Utah paper: scouts may be thrifty, but some leaders are well paid

That's news?

I wish that I had his salary but I wouldn't want his job.

The president of my wife's local makes over $300,000 a year. That's at least five times what the highest paid member makes.

A lot of people out there are paid a lot of money. Many are paid much and contribute little to society, lawyers are a good example. College coaches are another.

That's the world.

This was not news to me...a few years ago, I found the IRS Form 990 for my Council. It's all a matter of public record and available on the Internet if you know where to look. I did find it interesting that our SE's Girl Scout counterpart gets by on about a third of what the SE makes, if the numbers are true.

What is even more telling were the reader comments to the article; a glimpse of the backstory behind LDS Scouting. With all the disgruntled LDS Scouters out there, are we seeing the beginning of the end?

The key executives of large charitable organizations have large organization's to run and large issues with which to deal. Therefore, you would expect them to compensated for their work.

Everything I have read leads me to believe that, while BSA execs are well paid, their salaries arent out of line with other charities. For example the head of United Way (National)made just shy of$400k in 2003.

http://www.unitedway.org/About/upload/2003Form990.pdf

And, per Charity Navigator, the head of the ACLU made $300K.

In 2005, Bill Lucas (then head of my council (SHAC)), made $285k (with a $16MM budget)

That same year, Mary Vitek (head of our local GSUSA (San Jacinto Council), made $185K (with a $11MM budget)

In 2006, Clark Baker (head of Houston's YMCA's) made $487,802

Yawn. More power to him and the other execs. If the market will support them then they deserve to take it. If not, there's always McDonalds.

When I left industry to go to graduate school, they couldn't comprehend my decision. They insisted it was because I thought I wasn't paid enough. Actually, I liked the pay and the job. I just wanted to go for the other degrees (kind of like going for Eagle).

But they told me, as if to explain, as I left, "In the American economic system, you are paid according to what you contribute".

I have never forgotten that quote. It IS a mindset and in the market economy, who is to say it isn't true?

ACLU Salaries - from CharityNavigator (for 2005)

Anthony Romero Executive Director $300,000

Other Salaries of Note

Steven Shapiro Director of Legal Affairs $200,000

Donna McKay Director of Development $187,000

Emily Tynes Director of Communications $180,000

Check out what the National Commander of the Salvation Army is paid. The number will be different depending on where you look and Salvation Army isn't free with the information. However no matter where you look you'll find that the National Commander of a 2 billion dollar organization makes less that $90,000 and thats with benefits and the cost of the house that is provided. The house is Salvation Army property and does not belong to the National Commander. Not all charitable organizations are run by people in it for the money.

LH

I just read thru the comments... while interesting, it does show some of the hypocracy in the LDS culture...

Many of those posting say they'll never donate to FOS again, yet they don't question how their 10% tithe is spent.... I have yet to ever see any accounting for how much money is paid out to LDS professional staff and leadership.

Professional scouters have a lot more to deal with than the average volunteer scouter will ever be faced with. They deserve to be paid accordingly if you want a quality program.

One thing I do agree with from the Deseret comments is abandoning the compulsary nature of LDS scouting for both boys and leaders. I'd much rather have see boys earning their Eagle because it was a personal goal, and not because the church (and by association, their parents) demanded it be done. I'd also rather not be training between a quarter to a half of my districts unit leaders every 18 to 24 months...

Scout Executives on the Council and District levels put a lot of time into their work. They are constantly having to work with district volunteers and professionals from higher levels. They have to be concerned with membership, fundraising, and budgeting.

I am a 20 year old college student and have asked both professionals and district volunteers about becoming professional scouts. The district volunteers know how hard the work is and they'll let you know.

Plus keep in mind that a lot of district exectives are paid around $40,000. The same amount that a construction supervisor would be paid. Somewhere they have to make a little bit more to make the job and the responsiblities worthwhile.