Boy Scout mention in upcoming Adam Sandler comedy

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And reportedly, he no longer wanted to coach little league, no one wants pick-up basketball with him nor do his fellow firefighters want to share an open shower with him. Post it all or post nothing Merlyn. The BSA isn't the only group who thinks homosexuality is wrong!

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

Yes Ed, all examples of bigoted prejudice against gay people. Is there some reason you think you're in good company?

And by the way, Little League was declared a public accomodation years ago, and since the story is set in New York City, any Little League that did this would be in violation of New York's civil rights laws.(This message has been edited by Merlyn_LeRoy)

My point you seemed to have missed is it's not only the BSA who doesn't look favorably on homosexuality. It is the majority of the American public. And by you only pointing out the BSA from the article is irresponsible on your part. Either tell is all or nothing at all. Push your agenda elsewhere.

The BSA is a private organization who, according to the SCOTUS, can set it's own membership rules. You might not like that but it's the law.

And all the Little League has to do is say "your services are no longer needed". Nothing more.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10(This message has been edited by evmori)

Ed, do you realize that this is a MOVIE, and that it depicts a fictional story? But in the context of the story, Adam Sandler's character is discriminated against because he's pretending to be gay. In the case of Little League, it really is illegal for LL to discriminate against someone for being gay; that's not the movie, that's real life. And breaking the law in real life can have real consequences, like lawsuits.

Now, it's true that I neglected to post a synopsis of an entire movie I haven't seen, but for some reason you seem to think that's relevant. I don't. I was only pointing out that the only mention of the Boy Scouts in an upcoming movie is an unfavorable one highlighting their institutionalized bigotry against gays. You objection amounts to "Hey, OTHER people are bigoted against gays too!" as if that's some justification. It isn't.

No, Merlyn, my objection is your lack of divulging all the fact of the fictional movie to further your slanted view of the BSA.

And unfavorable, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10(This message has been edited by evmori)

Merlyn,

Adam Sandler movies have also shown the Devil ramming a pineapple up Adolf Hitler's arse. He is in the comedy business and (sorry Ed) the fact that homosexuals are now routinely used as a comedy device show to me that they are more accepted by society. Also, according to the link you posted, a dad tells Sandler he is no longer welcome to help with the Boy Scouts (not the BSA proper). Does that detail really matter? No.

I'm guessing your point, other than to bait Ed, is to "tweak" others on this board, who are Scouts and Scouters, about the BSA's policies toward gays and atheists. Well, if you really want to change the BSA, as opposed to gutting it, I don't think that is a useful method. Bash the BSA and what many will do is to dig in their heels and defend their policies with more ferver.

I asked my mother, born in 1925, about her attitude toward blacks when she was a youth. Her comments to me were enlightening. She felt no ill will toward blacks in her youth or as a young adult. She had a nanny who was black and well liked by her and her sister. But, she stated that blacks were porters, bell hops, nannys, janitors, etc. and in those integrated times she did not have contact with black doctors, teachers, etc. While in the Navy during WWII, the US government kept blacks as enlisted men with white officers, kept the troop separated by race, etc. So, yes, she thought while blacks were not "inferior" from a moral or ethical persepctive, from an intellectual perspective yes they were. Now, as she grew older in the 1960s her opinion changed. She was a product of her times.

I think the same will happen to those of different sexual orientations. Interracial marriage was thought to be immoral at one time. It may not happen as fast as some would like but I really feel that our society, the BSA included, will soften their stance on this issue.

I was completely devastated to learn of this movie.

I was writing a screenplay but they got there first. :( However, in my movie, the two fellows do not pretend to be gay, they just enter into a domestic partnership to take advantage of various social and financial benefits, all the while trying to convince their friends, family, and fiancees' that they are NOT gay. Hilarity and merriment ensues. Or would have ...

Ah well, I'm a lousy fiction writer anyway.

Not a problem acco!

Stating half the facts is a great method to use to get people to think your way. The only problem is when those you told half truths to realize what they were told were half truths the teller of the half truths credibility goes down the toilet! Then everything the teller tells is suspect.

Ed Mori

Stating half the facts is a great method to use to get people to think your way. The only problem is when those you told half truths to realize what they were told were half truths the teller of the half truths credibility goes down the toilet! Then everything the teller tells is suspect.

Gosh, I would never have pegged Merlyn as being a republican.

acco40, I think it's telling that the Boy Scouts are now firmly associated with discrimination against gays. Ed seems to think this is part of a good reputation. Ed also seems to think that not mentioning irrelevant parts of a movie is somehow dishonest (while having public schools practice religious discrimination is just fine).(This message has been edited by Merlyn_LeRoy)

acco40, I think it's telling that the Boy Scouts are now firmly associated with discrimination against gays. Ed seems to think this is part of a good reputation. Ed also seems to think that not mentioning irrelevant parts of a movie is somehow dishonest (while having public schools practice religious discrimination is just fine).

What it is saying is nothing. It's a comedy movie. No political statement is being made. The only one who is trying to make this political is Merlyn!

I think just mentioning that in the movie the irrelevant depiction of the Boy Scouts not wanting gay leaders & not mentioning the other irrelevant people & groups who feel the same way is nothing more than pushing ones own agenda! Why not point out the little league who illegally discriminated against Sandler in the movie (the BSA by not allowing gays is not illegally discriminating)?

Ed Mori

Ed writes:

It's a comedy movie. No political statement is being made.

Comedies can't have political statements? Chaplin's "The Great Dictator" had no political statement? "Dr. Strangelove" had no political statement?

I think just mentioning that in the movie the irrelevant depiction of the Boy Scouts not wanting gay leaders & not mentioning the other irrelevant people & groups who feel the same way is nothing more than pushing ones own agenda!

Ed, you don't even know what "relevant" means. This is "Issues and Politics" in a scouting forum, so a new movie that depicts the prejudice that gays face from the Boy Scouts is relevant to this forum. Little League bigotry against gays is NOT relevant to this forum. It would be relevant in a similar forum on politics & Little League, but that isn't what this particular forum is about. Your objections are beyond stupid; I notice YOU didn't mention that the filmmakers consulted with GLAAD on the movie -- why not? Your posting of half-truths makes your credibility go down the toilet, doesn't it?

Ed, you don't even know what "relevant" means. This is "Issues and Politics" in a scouting forum, so a new movie that depicts the prejudice that gays face from the Boy Scouts is relevant to this forum.

If that was the entire context of the movie I would agree but it isn't.

Little League bigotry against gays is NOT relevant to this forum. It would be relevant in a similar forum on politics & Little League, but that isn't what this particular forum is about.

And have you been to a Little League forum to register your disdain?

Your objections are beyond stupid;

When in doubt, berate.

I notice YOU didn't mention that the filmmakers consulted with GLAAD on the movie -- why not? Your posting of half-truths makes your credibility go down the toilet, doesn't it?

Because I didn't know they did. Thanks for pointing that out.

Oh yeah, you forgot to mention that while the BSA (a private organization with membership criteria) might discriminate, they are not doing anything illegal. Or isn't that relevant either?

Yeah comedies can have political statements. That would be known as satire. The ones you named are classics. Do all comedies make political statements? Nope. Is this movie a satire of how the BSA doesn't have to legally allow gays as members? Don't think so! And since I haven't seen the movie, only the trailers (which don't have this scene), I would think the mentioning of the Boy Scouts had no political motive what so ever.

Ed Mori