What to do about invisible scout

Bob,

All excellent reasons for not being at Troop meetings and other Scout activities.

Now, what about the Scout who didn't attend just because he didn't want to. No other reason. No sick people to take care of, etc. And you talked to him & he told you "I haven't been coming to Troop meetings because I didn't feel like it". Nothing more. How would this relate to Scout Spirit?

asm7,

My Troop doesn't have any attendance requirements unless the Scout is in a position of responsibility.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he is not coming to meetings then he wouldn't be expecting to advance or be passing advancement requirements.

That is not what this thread is discussing. The question here is can a scout return from an absence and continue toward Eagle, and the answer is yes. If he can give examples of living by the Oath and Law in his everyday life then he passes the qualifications of Scout Spirit, because Scout Spirit does not include an attendance requirement.

If you want to change the conditions of the discussion please start a new thread.

Bob White

Outstanding thread that I can relate to. All from Scouters that I respect.

One of the challenges that I sometimes have as a Scoutmaster, is if a Scout becomes active again (maybe to make that run to Eagle), and needs that 6 months of leadership. We have a small Troop with limited positions. I know the SM can create a position, but it has to be substantial for the Eagle rank. Also, we sometimes have transfers from other Troops who are looking for an easier route to Eagle, and I still have the same problem. Our Troop has elections, and the positions are taken. JASM's are a waste with a Troop this small, and the younger Scouts who have been paying their dues, don't like to see these new older Scouts up on Staff with all of the perks and privledges.

Thoughts and ideas??????

sst3rd, had one of those. Made the scout a Troop Guide assisting a ASM as mentor and coordinator of a first year patrol.

Responsibilities included tracking advancement and ensuring the proper skills were being taught. Helping train the PL and APL in leadership skills. It was neat to watch the young man grow into his position while finishing his Eagle.

Luck

yis

If the Eagle Candidate has majority of his req's. signed off by the previous scoutmaster except for his: Scout Spirit, Eagle Project and Board. Not much can be done but to ENCOURAGE him to HELP with the unit while he is working on his project.

Scout Spirit is about living the Oath and Law. As a Scoutmaster, I make it a point to network with the Scout's parents, teachers, friends, and minister. Is it hard? NO, because I enjoy doing it.

Yes, I have had and continue to have Life Scouts who leave the troop and come back before their 18 birthday to finish thier Eagle. Do I get frustrated? Yes, I do BUT the Handbook states I can not add to or take away from any requirements for any awards. I have yet to have heard any of my younger Scouts complain about a scout coming back to finish his Eagle Award. They are more than happy to see thier older peers come back.

Matuawarrior

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm a Life Scout and almost and Eagle havsnt missed one meeting and am urrently SPL. I think it is unfair for myself along with my ASPL who is also active we show up every week and do a good job of leading. It's unfair that kids that show up once a year show very little Scout Spirit, usually none and dont participate on outings can get Eagle. So our troop simply startes a contract idea. Once you become life you sign a contract that says, what the Troop's committee is expecting of Eagle Scout Elects. It is then signed by the scout, parent and Witness. So this way, it is black on white what will be ACCEPTED. This was approved by our District's Eagle Advisor.

OGE,

Considering some think being active = being registered this is very possible. I don't agree that being active = being registered. One must be registered to be active but just because one is registered doesn't mean one is active.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

After the attainment of the First Class, rank, shouldn't Scouts begin to "give back" to the troop? The requirementments seem to indicate so in that Scouts are obligated to hold some position of responsibility within the troop. I don't see how a Scout can be removed from the troop (inactive) and still qualify for Eagle within the spirit of the law.

Chuckle... and frankj welcome to the campfire. frankj, the scout has, as I understand has not been removed from the rolls, he has not been active in troop activities. Major difference.

Many scouts reach the age of the fumes. Perfume, and gas fumes and take a hiatus from 'active' scouting and return when they can and will.

Remember, (from a earler thread ( I think) some Eagles flap some soar, but they are all Eagles)

It is up to us to provide the opportunity to all who try to reach this award to help them atain it.

Personal requirements or thoughts do not have a place. Have they completed the requirements or on a deeper level, have they been given the opportunity to complete these requirments?

It the scout is working to complete, then it is up to us as adult leaders to try to make it possible within the guidelines.

yis

Once a scout makes Life, its not exactly a Hop, Skip and a Jump to Eagle. He has to earn 12 merit badges, serve 6 months in a position of responsibility and satisfactory complete an Eagle Leadership Service Project. I am not sure how a scout would do this unless he was active.

If a Scout makes Life, and gets all merit badges done, his 6 months in his posiiton of responsibility and completes his project and does all this in about 6-7 months he qualifies for Eagle. Now, you award him his Eagle and he is never seen again after the COH.

Now, some other scout also does all of the above except he doesnt have one elective merit badge. he drops out of sight for a few years and then when he is 17 yrs and 10months old he wants to know if he can do the Basketry Merit Badge and make Eagle. Whats the difference between this guy and the Eagle that flew the coop?

Dont add requirements, just be sure all are met