i have no idea where the term, "I don't give a hoot." Comes from?

Maybe, I'm just odd? But it seems to me that a lot of the stuff we spend so much time on, here in the forum. When I boil it all down is stuff that at the end of the day; is nothing that would make me want to give up my BSA membership.

I'm OK with the uniform.

I'm a little unsure how really important it is as a method?

But if the Powers that be came up with the idea that we were no longer to be a uniformed organization. I could go along with that.

Allowing homosexual adults to be leaders?

I seen what happened in the UK. A whole lot of nothing!

So I'd be OK with allowing homosexuals to serve.

Allowing some kind of "Outlander" Promise in place of the traditional Scout Oath, isn't going to be the end of the world.

Going coed or at least giving CO's the option, seems like a good idea.

Of course if all this were to come about?

What the heck ! Would we talk about?

Eamonn.

(This enlighted thinking might be due to me being stuck in a motel in Harrisburg for a week, missing HWMB0 and the dogs!)

Whether asking a lad to cook an edible omelette was adding to da requirements? :) Or perhaps there should be a percentage requirement on how much of the omelette is edible...

Whether Professional Scouters are worth it...

Whether troops that do any cross-country travel are really violating da G2SS Age Appropriate Rules - "Keep to the Code!" - or whether we should "Hang the Code! They're more like guidelines anyway! Arrrhhh!" (just caught Pirates of the Caribbean again with my granddaughter ;) )

We're just knot ever goin' to get away from it, eh? ;)

B

Fully realizing that this was not the intent of your thread, I will answer your first question (from etymology online):

"hoot c.1200, "to call or shout in disapproval or scorn," related to houten, huten "to shout, call out" (c.1225), probably imitative. First used of bird cries, especially that of the owl, c.1450. The noun meaning "a laugh, something funny" is first recorded 1942. Slang sense of "smallest amount or particle" (esp. in don't give a hoot) is from 1878."

Sticking to one's beliefs, even when in the minority, can be admirable. If we don't consider other viewpoints, though, we become vulnerable. What if we ARE wrong?

We have to continually look beyond ourselves to make sure we're still relevant.

Can you imagine how popular scouting might be if no one looked beyond their little fiefdom and we were still wearing wool tunics and jodhpurs?

I'm convinced that the arguing is good.

"Can you imagine how popular scouting might be if no one looked beyond their little fiefdom and we were still wearing wool tunics and jodhpurs?"

Yeah...not sure I want to see some of my fellow scouters in that outfit! Thanks for the image there, hot_foot.

Seriously, Eamonn's right (as ever) and most of the hotly debated topics here aren't really things that get much play in the "real world" of packs, troops, etc.. And that's good. I see this little section of the forum as more of an imitation of the way we "play" politics these days. There's darn little emphasis on pragmatic solutions and compromise in the media coverage of politics, even though that's really what most people probably would like to see (though NOT what we apparently want to see on our nightly news/infotainment coverage.) Hot button issues are so much more "fun" to rant about. "Look, I came here for an argument!"

On another note - it is snowing outside my window, first time this fall. Brr.

"Can you imagine how popular scouting might be if no one looked beyond their little fiefdom and we were still wearing wool tunics and jodhpurs?"

Excuse me, but some of us are still wearing tunics (at least on the occasional weekend), and while I haven't donned any jodhpurs (but I know people who do), I have been seen in tights. (Sorry, Lisabob, here's your bottle of mental chlorox.) ;)

I believe that BSA wore breeches with leggings not jodhpurs. Anyway if that's what we still wore the boys who wanted to be Scouts would still be Scouts.

Heck look at the number of people who wear pyjamas to kick and punch each other instead of wearing Everlast shorts like they should. The activity defines cool and not the clothing.