Taher, Taysal Galab, Mukhtar al-Bakri, Sahim Alwan, Jeffrey Battle, Patrice Ford, Ahmed Bilal, Muhammad Bilal, October Lewis, Mike Hawash, Masoud Ahmad Khan, Seifullah Chapman, Yong Ki Kwon, Donald Surratt, Hammad Abdur-Raheem, James Ujaama, Iyman Faris.

I don't know about you, but I'm much more interested in the number of terrorists we have killed since 9/11, and that number is big.

And the final number I'm interested in - how many terrorists attacks have we suffered since 9/11? Paul Krugman would probably have a stroke before could answer that question truthfully. Well, at least you Bush-haters are entertaining!

Al Gore is responsible for the Flyover Country Freeze. His mouth is worth 2 degrees F to the global temperature reading all by itself.

PS: Global warming exists, but we need to be holistic about which greenshouse gases, and in what proportion, are contributors.

I knew when the list started "Micromanaging the war effort so that they let Osama get away at Tora Bora", I didn't need to go any farther.

No need to read da liberal press, eh? I had good friends servin' on the ground in Afghanistan in that operation.

It is fascinatin' that some neo-conservatives' response to criticizin' the administration over their tactical and strategic choices is the same as complainin' about the weather. Gotta admit, that attitude of blind followership really scares me. And I'm a lifelong Republican who used to agree with Rooster :p

Conservative values include a distrust of the competence of big government in most areas, not blind trust. Conservative values include accountability. At least this old Beavah's do.

B(This message has been edited by Beavah)

Speaking of accountablility, you posted the administration hadn't prosecuted a single terrorist, in 8 years! Yet I gave you a list of several. Did your friends on the ground tell you about the zero prosecutions as well? Maybe they are spending too much time listening to the MSM and Kruger.

Sending too few troops? We wiped out Saddam's Army in the blink of an eye! The MSM was hoping we would get bogged down by that unusual sand storm, but to their dismay, we pushed through and rolled right on in to Baghdad. One of the quickest victories in the history of modern warfare.