What to do about invisible scout

Chucklehead,

A couple things that need to be clarified. We are not talking outr opinion we are talking the contents of the scouting program as developed over 90 years by the volunteers of the Boy Scouts of America and represented in the training and program resources of the BSA.

Secondly the Eagle rank is not the goal of scouting. It is the highest achievable rank for a youth to achieve but nowhere in the scouting program is it represented as the goal. In fact the only advancement goal mentioned is First Class around the end of your first year.

If Eagle were the goal then we haven't done to well. Currently the national average is 5% of scouts achieve Eagle and that is the highest average we have ever had in our history.

And No, not everyone gets the same Board of Review, and that's the way it's supposed to be. Each board progresses according to the charactersistics brought to it by the individual eagle candidate.

I realize that what you are doing is working for you, but I am concerned by the number of things you believe to be true about the scouting program that are greatly in error. Not in my opinion but in the program and policies of the BSA. I am especially concered by your thoughts on the purpose of scouting.

Check your Handbook and see how much of what you have written is actually supported by the Handbook. The BSA handbook is not just a list of advancement requirements or a camping book. It has far more information on scouting than that.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic