A Culture of Fear

A friend of mine sent this to me from another Scoutin' forum. Seems apropos to some of da other discussions.

-------

I happened to hear an interesting statistic yesterday. Violent crime is down 20% in the last 30 years, but the reporting of violent crimes in the television media is UP 600% in the same period. No surprise. These days locate a plane crash somewhere to report on, even if it's half way around the world. Goodness knows it's also mandatory these days to include a terrorist attack and a threat to children in every broadcast.

The statistic above reminded me of my grandparents, who passed away in the 90's. They were the sweetest, most generous and friendly people. Took in my cousins when they lost their father. Welcomed strangers. But in the last years of their lives, they stayed at home more, watched more TV. They started locking their doors. They avoided participating in the local block party. They worried more, became less friendly, were less happy and less generous.

They were victims of our Culture of Fear.

Scouting is also increasingly falling victim to our Culture of Fear. People can die. We must have more protection. We must fear for our kids. To do anything else is irresponsible. Un-American.

Fear of liability, even though the accident and claim rate is completely ordinary.

Fear strangers... so we teach "stranger danger" so effectively that boys hide from rescuers searching for them, and fail to trust the police and neighbors when abducted by bad men.

Fear friends, so that if a teacher gives you a hug, there's something wrong with that. And when you're thinking of suicide or harming others, there's no one to talk to, because your Scoutmaster and teachers and minister will never let themselves be alone with you. And you'd never admit that EXCEPT when you're alone.

Fear tools, so that half of Scouting believes boys should never pick up a power tool or climb a ladder over 6 feet.

Fear flying, so that even though it's 10 times safer than driving, we need special tour permits and waivers and restrictions to fly once around a boy's neighborhood for Aviation MB.

Fear the internet. Fear guns. Fear toy guns. Fear lightning. Fear playground equipment. Fear food. Fear lawyers. Fear laws. Fear hospitals. Fear games. Fear drinking water.

I'm coming to believe that the single strongest cultural message of modern America is Fear. That's what we stand for, and are teaching our kids. That's what uniquely identifies us among other cultures in the world.

Shame on us for doing that to the most optimistic nation on the planet. And double shame on us for letting that culture of fear and regulation into Scouting.

My New Year's resolution is to fight the trend. How about you?

Its not just about fear is about being "P.C"., in this case psychologically correct... so many little boys seem to have be emotionally scarred by what many used to call boys rights of passage that in the name of "P.C." we take all challenges away, we take all exposure to difficulties away, we take the chance to fail away...and then we wonder why little johnny can't handle the pressure in the real world...

Its not about scouts hammering scouts or anyone else for that matter. Its about jokes and humor and because some of us can deal with embarrassment we stop the game...and make everyone get off...and folks if you are still carrying the baggage of being embarrassed because you were naive..I'd suggest counciling you've been suffering way too long...

many years ago on a canoe trip we stopped and camped in a large farm field...complete with fresh cow piles... the first thing the older scouts did that night was organize a "run and drop" hike. It is where a leader starts running and everyone follows ...and when he says drop...everyone belly flops...this goes on for a couple of hours and by the end most guys have to walk down to the river to at least wash out their clothes... then they organized a typical snipe hunt...

I recall a very young scout (who had been one of my wolf/bear/webelos as a cub, staying out in the field for hours (it seemed) after everyone else "gave up". He still thought he would win the prize by catching a snipe...only after "coming in" later that night did he realize he had been "had". Did he run off and cry or start wetting the bed? no he just sat there eating his well deserved popcorn, listening to older scouts recount the shore line they searched for , the smoke shifters borrowed and the bacon stretchers asked for...all the while shaking his head and grinning "'cause he was now one of the gang".

BTW...He is now the troop SPL and about a month away from his Eagle...

Anarchist

a neanderthal(This message has been edited by anarchist)

I am giving up TV news for Lent!

If a kid fails it is not their fault. It is always the fault of the adult. There have been posters in this & other forums who believe this. While this is true some of the time, by always placing the fault with the adult, the kids are not held accountable for their end of the deal. And this does nothing more than set them up for more failure down the road.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

I tend to agree about the over-protectiveness of our society. But...

"I recall a very young scout (who had been one of my wolf/bear/webelos as a cub, staying out in the field for hours (it seemed) after everyone else "gave up". He still thought he would win the prize by catching a snipe...only after "coming in" later that night did he realize he had been "had". Did he run off and cry or start wetting the bed? no he just sat there eating his well deserved popcorn..."

I recall another youngster who never forgave the people who betrayed his trust in that way. They stole a piece of his innocence and his belief in the kindness of other people. It continues to amaze me that there are people who think this is OK. What part of "Trustworthy" and "Kind" do they not understand?

Even though I have a lot of great memories surrounding practical jokes, snipe hunts, and the like as young scout I do not allow them in my troop today. I am torn however in the reasoning which leads to this position. They stole a piece of his innocence and his belief in the kindness of other people. is the exact argument which was presented to prevent my showing the YP videos to my troop. Should we not allow talk of Santa, the Tooth fairy, and Easter Bunny among Tiger Scouts for the same reason? How about God? Many believe that that is taking advantage of the innocent and nave controlling them thru fear. Do we stop magic tricks which are meant to deceive, card tricks which are meant to exploit your gullibility or innocence? What would the forums response be to asking if telling all prospective new scouts and their parents that unless they are willing to have the wool pulled over their eyes occasionally they should not join this troop? Thin skinned need not apply! Wouldnt that be in keeping with the Oath and Law?

LongHaul

P.S. Kirk didn't actually beat the Kobayashi Maru senario, prior to his third attempt he surreptitiously reprogrammed the simulation computer to make it possible to beat the "no win" situation. He cheated! and was given a commendation for it. How un PC? Or was it?

A son climbs a tree.

His mother say, "Be careful!"

His father says, "How high can you go?"

How that for a totally politically incorrect response?

A daughter climbs a tree.

Her mother says, "Get down now!"

Her father says nothing, he knows better than to mess with that one.

The world around us is changing and scouting is changing too.

Kirk knew the Kobayashi Maru was a no win situation so he felt that Starfleet was cheating because they offered no way out so he cheated back. One could say it would be like having the scout sent out for a left handed smoke shifter come back with a twisted piece of ductwork that would make Rube Goldberg jealous.

All fun stuff, but if I remember corectly the Starfleet Academy was in the business of making Starfleet Officers and used tactics similar to todays basic training (See "Full Metal Jacket", "An Officer and a Gentleman") where the goal is to break down the individual and build 'em back to the image they need. Not sure how the Boy Scout program fits in

Starfleet didn't cheat. It designed a simulation to teach cadets that there are times when you can't win and you have to cut your losses. What do you sacrifice? As presented the cadet was to realize that one could not save the frieghter, save their own ship and avoid an armed conflict with the Klingons. What you deciide to do in situations like that sometimes determines how many next of kin letters have to be written. When you find yourself in a fire fight and can't reprogram the computer you'll wish you had learned what to to in school and not with bullets snapping past your head.

LongHaul

I'm part of that rare breedof scouter who has not read a biography of Baden-Powell yet. I'm just curious how he utilized pranks as part of the scouting program to thicken the hides of the younger boys and turn them into manly men instead of nancy-boys?

I was thinkin' as much about wheeled tennis shoes, solo tentin', and cub scout knives as I was about pranks when I copied this. We slip pretty easily into the "I heard an ER doc on Oprah who said he's seen injuries from these" or "I remember reading about an incident back in 1806 somewhere in Georgia"

and there oughta be a law/policy.

I'm with anarchist. Most learning happens when there's some pressure, and possibility or reality of failure. Military basic training capitalizes on it, sure. But then so does school tests. And so does sports. And so does computer games.

Adversity is tough. Overcoming adversity is wonderful.

Not that jumping to conclusions isn't the forums offcial form of exercise, but I am not sure anyone said Scouting should be easy...

I dont think I or anyone said a scout didnt have to learn and be able to use his knots, start a campstove or cook his meals.

I dont know anyone who said a scout should never fail at anything.

I have said multiple times that if a POR is not being fulfilled, the scout can and should be relieved of the position before he gains credit for rank. I dont know of anyone on the forum who doesnt think the scout should conform to all requirements for advacement.

if they cant swim 100 yards, doing your best is not enough, you swim 100 yards

pranking someone because you yourself have been pranked makes no sense to me