Community Day backs away from BSA over its gay policy

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...it should be obvious that the BSA's freedom of association is often in direct conflict with their own sponsors, or potential sponsors, freedom of association and that when those sponsors, especially those sponsors that are a tight knit community such as Community Day hear from their members, the BSA loses sponsors and potential members.

I am not a member of the Assemblies of God, but there's a quote that was forwarded to me once that pretty much sums up why BSA shouldn't be budging on this issue:

Today, families with members who choose a homosexual lifestyle sometimes call for social acceptance of the deviant lifestyle. Some churches hearing this cry or impacted by revelations of homosexual clergy within their ranks have responded by advocating a gay-friendly theology of compassion. But lowering Gods holy standards to mankinds sinful preferences is an abomination in Gods sight. As members of the body of Christ, we must not ignore Gods clear admonitions.

I would rather see BSA shrink and stand their ground on what they see as moral issues, than to cave into pressure and lower their standards.

Lowering our standards because of public pressure has created far more problems in this country than not. Just look at our schools....

Again, exactly what principles do you not want to abandon? I'm having real trouble figuring that out.

If it's Biblical inerrancy, are you prepared to explain all other parts of the Bible you choose to ignore or interpret differently? And regardless of whether you are, why should the Bible matter to Scouting? Scouting doesn't claim the Bible is any more or less relevant to them than other "holy scriptures".

So what principle are you being asked to abandon?

Wow, this thread has EVERYTHING! Brent trashing Beavah, Merlyn cracking jokes, OGE plagiarizing a Beatle, Ed missing the point, biblical infallibility...and not even two pages yet.;) Nice.

But it looks like BSA has noticed some of the inconsistencies and backed off a bit. Still a few left though. Just a matter of time. It will happen.

As I was reading, then posting this article, a question came to my mind. I understand why the Jewish school chose to relinquish its sponsorship of the unit due to BSA's policy on gay leaders.

But I wonder if they are OK with BSA's policy of excluding atheists? I wish the reporter had asked that question -- it would be interesting to hear their views on that policy, and how that might affect their willingness to sponsor a unit (or not).

I don't think that ed's missed the point.

Changing your position because of the natterings of outsiders never makes an organization stronger. Look at the Girl Scouts. They keep changing trying to be relevant but they don't seem to attract the girls that they change to please.

>>>Why should the BSA abandon their stance on homosexuality? Because everyone else has? Because times have changed? Because a kid would be upset because his gay parents aren't allowed to be members because they don't meet the criteria? Where does it say everyone gets to do everything they want?

The BSA should stick to its guns. In the end, they will be a stronger organization.

OGE: "You may say I am a dreamer, but I am not the only one perhaps someday you will join us and the world will live as one"

HOW DARE YOU! Quote the lyrics of a song that clearly promotes atheism. I'm beyond offended!

Tile :John Lennon - Imagine

Imagine there's no Heaven

It's easy if you try

No hell below us

Above us only sky

Imagine all the people

Living for today

Imagine there's no countries

It isn't hard to do

Nothing to kill or die for

And no religion too

Imagine all the people

Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer

But I'm not the only one

I hope someday you'll join us

And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions

I wonder if you can

No need for greed or hunger

A brotherhood of man

Imagine all the people

Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer

But I'm not the only one

I hope someday you'll join us

And the world will live as one

Here is the the saddest part of all to the reform Jews their kids never get to be scouts, even though they can join an outside unit, the Jew's like other traditions their faith and culture and community are inseperable, so who really is the loser here? THE KIDS.

The bottom line here boys and girls whether you like it or not the BSA membership today is about 60% LDS and the National office will NEVER do anything to offend their largest chartered partner. Every policy National puts out regarding religion or ethics is pre approved by the top leaders of the the LDS church. IMHO this is what really is at the root of BSA credibility question and one of the main reasons that our numbers continue to go down on a national level. To borrow from OGE, "You may say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one..."

I have always felt that scouting was a unifier for youth of all backgrounds not as a devisive agent putting people at odds with each other at it seems to be currently. I think we owe our kids better than that and put away all of our own political agendas.

LDS is indeed the largest single CO, but they're not anywhere near half the membership. They're about 12-15% of the registered members, and about 25-30% of the registered units.

But, their members do make up about 50% or more of the FOS contributions and bequeathments to Scouting, so you're correct that they have a larger voice at the table than some of the more liberal CO's.

On a membership basis, both the United Methodist Church and Catholic Church have almost as much influence, so it's not just the LDS throwing their weight around where issues of faith and morality are concerned.

(This message has been edited by eolesen)