Perry book to tout Scout values

Perry book to tout Scout values

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA103107.10B.PerryBook.31f57c2.html

http://tinyurl.com/2a97dx

10/30/2007 10:11 PM CDT

Peggy Fikac, Express-News

AUSTIN Add another title to Gov. Rick Perry's resume: author of a book defending Boy Scout values against "lawsuit-happy do-gooders."

The GOP governor, who proudly wears his Eagle Scout pin on his lapel, has written with some assistance a book on scouting that paints the organization as a leading indicator in the battle between right and wrong.

The book isn't due until February, but Perry described it in remarks Tuesday, referring to a U.S. Supreme Court decision in a lawsuit brought by a gay man who was denied a post as assistant scoutmaster.

The court said in 2000 that the Boy Scouts and other private groups can set membership standards, but Perry said the Scouts have since been denied the use of some facilities. The case is one of a number that have been brought against the Boy Scouts.

"At its core, this war is really not about the Boy Scouts. The Scouts are merely a listening post on the perimeter, sounding the early alarm on other impending attacks on our values," Perry said in a speech to the Boy Scouts of America Capitol Area Council, which gave him the group's Distinguished Citizen Award.

Perry whose conservative credentials have been questioned after his endorsement of more liberal GOP presidential contender Rudy Giuliani said he can be counted among the Scouts' defenders.

"I will plant my own flag in this war when a book I have written on scouting is published," he said. "I hope to let the world know that this conflict isn't just an intellectual exercise: It is a battle for the very future of our country."

Civil rights lawyer Jim Harrington also an Eagle Scout called Perry's focus "a travesty."

Harrington, director of the Texas Civil Rights Project, disagrees with the Boy Scouts' prohibition on gay people as leaders, saying the group instead should focus on whether a person may be a danger regardless of sexual orientation. But Harrington sees the organization itself as valuable.

"What the Boy Scouts should be about, and what I always figured we were about ... (is) bringing everyone into the community, accepting differences even differences that you don't understand or necessarily agree with to make a better society," he said. "And to teach boys how to work with each other ... not to teach them hatred, and not to teach them division."

Perry spokesman Robert Black said Perry has been talking about writing such a book for years. While he had some help from a source whom Black refused to name, Black added, "He put a lot of it down on paper himself."

Black wouldn't divulge the book's publisher or title.

--

pfikac@express-news.net

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee, thanks there, Gov'nor Perry, for further politicizing the Boy Scouts of America. I can't help but think this is a politically motivated move, designed to get potential party supporters up in arms and to the polls. If we could have a moratorium on all politicians using the BSA, especially during a presidential election year, I'd be a lot happier.

"And to teach boys how to work with each other ... not to teach them hatred, and not to teach them division."

You know, I see this 'hate' thing mentioned fairly frequently by BSA detractors, yet for the life of me, I cannot find anything in my Woods Wisdom book, my Scoutmaster handbook, lesson plans, etc. that provides any guidance whatsoever on teaching hatred. Does anyone know where I can find a resource on this so I can put on a proper Skilbase on the subject?

I think our society has changed the meaning of the word 'hate'. Its now 'if you disagree with me, its hate'.

:-)

If you disagree with me, prejudge me as an individual because of some erroneous notions, proclaim me unclean, immoral and incapable of ever being "the best kind of citizen", call me out as the ONE kind of person to explicitly label unworthy of association, and implicitly teach the boys in your charge (some of whom are undoubtedly, quietly, discovering they are gay) that all this is acceptable behavior, then yeah, I'd call it hate mongering.

Justifying it all based on lies ("watch out, gays are dangerous, wink wink") or sanctimonious interpretations of God's rules, then it's arbitrary hate mongering.

But you know what? I have no problem with you hate mongering and prejudging gays. Go right ahead... if the parents that place boys into your unit want to teach that lesson, it's up to them. Most will eventually, painfully, realize their bias was evil, or their kids will some day dismiss it as yet another unfortunate injustice of their forefathers.

But why force the parents of my unit to join in your hate mongering and prejudice? If your chartered partner wants to "own" that type of lesson plan, why should mine have to as well?

On one count we can both agree... some day, final judgment will be rendered... I'm comfortable my "sin of gayness" harmed no one, debased no one and would jive with the catchy "WWJD" far more than the other side.

The part where Jesus condemned BEING gay must have been edited out of my version of the Bible... maybe the editors redacted it since they needed so much room for what Jesus taught about prejudice and sanctimony.

Romans 1:26,27

For this reason God gave them up to degrading passions. Their women exchanged natural intercourse for unnatural, and in the same way also the men, giving up natural intercourse with women, were consumed with passion for one another. Men committed shameless acts with men and received in their own persons the due penalty for their error.

It's there!

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

I'm with Lisabob. Politicians from either party do scouting a disservice when they attack or defend the organization based their political point of view. It further politizes the movement and one way or the other turns off 50% of the adults and their children towards scouting.

I wanted my son to join and enjoy scouting so he could develop character, fitness and citizenship. It certainly wasn't to make a political statement one way or the other. This book does not help scouting at all.

SA

How can you make the claim that the book doesn't help Scouting at all when it hasn't even been published yet?

If this were a book authored by a gay politician who was also Eagle Scout, the usual loud voices above would be crowing about how it was good to see someone take a positive stance on the issues.

Kudos to Rick Perry for being willing to take a stand. Too many people have stood silent on speaking out against the gay agenda because of fear of being labeled a hate-monger.

What you do in your private life is up to you.

But don't expect others to hold you up as a role model...

Thanks Ed... Romans is from the same Paul's epistle that supports the oppression of women and accepted slavery as a normal social practice, right? I guess we'll pick and choose his words carefully, like some of the other editors and revisions of the Bible along the way?

I read those Romans passages as such: heterosexual men and women left the church, became pagan and engaged in orgies that were unnatural to them (they had group sex with men and women both, when their "natural" state was heterosexuality).

Knowing, as I do, that being gay is my natural state, given unto me by God and not of other influence, it seems to me Romans 1:26-27 says I would be wrong to become pagan, commit idolatry and have an orgy with women.

Also, many people think the context of Paul's comments in that passage is important. The very next passages are Paul warning Christians not to be self-righteous when they see others fall into sin or to castigate or judge others.

Got any scripture where the Bible's condemning me simply for being gay, without rapping it up in a context of rape, prostitution, sex with slaves or children or as part of a group pagan expression?

1You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things.

Romans 2:1

Sounds clear to me...

Nah, eoleson, I would be equally unhappy with the politician in your example doing that. However, it seems a pretty unlikely scenario. Plain and simple, I'd like our politicians to keep their greedy little mitts off of scouting. If they want to take a stand on homosexuality (or whatever else), great, go do it. Plenty of real, adult-level, issues out there to talk about. How 'bout medical care and rights for the partners of gay people? Whether or not gay couples can legally adopt children? Tax benefits denied to gay couples based on their inability to get (legally) married in most states, etc., etc. Plenty of real adult topics to take a stand over, one way or another.

My problem is that the BSA is a YOUTH organization. Politicians of any party or ideology who trot out their feelings about a youth organization like the BSA for political gain in an election year deserve to be greeted with some skepticism, if you ask me. Color me cynical but I'm having a hard time believing any other explanation for the nature and timing of Perry's forthcoming book.