A Christmas Poem

This may tick some people off, but hey this is America. This poem sums up my feelings about the secular world trying to take away from the real reason of Christmas .

Christmas Poem

The month before Christmas

When all through our land,

Not a Christian was praying

Nor taking a stand.

Why the PC Police

had taken away,

The reason for Christmas -

no one could say.

The children were told

by their schools not to sing,

About Shepherds and Wise Men

and Angels and things.

It might hurt people's feelings,

the teachers would say

December 25th

is just a 'Holiday'.

Yet the shoppers were ready

with cash, checks and credit

Pushing folks down

to the floor just to get it!

CDs from Madonna,

an X BOX, an I-pod

Something was changing,

something quite odd!

Retailers promoted

Ramadan and Kwanzaa

In hopes to sell books by

Franken & Fonda.

As Targets were hanging

their trees upside down

At Lowe's the word Christmas -

was no where to be found.

At K-Mart and Staples

and Penny's and Sears

You won't hear the word Christmas;

it won't touch your ears.

Inclusive, sensitive,

Di-ver-si-ty

Are words that were used

to intimidate me.

Now Daschle, Now Darden,

Now Sharpton, Wolf Blitzen

On Boxer, on Rather,

on Kerry, on Clinton!

At the top of the Senate,

there arose such a clatter

To eliminate Jesus,

in all public matter.

And we spoke not a word,

as they took away our faith

Forbidden to speak

of salvation and grace.

The true Gift of Christmas

was exchanged and discarded

The reason for the season,

stopped before it started.

So as you celebrate 'Winter Break'

under your 'Dream Tree'

Sipping your Starbucks,

listen to me.

Choose your words carefully,

choose what you say

Shout MERRY CHRISTMAS,

not Happy Holiday!

Yeah, but I'm glad about the way the Christians, unable to establish the ACTUAL birth date, adopted the traditional December 25 date celebrated as Natalis Invicti.

http://www.worldspirituality.org/december-25.html

Moreover, the pagans can continue to celebrate the feast unnoticed while the attention is focused on commerce and Christians who ironically object to assaults on 'their' name for the holiday.

Yeah Gonzo1, I understand and that's ok with me. I really like the holiday and its coincidence with so many others. Get 'em all out of the way at once...most of them, at least. But really, coming from the South and spending Christmas in NY is a real blast I look forward to every year. I love Manhattan anyway but I really love Manhattan at Christmas time.

And, contrary to the topic of the thread, most New Yorkers don't pay much attention to political correctness. Christmas is fairly in your face everywhere...OK, it's mostly driven by profit but hey, that's the American economic system...Love it or leave it! ;)

As I'm originally from Chicago, I have something in common with New Yorkers, I ain't PC!

I heard on some radio network news the other day, that mall Santa's are being asked to say Ha Ha Ha instead of Ho Ho Ho so they don't offend as don Imus did. C'mon, it's what santa says: Ho Ho Ho - Merry Christmas.

One of my friends wishes folks a happy Ramahanakwanzmas so he doesn't offend anyone. I really think political correctness has gone too far. THEIR attempt to not offend anyone is offensive by itself.

Gonzo1, you need to sit down for what you're about to read. Every year, actually just a few days from now, I put on a Santa suit and do the Christmas thing for my daughter-in-law's 2nd grade. Those kids are from a really poor area. So all through the rest of the year when stores offer freebies marketing ploys, we fill up on small items that they can use in school, collect them over the year and then hand them out at Christmas as gifts. In her class, if they do something as seemingly small as make a paper drawing of a clock and paste some clock hands on it, the kids think it's the greatest thing. Those gifts are cherished. One kid put on his christmas list that he wanted some socks and a wash cloth.

So I do Santa every year and I go, "HO HO HO!"

Worse, to perpetuate this myth even more, I go around the other classes and wish all of the kids a Merry Christmas. Heh, heh, last year my daughter-in-law heard two of the kids discussing the possibility that I was a fake. One said, "..you think he's just dressed up like Santa?". The other kid says, "...oh no, he's the real thing...he's old!"

Nice, huh? ;)

Just livin' the dream.

Yeah, you're the real deal!

I thought I was old........... until we met! Then I found out what old looked like.

Now you know I'm kidding. You're just an ol' softy deep down inside, aren't you?

With a little effort, I bet we can get forum members to snd things for Santa to deliver.

Is there a PO Box we can send things to?

If not, I have a PO Box, then we could meet half way if you'd like.

I'll go to Chik-Fil-A and see if they have some things I can get for you. Their local marketing manager is one of my patients.

Gonzo

I can't help feeling that in the next few days this is going to arrive in my "Incoming Mail".

I will not bother opening it and will delete it PDQ.

I'm happy with my beliefs, my religion and how I choose to spend the holiday.

purcelce,

If this does sum up your feelings? I can live with that.

As for me? I couldn't care less if stores use the word Christmas or not.

I really don't care how political people spend the holiday or what they think of it.

If someone wants to wish me a Merry Christmas or Happy Holiday, I'll take it and be thankful for their good wishes.

I work with a lot of practicing Muslims, when they go to say their prayers I ask them to say one for me. Lord knows I need all the prayers I can get!!

When the time comes for me to part with my hard earned cash, the price of what I'm buying will determine where I spent it! I don't care about the religious policy of the store, if they are having a Holiday Sale or a Christmas Clearance.

We will once again host our open house over the holiday, inviting friends and relations to stop in for some Christmas Fare. There will be the Nativity Scene in the dining room. It's not there to upset anyone, if it does they are free to leave or not come. My feeling is that it's my house and I'll put what I like in it.

Some of the people who stop by will be non-Christian, in fact I have no idea what religion if any a lot of them choose to follow. That's up to them.

The poem doesn't tick me off!!

But if this is an example of "Tidings of comfort and joy"? We really have a long way to go.

Eamonn.