Shooting at Virginia Tech

It seems appropriate to mention today's events at Virginia Tech, and to remember the more than 30 people who were killed. Its hard to imagine the fear that the members of the community must be experiencing, and the grief of the family of the victims.

Not to sound flippant, but the only thing I can think is: what the heck is happening to this world??

Three of "my" scouts are at Tech. One lives in the dorm (West AJ)mentioned and he and another are engineering majors (Norris Hall). Another is in the Corps of Cadets, who have their own dorm. We've only heard from two of the three so far. Not wanting to bother the stressed out families, I can only pray and hope all is well.

A student was quoted as the shooter wearing a "Boy Scout-type outfit"...not sure what that means, but I sure wish they had not used those words.

I have a scout at VT as well. Aged out as a 1st Class Scout last spring. One of those informal leaders that liked camping and hanging out with the troop, but didn't care for the advancement thing. Overall a good kid. Worried all day yesterday and didn't want to bother his mom who I'm sure had a traumatic day as well. Based on what I've heard today, I'm relatively confident our scout is OK.

I also have a son away at school and thought about how those parents must feel. The grief would be incomprehensible to me.

Thoughts and prayers go out to all.

SA

One bit of brightness in this horror is in an AP story making the rounds. Most of us remember the picture of a wounded male student being taken away from a building by a couple of police officers.

Turns out that that student was shot in the femure, severing his femural artery. Death was minutes away from severe exsanguination. In the confusion, chaos and horror, he thought clearly and found a power cord (probably to someone's laptop) and fashioned his own tourniquet. The doctors confirmed that he saved his life.

Where'd he learn to do that? He's a Eagle.

All of my scouts are now accounted for...Tommy lived on the 4th floor of West AJ...the same floor where the shootings occured. All three are on their way home for a long weekend. I sent them all an e-mail offering the love and support of their Troop...

A Pastor interviewed early on admonished people not to blame God for this tragedy...that "God does not plan for people to be murdered". I'm having a real hard time with this...if God is omniscient and omnipotent, why does He just stand by and watch...