Movie Review: "Into the Wild"

My wife and I saw this movie recently. The critics tend to love the movie but I find it somewhat disturbing. I look at the story as that of a narcissist who foolishly puts himself into a situation where he eventually starves to death.

The movie portrays the young man''s parents as pretty awful people and the primary justification for the hero walking away from everything. Even accepting the awfulness of the parents as factual, I find it hard to think that the hero''s solution is praiseworthy. The most interesting parts of the movie are his adventures in the lower 48 states. There are some interesting characters and fine acting presented there. The hero walks away from those people too. (I keep referring to the main character as the "hero" since I cannot remember the name of the character.)

I have not read the book on which the movie was based and do not intend to do so. Apparently it is all based on the diaries he left behind.

Frankly there is one episode that I doubt actually happened. He is shown buying a used kayak and making it through the Grand Canyon alive, by himself, with no apparent experience in white water. I wonder.

Why do the critics think that a movie that celebrates stupid reckless behavior that causes great pain to others who did no harm, namely his sister, and the eventual death of the main character brought on by his own stupidity, is a great movie?

Edited by RememberSchiff
remove doublespace

Thanks for the review. I''m waiting for the movie to reach our market - I would really like to see it. I did read the book, years ago.

I have been reading reviews for the past month or so. Salon actually had a pretty good review, though I''m no big fan of Salon. That review pointed out that Alex Supertramp (Chris McCandless) ran away from his family, but was always seeking out a surrogate family on the road. From what I''ve read, Sean Penn wasn''t really going for hero worship, but more to exploring the wander lust that exists in most of us, at some level. Definitely a sad story, but also very intriguing.

Edited by RememberSchiff
remove doublespace

I read the book last year whilst on a Krakauer bend and during a tour of Alaska myself. We stayed at a lodge probably within 50 miles of the bus.

Haven''t seen the movie, but probably will soon.

I don''t think Krakauer portrays the main character as a hero, but as just an interesting person and life story. Tragic ending no doubt. Many Alaskans think he is just a stupid kid out of his element, others may view him as a free spirit searching for the meaning of life.

In the book, he navigates the Colorado to the sea in a canoe not a kayak. Even more amazing if true.

In any case, the story is compelling and worthy of telling.

I agree with Eisely. I read the book a few years back and because of that I will not view the movie. I won''t rent it. I see nothing redeeming about this story except, perhaps, as a model NOT to followed by someone else. It IS tragic and the whole thing was not necessary. Nothing heroic about thinking errors piled on thinking errors.

Come on, pack, Chris was just a man before his time! Look at all his imitators - Survivorman, Man Versus Wild, I Shouldn''t Be Alive.

I think the movie does the same thing as the book - presents the story in a way so the viewers can look at his actions and try to answer the $64,000 question - why? That is why I want to see it, to see if I can gain any additional insight into why such an intelligent person could end up doing something so stupid. I don''t think it is meant to glorify his life, especially in a way that would encourage others to follow his path. The funny thing is I''m not a big Sean Penn fan either, but I do really want to see the movie.

Edited by RememberSchiff
remove doublespace

I read the original article in "Outside" magazine about this kid and what happened to him. (the author would later turn this into the book, which I never read).

Alex struck me as someone who foolish put himself in danger, and sadly paid the price.

I recently read a followup article on the matter in National Geographics "Adventure" magazine, which spoke of the then upcoming movie, the research into the book, his parents, etc.

I''m reminded about the guy who got trapped in the wilderness and had to cut off a limb (leg or arm, can''t recall) and wrote a book about it recently. I recall how others spoke of him needless putting himself in danger. Thus this was more of a terrible tragedy that befell someone, and more of something that might have been avoided had this guy not done stupid things...

Edited by RememberSchiff
remove doublespace

I too read the Outside article and that was enough for me.

Survivorman - He didn''t

Man -vs Wild - Wild wins

I shouldn''t be Alive - guess what, your not!

Alex Superdumb would be a better moniker.

Edited by RememberSchiff
remove doublespace

I think you are all focusing on the outcome, not the travels. The character rejected everything we as a society hold dear. That''s whats interesting and worthy of a story. Family, wealth, occupation, possessions. He clearly was intelligent and motivated. Not your typical wino bum or panhandler.

When I read the book, I kept being reminded about the materialistic world which we live in. He rejected that. I can''t say as I have. Was he right or wrong? I don''t know. But he had the focus to live his life as he saw fit. He made a bad judgement testing himself in the Alaskan wilderness but so be it. I don''t disparage his journey because of it, but view it as another example of such a great country we live in that allows someone to do what he did.

Alaskan National Guard airlifts Into the Wild bus to safer location.  What to do with it?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/wild-bus-removed-alaska-backcountry-public-safety-n1231591

“We encourage people to enjoy Alaska’s wild areas safely, and we understand the hold this bus has had on the popular imagination,” she said in a release. “However, this is an abandoned and deteriorating vehicle that was requiring dangerous and costly rescue efforts. More importantly, it was costing some visitors their lives.”

200619-alaska-bus-mn-1445_32775c2c4a7c57

An example of Bus 142 pilgrims.

Edited by RememberSchiff