Under One God...but who's God?

packsaddle,

Right you are. On GOOGLING "Eagle scout application packet", it turns out that I had clicked on a couple of different Council sites. On entering the NESA site and pulling up the actual application, I see my error. Our Council just so happen to be doing the same thing as several other Councils when it came to requiring the 6 letters of recommendation.

As for world dominance, yes the arrogance and ignorance is there. My family, especially the oldest son has experienced it in our own church (and Scouting Council), when it comes to understanding Native Culture & Spirituality. If there is something that doesn't seem to fit with the way the church does things or they don't understand, then yes they have a tendency to take the approach you cited.

Try explaining to a clergy or youth ministers that Sweet Grass, Sage, and Tobacco in a pipe being offered to the Great Spirit is the same as offering God incense especially when the blend has the same aroma as Pot, or that Pipestone is sacred and considered the blood and bones of the ancestors just like the Holy Eucharist is the Blood and Body of Christ. It's all symbolism.

Brotherly love should be dominate, and all religions and cultures tolerant and respectful of one and another.

Sorry for the rant.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our discussions in the past over who is going to heaven has lead us down a slippery slope. It is one thing to search for the truth and it is a totally different thing to already have a belief that corners the market on it. The curtain has not been raised yet but several appear to have peeked.

Here are a few of my own questions:

Consider a perfect God and then try to out guess that same God.

Consider an imperfect being trying to figure out a God that is too big to ever understand.

I am tired.

Goodnight

fb

"This directly conflicts with any WOSM requirement that youth members must believe in at least one god."

WOSM has no such requirement. The only requirement is that the youth must hold some religious belief. Atheism is the absense of religious belief, hence the problem.

WOSM also recognized that scouting is not for everyone. If some have a problem with the scouting program, they should seek out another program. Why should scouting change its program to try to accomodate everyone?

Scouting is based on 3 fundamental principles:

* duty to God

* duty to others

* duty to self

Removing one is like remove a leg from a tripod. It can't stand as its no longer scouting.

Pint,

Thanks for posting this. I really liked this part:

3. Restrictions to youth Membership on the basis of religious belief

It is not acceptable to deny entry to, or persuade a young person to leave, the Movement because of his or her religious beliefs.

However, the Religious Policy of the Association prohibits Membership to anyone who denies the spiritual side of human beings or the existence of a spiritual power greater than any human being.

Even as a confessing Christian, this statement makes clear, simple and elegant sense for Scouting. Would that BSA said it this simply!

However, the Religious Policy of the Association prohibits Membership to anyone who denies the spiritual side of human beings or the existence of a spiritual power greater than any human being.

That is elegant. It also doesn't require subservience to the higher being, something the BSA does.

Like I said before, this will likely bite WOSM eventually when a scouting association in some country (probably west Europe) is found to be subject to antidiscrimination laws and can't exclude atheists. 'Simple and elegant' religious discrimination is still religious discrimination.

Call me paranoid, but is there some reason that senior members with nearly 5000 posts doesn't have a profile?

I've noticed that a lot of the more "vocal" members don't...why?

I am leary of advice from ghosts...

adc294, I can't speak for OGE (other than commend him as a fine fellow and good Scouter), but many of us here on the forums don't find the profiles particularly useful. I used to have one, but later decided that I would rather have folks interact with me on the basis of my posts rather than my rows of square knots.

Hey, when people are out to get you paranoia is just good thinking. It may amaze you, as it did me, but at times not everyone on this forum is who they represent themselves to be. If you are whom you say you are, I apologize, but that will not make me any less wary.

In the troop I serve we have had Protestants, Polish National Catholics, Roman Catholics, Jews and Hindu's. Now there is a group to write a Scout's Own but it can be done. The BSA requires a belief in a higher power, as do most if not all 12 step programs, nothing more.

I assure you, I am one of the good guys. Thanks for the comments.

Ole Grey, you will remember me as Bubbabear from years ago...the "gay debates"???

I am neither an aetheist nor gay...just a seeker of truth. We have moved up from Florida because I love the mountains of Virginia (and the people).

I don't have many answers these days, just questions. I hope you will continue to tolerate me in the spirit that is Scouting. If I offend any of you, please have me censored.

There goes Merlyn again wanting to get atheists included in private organizations when they don't meet the membership requirements! Give it a rest! Ya ain't gonna win or even make a difference!

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10