Troop Leader and Out -of-Wedlock Child

So it's "selfish for a woman to choose to conceive a child without a father in the picture", but it's *not* selfish for a man to choose a job that keeps him away from his family so much that the kids comment on it?

I'm not saying that your husband is selfish, Funscout, I'm just trying to understand what appears, to me at least, to be an egregious double standard.

Personally, I think all child-bearing (as opposed to child-raising) is inherently a selfish act. *We* choose to bring a child into this world because *we* want one. FScouter has brought up the "child's best interest". How much of the "child's best interest" (not to mention time and attention) does a parent have for the sixth or seventh or eighth child in a large family? Should we label those people as selfish and self-centered, too?

I have seen single-parent households (from birth, by choice) where the child received more time, attention, and love than the kids in some two-parent households. If we feel we must judge others' parenting, how about we do it on the actual, you know, *job* they do, and not how many people are present or their marital status?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic