A brotherhood of man -- Imagine

So, Gern, we are invited by Saudi Arabia set up bases in their country. Osama, who has been kicked out of Saudi Arabia, says we should have left, and since we didn't, he attacked. Are you saying we should have listened to Osama and left Saudi? Wow, I guess Osama really is powerful!

(Do you really think if we had pulled troops out of Saudi, he wouldn't have attacked us?)

What does Osama want now?

"The United States to convert to Islam, ditch its constitution, abolish banks, jail homosexuals, bar women from appearing in the press and sign the Kyoto climate change treaty."

Sooooooo, all in favor, say "yeah"....

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok Brent, I'll play.

You agree that OBL stated that the reason for the attacks was because of our presence in Saudi Arabia. After the attacks, we closed those bases. We haven't been attacked since. A reasonable person could draw a conclusion that there is a relationship there.

So, you are willing to call off the hunt for Osama? Do you think we should release all the prisoners in Gitmo? Stop all screenings at airports? Do away with all surveilance searching for terrorists? After all, your "reasonable" assumption is we now have no reason to fear attack. Interesting.

"Why were they hating us, from '93 to 2001? "

The United States has a hundred year history of sticking our arrogant noses into the affairs of other countries, solely to protect our economic interests. That's why people hate us.

Unfortunately Brent,

Our subsequent actions/responses to the attacks have created generations of terrorists enraged at the US for much more than the original bases in Saudi Arabia. Not only have we enraged our enemies, we have alienated our allies. I'm afraid all the precautions we now take to protect ourselves are permanent.

But Gern, as you pointed out, we haven't been attacked since we pulled our troops out of Saudi, so based on your "reasonable person" assumption, we should have nothing to fear, correct?

I'll cut to the chase - they hate us because we are Americans. They hate our freedom, they hate the freedom our women have. They hate our freedom of religion. The quote I posted sums it up pretty well: "The United States to convert to Islam, ditch its constitution, abolish banks, jail homosexuals, bar women from appearing in the press and sign the Kyoto climate change treaty."

FScouter - I guess you think we should have sat out WWII - don't want to go sticking our nose in other's business.

Osama is best left to hide under his precious rocks. If he wanted to hurt us, he would give himself up. We would really find a way to lose this thing with a martyr. There is no possible way to win a religious war. We have soldiers fighting ghosts and it will remain so until we recognize a different way to combat hatred.

FB - No possible way to win a religious war? Maybe you're right, but when the people are free and have democracy, they will be free indeed and then WE ( USA and their civilian population) win. Fightin' ghosts? no, we're fighting animals who refuse to "play by the rules" Before all you enemy lovers say that we don't, keep reading. The USA plays by the rules of war and ethics of war. We don't hide in hosptials, museums, places of worship, we don't transport combatants or weapons in ambulances, we don't hide in cemeteries or schools AND THEN SHOOT AS AMERICAN FROM THOSE PLACES like they are doing.

Gern,

We've alienated our allies?

When I was in the desert ( I had a very short mission to Kuwait in 2003) I saw soldiers from many countries. Remember, the USA was attacked, not Great Britain or Spain. Even Poland and Australia sent troops. Hmm, come to think of it, France, Germany and Russia were opposed to our actions in Iraq because, let me think, wait a minute, Oh yeah, they were in Sadam's back pocket with $$$$ and weapons. Hmmm, I suppose they didn't want us to connect the dots. Well, they've been connected.

FScouter - you think we stick our nose where it doesn't belong? Japan attacked us, Germany declared war on us, South Korea asked for help, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait asked for help. So far as I can see, Afganistan Government (Mr. Karzai) is pleased we are there.

For the rest of you who think we'll be "out" of Iraq sometime soon, let me remind you that WW II ended in 1945 and we still have troops in Germany and Italy, Great Britain too I believe. Korea War 'ended' in 1953 and we have troops all over S. Korea. It never officially ended, they are still technically at war, since 1950!

I wonder what you people would be saying if the 9-11 attacks had happend in London and we were sending troops to fight THEIR war? It would have been somebody else's problem, right? You would be saying that we have no business fightin and dying for them. The terms of our NATO charter / agreement state that an attack on a member nation is an attack on all of them.

Gonzo

"I guess you think we should have sat out WWII - don't want to go sticking our nose in other's business."

Don't be fooled. We provocated the attack drawing us into WW2 by first sticking our noses into the business of a tiny island 2,000 miles off our nearest shore.

Fscouter,

In the spring of 1940, FDR moved the Pacific Fleet to Pearl Harbor, Hawaii as a deterrent to Japanes attack. Hawaii at the time was a territory of the US, much like Guam or American Samoa is today. Suddenly, and with provocation, we were attacked.

Hmm, while minding our business in Hawaii, a US territory, how did that draw us into war with Japan?

As I learned somehwere, for almost 20 years, the Japanese naval academy had asked its graduating students to present a plan to attack Pearl Harbor. It would seem that Japan wanted Pearl Harbor BEFORE we moved Pacific Fleet.

FB - No possible way to win a religious war? Maybe you're right, but when the people are free and have democracy, they will be free indeed and then WE ( USA and their civilian population) win. Fightin' ghosts? no, we're fighting animals who refuse to "play by the rules" Before all you enemy lovers say that we don't, keep reading. The USA plays by the rules of war and ethics of war. We don't hide in hosptials, museums, places of worship, we don't transport combatants or weapons in ambulances, we don't hide in cemeteries or schools AND THEN SHOOT AS AMERICAN FROM THOSE PLACES like they are doing. Gonzo

Gonzo,

It is their religious war and they are not proposing Democracy. Freedom is the antithesis to their religious goal and would only inflame them even more so. We can't win no matter how the war is played.

My understanding of those that hate us has nothing to do with what you are calling "enemy lovers". I regret that you regard any opposing ideas with disdain and without merit. Remember that we are Americans and that everyone (we) has the right to think differently. Having everyone think one way is what the enemy is fighting for if you care to look a little closer. FB

FB,

I don't regard opposing views with disdain or being without merit. I regard some of the views here with humor and utter disbelief. When the American public listens CD's and rock music (no rock music isn't the root of all evil), they aren't getting informed except what they get from left leaning newspapers, cnn.com, Saturday Night Live, Leno and Letterman.

Get your news all of you, from a variety of sources, left, right, center and then learn how to pick out the fly dropping from the the black pepper. In other words, get informed. Katie Couric, and the rest are not giving you all of the information.

There are more good things going on in Iraq and Afgainistan now than you would EVER believe, but you don't know about it. What is getting media air play is all the bad.

Here's and example: US Soldiers de-fuse a car bomb in Bagdad, Al-Jazeera is staked out in a near by hotel and doesn't pass on the video. Al-Jazeera has another crew a few blocks away by another car bomb, that one explodes and makes thenews. I wish our military could get the press releases of the next car bomb locations, don't you?

Of course it's THEIR religious war, they declared war on us. They attacked us. They have been attacking us for years, wake up!

It not WHAT I'm calling enemy lovers, it's WHO!!

Remember, we don't shoot from churches or mosques, hospitals, etc. Also, we didn't incinerate our POW's like the Germans did. Also remeber, Germany declared was on us after Japan attacked us.

Inflame them???? I couldn't give a rat's rear end if they get inflamed. Someone got his nose out of joint because we had bases in Saudi Arabia and Bin Laden thinks that gives him the right to attack us? If they want a holy war, I hope we give them Holy Hell. It's not up to us to judge them, but we can expedite the meeting with the Judge.

America is the greatest country on Earth. I have personally been to more than 20 different countries and I know that this is the best country on Earth.

God Bless America.