Youngblood,

I am glad you were given the book. I take it you went to it to try to find something to justify your position.

'I will quote exactly out of the book I was given at camp school, " b. Policy determination and application". '

Your quote is a heading, a fragment of a sentence, not even a complete thought. Generally, I expect that the beach director will have read a little further and put a little more thought into "policy" than that. There are many things that someone in charge can insist on when they are given authority. There are a lot of things that I "have always been told..." that turn out to be wrong or poorly thought out.

You might just determine that "policy" on "your" waterfront. The problem is that the scouters in the original post actually thought folks like you knew what you were talking about. They thought the boy could not wear goggles or clips during a swimmer's test. You indicated that you could not understand how someone could disagree with your position. You are adding requirements that are not in policy without a clear explanation to the leaders that you have departed from the written test requirements and the clarifications of those requirements. The GSS does not back you, the Camp School sentence fragment quoted does not back you. You do have some unnamed always been told authority whose qualifications I could not begin to judge and your requirement defies logic. Beyond the fact that you confuse the requirements misrepresent the authority you base it on and want to interpret requirements any way you see fit, I see no problem with your "policy".

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ed, I do not doubt that you have experienced boys on the waterfront. I know that most boys can swim without goggles and nose clips if they have too. I still stand firm when I tell you that some boys simply can not swim with out them. Keep in my mind that I watch over 3,000 boys take the swim test a summer and have been doing so for the last 5 summers. I know that what I speak of is true and happens.

FirstPusk, I never claimed that it was a specific BSA policy and that camps were wrong to pass boy's who used those aids. I have argued what my own personal belief is in the matter and my right to enforce a policy in the waterfront area I supervised. As far as not understanding people who didn't agree with me, I didn't understand how they could not appreciate my concern and my right to enforce such policy. I still don't know why you are fighting so hard to supposely prove that aquatics director cannot create a policy if he is uncomfortable with who he allows in the water and the boy's safety in mind.(This message has been edited by YoungBlood)

My take on this is that there is two test.

The first is a test given by the Aquatics Director gives to each person using the waterfront to determine their ablitity to swim. This test is given for safety reasons and should be make the Aquatics Director comfortable that the person that is using the waterfront will not panic and thus being a danger to themselves or others.

The second test is the one required for rank. This is a test of basic compentence in the water and should be done based only on the requirements in the Boy Scouts handbook.

What this means to me is that a boy can have passed the rank requirement, but still be classified by the Aquatics Director as a beginner or non-swimmer if they determine that it is necessary.