Gerald Ford- Rest In Peace

It was just announced that Gerald Ford, the only Eagle Scout to become President of the United States, has passed away at the age of 93.

I don't think it was any coincidence that Richard Nixon appointed Ford as Vice President in 1973. Because of the scandals caused by Spiro Agnew (not to mention the impending Watergate crisis), the country needed a solid, trustworthy man to rise up and lead it.

Gerald Ford exemplified the best of Scouting's values in how he conducted himself in both his public and private lives. While there were many people who may have disagreed with him politically, he was well respected by all for his integrity and forthrightness.

Something I learned as a Scout many years ago is that there are many times (especially when you are a leader) when you'll have to make a decision based on what's right rather than what is easy or popular. Although it cost him his political career and angered millions of people, President Ford did the right thing in pardoning Richard Nixon. While we are all aware today of the abuses of power Nixon condoned, Ford knew the nation needed to move past Watergate and Vietnam. Once Nixon was pardoned, the U.S. could start the process of healing and restoring its sense of pride. Today, history shows that Gerald Ford did what was right. I wonder how many politicians today would have the courage to do what he did.

Today, we should hold our heads high for knowing that Gerald Ford always did his best to live by the values we hold so dearly.

I have always looked up to President Gerald Ford. He was the president when I was a Boy Scout. For that reason I wrote this week's entry to "A Scoutmaster's Blog" about my feelings toward our former president. You can read it at:

http://melrosetroop68.org/blog.html'>http://melrosetroop68.org/blog.html

Steve B

Scoutmaster, Troop 68, CMC

http://melrosetroop68.org

I was watching the news last night ( forgot which network ) and they were talking about how in the 25 years he was in Congress, despite all the dealings, fights, arguments, that would inevitably happen, that:

Gerald Ford never made an enemy.

Now THAT'S a scout-like attitude!

I remember the Gerald Ford presidency, he was always being made fun of, if it wasnt countless replays of him stumbling comming off Air Force One, it was him hitting someone with a golf ball or a reference to him playing too many football games without a helmet. One of Mr Ford's biggest moves as president was the total and unconditional pardon of Richard M Nixon for all crimes related to the Watergate scandal. He was vilified, excoriated and generally beaten up and taken to task for that move. Many think that move cost him the presidency. But in the past few days I have read glowing tributes to a gentle, sensitive man who helped the country when it needed help. A man who healed the country when it needed healing. No mention of a young Chevy Chase doing a pratfall as an imitation of the president, just how great a man he was. Funny how a president's actions are judged at once in the present and quite often quite differently after the years past. A man once considered a political hack who was only president because of a quid pro quo agreement is now seen as a statesman for the ages. In view of this, how can we know how present leaders will be judged. Perhaps we best honor Mr Ford by looking forward as he did rather than revel in the past

Gerald Ford, rest in peace, you served your country well

When I was in college in Michigan in the late 60's, early 70's, Mr. Ford was running for re-election to the House and was shaking hands on campus. I had on a Summer camp T-Shirt, and when it was my turn in line, I held out my hand to shake his, and he looked at the T-Shirt and held out his LEFT hand and said "It's good to see a fellow Scout". He will be missed.

I always liked and admired Ford but wasn't aware of his Eagle status until after he left office. He was a truly honest man and an all-round good guy. He lived a full, honorable life. It would be good to see another like him come along some day. I miss him.

Just watched the arrival ceremony and procession of the Ford motorcade to the Capitol. Stopping at the WWII memorial, there was an impressive delegation of Boy Scouts, including Eagle Scouts out front to honor the President. I assume they were from National Capitol Area Council. Good job, guys! You looked sharp and did us proud!

• 15 years later...

You may or may not have seen the official crest for the USS Gerald R. Ford, but do you know the meaning of the symbols, text, and emblems on it? 

Well, first off, the compass. 

If you look at the point for north, you'll notice a Fleur-de-Lis symbol. Although used on the compass rose since antiquity, its use here stands for the Boy Scouts of America — Ford was the only Eagle Scout ever to become U.S. president.

The presence of the compass itself is meant to symbolize "The moral compass," a reference to President Ford's legacy of honesty and integrity.

USS Gerald R. Ford's global presence and linkages to the chief of naval operations' guiding philosophy of operating forward are shown by the world map.

The 38 stars around the logo commemorate Ford's legacy as the United States' 38th President. Twenty-six of the 38 stars have been colored in to depict his WWII battleship, the USS Monterey (CVL 26).

Ford's undergraduate university, the University of Michigan, is represented by the color scheme of azure (blue) and maize (yellow). To honor his graduate school, the crest also includes Yale blue and white.

The words "Integrity at the Helm" as they are the motto of the Ford Foundation and connect the ship not only to the Foundation but also serve to stress the Navy's key values.

More about our newest aircraft carrier USS Gerald R. Ford at source

https://interestingengineering.com/uss-gerald-r-ford-advanced-carrier-us

Future carrier USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78) official crest

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 4