I am wondering what my own country thinks about all this.

On the same day the BSA sent their letter, the following countries sent WOSM a supporting letter:

Bangladesh, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Austria, Pakistan,

the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and the UK.

Altogether, the "dissidents" represent something about 70% of the membership.

Hmmm, sounds like something bis is going on.

If WOSM should fold and cease to exist, what would be the consequences.

best regards,

Volker

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah, hmmm...

I think it's probably reasonable to assume that in the next year if not next week we'll have a new General Secretary, eh? Even with the general anti-Americanism out there I can't see WSC not blinking.

The BSA's position is interesting, given that they have their own "Scout Center" in Philmont, used for some of the same things that the other "Scout Center" developments in WOSM regions are proposed for. And they don't particularly support the local councils or units financially any more than WOSM supports the needy NSO's. In fact, probably less.

But culturally, the Europeans are more used to scout huts and scout centers than we are in North America (or other continents). What seems natural for a troop/group in parts of Europe (owning property and its own scout hut) seems extravagant to us. And, too, the rest of the world is more used to scouts collaborating with other youth organizations than we are in the U.S. (one of the goals/markets for the Scout Centers). Here in the U.S., the BSA pretty much goes it alone, eh? These sorts of differences in cultural view may also be part of the disagreement.

I don't know enough about the Chilean Center to be able to comment any more. I've only been there once, well before all this bruhaha.

Beavah

While I think that the BSA could easily stand on its own without the WOSM I don't think that is really what they want to happen nor is it in their best interest given the idea of scouting being a worldwide brotherhood. The BSA would look like the bad guy pushing its weight around to the eyes of the rest of the world. It is more of a posturing gesture than anything else right now, however if they do carry out the threat then I feel the BSA's reputation would be greatly diminished with the rest of the world. Either way its a no win situation for all parties concerned.

Since everybody involved as shown signs of at least some goodwill, WOSM would be well advised to get all NSOs to a meeting at short notice to open negotiations.

After all, the "dissident" nations might have a valid point and that needs to be heard.

If we are thinking about WOSM as a democratic institution, the NOSs have a right to decide which course they want WOSM to set.

best regards,

Volker

I concur with the analogy of the current relationship between the United States and the United Nations. Why should one support financially the decisions of a "client" whose decisions one does not agree with.

I congratulate the National Officers Meeting in this matter; I only wish that Parents, Leaders, and Scout Districts were so conscientious and vigilant in regards to those decisions made by Councils in their name.

As the framers of Article I of our United States Constitution recognized even in 1787, the power over the purse strings is paramount, and it gets attention, quickly!

We shall see what the decision is in Cairo .... otherwise Sweden would seem to be "included out" of their own party.

Maybe I misunderstood the previous post (was there sarcasm involved?), but just to put things straight: How can one compare the United Nations to a client?

Do you compare your elected president as your client? If this was the case you would be actually stating that the bigger taxpayers should be able to stop paying taxes or ask the president to step down whenever they disagree with one of his decisions?.... And you would call that democracy??

The UN has the following purpose:

The purposes of the United Nations, as set forth in the Charter, are to maintain international peace and security; to develop friendly relations among nations; to cooperate in solving international economic, social, cultural and humanitarian problems and in promoting respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms; and to be a centre for harmonizing the actions of nations in attaining these ends.

Also: The Organization is based on the principle of the sovereign equality of all its Members.

If one starts swinging money around, we should just forget about the UN all together... and same thing would go for WOSM...

http://tinyurl.com/39mzqb

Cairo, Egypt, 12 November 2007

DECISION ADOPTED BY CONSENSUS

The World Scout Committee

acknowledging that the letters received from a group of National Scout Organizations (NSOs), the Chairman of the World Scout Foundation (WSF), Boy Scouts of America (BSA) and Swedish Scouts, as well as those from other NSOs expressing a contrary view, all contain legitimate concerns that demand the attention of the WSC and, more globally, the World Scout Conference

at the same time, deploring in the strongest terms the unilateral actions and demands that have been made by BSA and the Swedish Scouts requesting the resignation of the Secretary General (SG) which have placed the future of the World Organization in jeopardy

recognising that Eduardo Missoni is a devoted Scout who has committed himself fully to the World Organization in his role as Secretary General and has enjoyed the solid support of the WSC during his tenure

After considering all avenues possible to resolve this crisis with the various actors, the WSC, faced with the critical economic situation and its legal and penal consequences for the operational structure of WOSM, has considered it had no alternative but to undertake the following process:

1. recognises, with deep regret and taking into account the decision of the SG not to resign, decides to negotiate with him his departure as Secretary General. This includes transfer of executive power effective today and external representative functions from the 30 November 2007.

2. commits to engage in a process of in-depth dialogue with the Chairman and Board of the WSF to seek solutions to the issues that currently divide the WSF and WOSM, notably in the areas of governance and transparency on both sides; and seeks an equal commitment from the WSF to play their part in that dialogue and search for solutions within both bodies that will be the basis for a renewed commitment to the partnership between WSF and WOSM into the second century of Scouting

3. commits to engage in the same kind of problem-solving process with the BSA and other NSOs to resolve issues that divide them, to enter into a renewed 'covenant' that will ensure that when problems arise in the future they are addressed quickly, in full transparency, and exclusively through the proper democratic and constitutional channels of WOSM

4. As a consequence, invites the WSF, BSA and the Swedish Scouts together to fund the costs associated with the departure of the Secretary General and the recruitment process of another, and requests them to do so without interfering in any way in that process so as to ensure the independence of the WSC and WOSM in managing this fundamental aspect of their constitutional authority

5. commits to deal with all the issues raised by the current constitutional crisis in time for the World Scout Conference in Korea, in collaboration with the Governance Review Task Force and in full transparency with all NSOs, so as to be able to bring proposals to the World Scout Conference to remedy the structural and other deficiencies that have been identified, in such a way that a satisfactory response is brought to the questions raised by all the NSOs which have expressed themselves, especially those who have asked for a meeting in preparation for the Korea Conference

6. calls on all actors in this process to exercise maximum effort to preserve the image and integrity of World Scouting in the wider world.

And the million dollar question, what happens to the poor Scout who is involved in an international event that is open to WOSM and WAGGGS members. We have some local young people.. Scouts and Venturers that have just signed up to attend an international event early next year. If we aren't a WOSM member, are they just out of luck???

As so many of us have said over and over, it's all about the kids.