Inappropriate Adult Knots

Now I know what ScoutPride is; I had never heard of this group.

As for the knot:

"It helps identify scouts and scouters who are safe to approach and are supportive of those who are currently threatened with exclusion from Scouting, thereby contributing to a healthier environment for the youth in the program."

This seems to make the presumption that the knot will be recognized.

Ed

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"This seems to make the presumption that the knot will be recognized. "

Ed, just by wearing the patch, I become known to the Scouts in my unit. Whether they know what the knot is not, word gets around that "Mr. T is tolerant"; if a Scout in my unit is gay or non-theist (and there are) they know I will accept them for who ther are.

I don't care whether the knot is "recognized" by another adult or knot.

Heck, I'll talk to anyone who's willing to talk back. Even getting yelled at is somehow satisfying.

I have seen the knot before and I have never heard anyone comment on it in any kind of critical way. For that matter, I could probably pop the top on a long neck and guzzle it down on the trading post porch on parent's day and no one would notice.

Yep, I can just hear the Scouts, "Mr X is wearing that knot. I bet he's gay. I not comfortable being around him." OR " Hey, that kid is talking to Mr. X. I bet the kids gay." And the parents, "Mr X has that knot on his uniform. I wonder if he's trawling for boys?"

On the flip side, how does the boy know that an adult leader won't flip out and toss the Scout, when approached about their orientation or religious beliefs?

I think I'm going to design a new knot patch. It will have an illustration of a stick in mud. That way everyone else will know that I am tolerant of gays and atheists, but I don't want them in BSA. Not bcause someone thinks I don't like them, but BECAUSE BSA SAYS THEY AREN'T ALLOWED IN BSA!!!!!!!!!!

I know, there is an argument that ASM915 pointed out, some are in the closet. I'll concede the point, some are in the closet. Fine! Stay there! If closeted cheaters are found out, toss 'em, toss them fast than Harry Wendlestedt tossing Bobby Cox from another baseball game!

If a scout has some "question" about his identity, he can ask his parent, doctor, minister, gym teacher, another teacher, school counsellor, any adult in the troop, a cop, fireman, etc. I don't think that adults should put unauthorized and controversial patches on their uniform as a signal to scouts or scouters that it's somehow "okay" to talk with this person about gay and atheism issues.

I can see passions run high regarding garb. ;) At moments like this I ALWAYS like think about decorator crabs.

http://www.divegallery.com/decorator.htm

They stick all sorts of things all over themselves. Probably not to be conspicuous, however. But to me their insistence in doing this is comical. But no matter what things they 'wear', underneath all that stuff....they're still a crab. :)

And for some reason, my comparison to people seems to really irritate most women. Go figure.

Gonzo, see, when I read (hear) passionate statements like that, my tendency is to rebel. So now I'm really tempted to play the part of the crab and add that knot - maybe some anemones as well. ;)

Yeah, I'm making a new "unofficial" knot, the "Prevaricator's Knot" for those who support tolerance towards not telling the truth, since after all, who's to say what truth is, my truth and your truth are two different and utterly contradictory things. It's my way to fight against the power and show that I'm for diversity. I want all scouts I encounter to feel free to discuss with me their confusion about telling the truth always, so I can affirm them in their search for their own truth.

After all, who's to say that "honest" really means telling the exact truth all the time, anyway. The concept of one unalterable truth is probably a culturally conditioned prejudice that is thankfully giving way to a much more open and understanding view which holds that each person has his own truth, and therefore no one can compel us to one form of "honesty." The BSA needs to get with the times and change this antiquated notion.

Next up: knots for disloyalty (only a rigid paternalistic worldview holds up loyalty as some type of unalterable virtue); disobedience (parents and authorities are often wrong, after all); spendthriftiness (why hoard your goods when people are suffering); and so on.

"After all, who's to say that "honest" really means telling the exact truth all the time, anyway. The concept of one unalterable truth is probably a culturally conditioned prejudice that is thankfully giving way to a much more open and understanding view which holds that each person has his own truth, and therefore no one can compel us to one form of "honesty." The BSA needs to get with the times and change this antiquated notion. "

Well if we hope to develop scouts who aspire to political leadership in our current democracy this approach seems like it would be the best way to develop leadership most likely to actually get elected.

SA