"Rule of 25" and Religious Emblems

I agree with Mr. Burke. But I surely don't think the government should make people stop evil.

Fair point ASM.

Though I would continue to say there is an absolute right or wrong, I would say it is possible to respect a belief without believing it.

Though I do not believe in Judaism, I respect it due to its long presence in the hearts and minds of men through the ages. Scientology on the other hand, respect level is about zero. Hubbard just made it up out of the blue like 50 years ago.

That said, even old ideas can be wrong. Thinking again of the Aztec human sacrafice.

The time thing is just one component of evaluating beliefs to me.

Burke's quote is also much better at evaluating political and social ideas than political ones, but that is a different story of a different day.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ASM915, the CoG already tried to charter some scout units - the national BSA refuses to charter any units to them. That way Wiccans can never get an officially recognized religious award, which is ap

OK, The Scout, here are a few tidbits from our founding fathers, regarding our alleged 'heritage':   Jefferson, "To talk of immaterial existences is to talk of 'nothings'. To say that the human sou

As I understand it, Bobby Henderson created the Flying Spaghetti Monster as a response to the Kansas school board's position on creationism and evolution. He could have used any established creation story from any religion, but chose to create one from whole cloth in order to not bring ridicule upon any religion.

Ed