What to do about invisible scout

red feather: I meant "absent" instead of "removed" and I think my message would have been clearer. Someone who posted after my previous posting mentioned something about not adding requirements. I don't know if this was directed at my statement about expectations for leadership after the First Class rank, maybe they could clarify. I believe we MUST expect leadership, otherwise how do we arrive at the boy-led troop?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankj,

I agree with you, leadership is expected of scouts who are first class and higher. The BSA requires this leadership as well, four months between First Class and Star and then six months between Star and Life and then six months between Life and Eagle. Leadership in specific posiitons of responsibility. Those are requirements of advancement

Old Grey Eagle,

Not quite sure why you wrote this--------->"Gee, I didnt know the boss of the SPL was the Scoutmaster, when did that change occur?"

Maybe you could tell me................WHY?

Because I fail to see the humor in it, if in fact there was humor......(This message has been edited by chucklehead1985)

Chucklehead,

I laughed at OGE's comments. As a Scoutmaster, we have to remember (and are constantly told) that the boys lead the troop. I am nobodies "boss" in the troop.

I tend to agree that the "shows scout spirit" can be met with spotty attendance. However, I also believe that the leadership requirement requires leadership (a novel idea!) and not just elected to office. If a boy were elected SPL (in our troop for a six month "term") and only made a handful of meetings, did not provide input into the troop meeting agendas, annual planning, PLC meetings, etc. I would not sign off on his leadership requirement. And yes, the SM handbook, TroopMaster, etc. are all in agreement with this.

chucklehead1985

A Scoutmaster should never be a boss.

A boss is someone who gives orders and other people follow them.

Now a higher higher Authority, No I do not believe that a Scoutmaster should be a higher authority either.

A Scoutmaster SHOULD be a leader. A good leader leads by asking questions, pointing out reference so that real leaders (the SPL and his team) can run the troop. It should not be the SPL running the troop is should be him and his team which he selected.

I understand why you wanted to check to make sure it was okay to send this info out, but not sure how good it is, all of the info you need is within the Handbook and other BSA books.

I am hoping that it was just a wording issue and your troops SM is not a higher authority.

Do you understand what I am trying to say? The written word is not my strong suit!

Bottom line is your troop boy run?

Do the scouts decide where they will go for high adventures, campouts, plan the campouts, in writting, plan and run the meetings, with a agenda?

Chucklehead, have you been to your District/Council Junior Leader Training Conference or has any of your troop?

Is your Scoutmaster trained or any of your Committee?

I would venture to say no. When correctly done, a Boy Scout Troop is boy lead, this means its up to the Senior Patrol Leader and his Patrol Leader's Council (PLC) to plan campout and enlist the help of adults when necessary. Who prepares the menu's for your campouts? It should be the patrols. Who plans your meetings? It should be you. Yes, you have to make sure things get done, but its things you and the PLC came up with, not the Committee. The adults are supposed to support, not run the program.

Now, if I have misunderstood you, I apologize upfront, but if you are required to do the Scoutmasters and COmmittee's bidding then say so, and I have faith this forum will help you to get things done the BSA way

Thank you for taking the time to correct our Troop, its really appreciated?????????????

Yes for your info everyone is trained.......We like to do things differently, we dont wear our Class A's Everywhere, like MANY Troops we Dont follow the Patrol Method, because Frankly its dumb. The Scouts in our Troop are very close, we work as whole not as a small sector. We have 60 kids in our troop, so obviously we are doing something right!!!!!!!!!

"we Dont follow the Patrol Method, because Frankly its dumb."

Gee, And Lord Baden-Powell set so much stock by the patrol method, I guess thats because he was just some big doofus.

Its probably just as well you dont wear "class A's" everywhere (actually there is no such thing as a Class A in Boy Scouts) because then people would think your a Boy Scout troop, and we wouldnt want to confuse them.

Question,

How old is your troop? and how many Eagle's have you had???????????

Well, our Troop is 52 years old and have had at least 120 Eagle Scouts

SIR, how many scouts odes your troop currently have and how many Eagle's Have you had????and Remeber a scout is Honest, so dont make up a number to beat me.

Hi Chucklehead,

Should OGE decide to answer your question I would like you to consider something as you judge his answer. Nowhere in the scouting program is the quality of a troop measured by its age or the number of Eagle Scouts that have passed through their door.

Think about it. If OGE's troop was older would that automatically establish that it has a better program? If your troop was older would it? All tenure proves is your Chartered Organizations dedication to the use of the scouting program.

The Eagle Award is a testament to the scout not necessarily the scout troop.

So if not age and Eagles how is a scout program evaluated? By the use of the methods of scouting.

Since everyone in your troop has been to training you will not need them to be listed here. I'm sure you remember that one that was stressed was the Patrol Method.

As a scouting volunteer I have two concerns. The first that you enjoy your time in scouting and it sounds like you really do. I am very glad to hear that. My next, and equally important concern is that you received a true scouting experience, and I don't know how that can happen without the Patrol Method.

Best Wishes,

Bob White

chucklehead1985

Everyone here is trying to help.

Stick around and read and ask questions and you will learn allot. I did!

The size of a troop is not a indicator of a good troop. Nor the number of eagles produced.

The committee job is to provide transportation and to make sure that the program is following the correct path.

Do you fell your troop is boy run?

Could it be better?

I have yet to see a troop that could not improve in some way.

If you do not follow the patrol method, what method do you follow?

Do you have a special handbook that does not use the patrol method, requirements to camp and cook for your patrol?

Do you know what the goal of Scouting is?

I actually dont know how old the troop is, I think something like 40 years or so, and again, I dont know how many Eagle scouts the troop has produced, I would guess less than 120, probably much less.

The measure of a troop is not the number of Eagles it produces, its number of scouts who make first class in their first year, its how much fun the scouts have planning their program and making it happen, how much they learn about leadership and apply the three aims of scouting in their life.

Chucklehead, I didnt mean to get in a spitting contest with you. I am glad you are proud of your troop. I was trying to point out, perhaps with decidely less tact then I should have, that it didnt sound like you are in a boy lead troop. Many troops feel its Eagle rate is validaiton for the manner in which it operates. Thats not the BSA way, but that doesnt mean Troops cant operate however they wish.

I hope you have a great time in scouting