Do you agree 100% with BSA policies?

As a foreigner (I'm in Australia), I'm wondering if there are ways of changing parts of BSA policies if enough members disagree with them? After all, society's values do change with time.

Or is it really a benevolent dictatorship?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" After all, society's values do change with time."

Is that a good thing. Now we're overrun with pregnant unwed teens who want the government to support them and their children because the fathers won't step up. Today's TV and movies promote promiscusous sex and drugs. Much of society has no values.

Back to your original question. Benevolent dictatorship. Changes happen but they are slow to happen. Of course, would you really want to belong to an organization that swayed like a willow tree?

Gonzo1, His photo is out there but you're not looking hard enough. I can't remember where, though, to help you out. But if you want it badly enough, you'll find it....;)

Trevorum, c'mon! Most of us are basically a bunch of malcontents. The good thing is that we can find enough common ground to hold it together in spite of the differences. Me, I enjoy the differences...more for some, perhaps, than others. :)

Packsaddle,

I know there's one somewhere.

Gern,

I thought it was the one with th pitch fork or the forked tongue, I can't remember.

Merlyn,

It's just a joke, I don't REALLY think the the devil. Devilish maybe, but not Lucifer, the ruler of the Lake of Fire, Great Eteranl Damnation and all that stuff. Just someone I don't agree with. The irony is that we probably agree on more things, but we don't discuss anything other than gay / atheist issues. How about knots and lashings? I like the one haned bowline best. How about fire building. I almost always use flint and steel, how about you? Gasoline and a flame thrower I bet. Again, just a joke, I don't think you own a flame thrower. ;)

Heh, heh, everyone knows I hope, that Lucifer (whatever name you wish to apply) doesn't really exist? He's (it's) just a myth. Kind of like the monster in the closet that scares the little kids. Just a fictitious being that we invented to personify evil or something. Right?

Gonzo1, heh, heh, you don't run a crematorium on the side do you? ;)

Trev, ahem, she was fictional too, right? You knew that didn't you? :)

I heard that recently some exorcisms were being performed in this region. Unfortunately I arrived too late. ;)

HiLo asked, "if there are ways of changing parts of BSA policies if enough members disagree?"

In the US, scout units are pretty much sponsored by two types of chartered organizations. Involved ones and uninvolved ones. The involved COs are typically churches, private schools, VFW posts, et al) who support the current policies. The uninvolved COs are typically PTAs and PTOs of public schools. Since those organizations are uninvolved, it does not matter if they support the policies or not. I think the COs are going to have to drive change and scouting volunteers would have to work thru the COs to make this happen.

I do not currently agree with all of the BSA policies. Put me in the group that thinks the positives outweigh the negatives.(This message has been edited by MarkS)