Scouts reference in Ann Coulter Commentary

"I was once told that it was easy to be an independent because then you didnt have to stand for anything, well if I have to stand with either side I will be vomitting the entire time. "

Exactly.

Based on what I've read on the Foley affair, his sordid activities have been going on long enough and with sufficient frequency that it is difficult to believe members of the Republican Party didn't know what was going on, or at least had enough information that would warrant a more carefull examination of his activities. You could be sure, if the same folks that are claiming they didn't know the whole story, or never saw the so called e-mails or text messages would have been quick to investigate a member of the opposition party. They chose to ignore the behavior or their suspicions to hold on to their majority.

At the same time, I've come to the conclusion there were those in the Democratic party that were equally aware of the issue and released the information at a specific time for polical gain.

I don't see how either party can claim to be the party of moral or ethics.

SA

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I don't see how either party can claim to be the party of moral or ethics."

Party politics is about getting and maintaining power and has little to nothing to do with morals or ethics.

As a conservative leaning independent, I get to freely criticize both sides and don't have a "side" to pull for. Of course, the majority of moral and ethical candidates that I'm usually pulling for in an election never get a nod in the primary process because of all the party folks looking to gain or maintain power.

OGE,

It's too bad that neither party can fix social security or medicare. Sadly, neither party will. If ss and medicare get fixed, then the other party won't have the issue to argue about and use in campaigns.

But look how quickly some issues get legislation, immigration, detainees, Katrina relief, Tsunami relief, etc.

Gonzo

OGE,

In politics, you either choose your poison, or have it chosen for you. I honestly don't care for most politicians, and realize they are a necessary evil. There are very few I would invite inside my house.

I do realize they are human, and will make mistakes. How they deal with those who make mistakes is of importance to me. I have tried to point out the huge difference between the parties regarding this issue. If that matters to you, the choice could not be clearer.

I am not going to agree with any party 100% of the time on policy issues (SS, Medicare). I should be able to agree with a party about how they handle their members who abuse their power, or appear not to know the difference between right and wrong. Actually, their shouldn't be any difference between the parties on this issue, but not only is there a difference, it is huge.

I tried and coulnt do it, but that may mean I just didnt look with "the right phrases", can someone find how many registered voters there are who view themselves as democratic, republican, and independent?

(edited to add: I meant percent of voters in each group, not those who claim allegiance to all three groups)(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

Brent,

I'll agree that how a party handles its bad apples is important. However, more important is how a party goes about running the business of the country. The Dems held power for years and had the Repubs nipping at their heels about what a lousy job they did of it. They finally convinced enough voters of their claims to get their wishes and gained power only to squander it and abuse it even more bady than the Dems had. Unfortunately, the pendulum will always swing back and forth between the two parties with little real difference in how things get done between the two. The Repubs have been in power long enough now to effect some real change that would make some real differences. What are their accomplishments to date? Little to nothing. What is their battle cry? "If you think we are bad, the Dems will be worse." Yet, the Repubs have outspent, earmarked and special interest'ed the Dems into amateur status.

Brent,

I can't argue with much of what you say. It's true that, overall, it appears the Dems care less about moral infractions. Heck, most Dems laugh about the Clinton sex scandal and say, "Well, if it were me, I would have lied too."

So what's shocking to the nation is that this current scandal involves a member of the Republican Party - a party who sets themselves up as morally superior, more value oriented, more family friendly. People see this as a slight hypocrisy in the party. When a Democrat has a sex scandal, it's seen as less hypocritical because they don't set themselves up as the party of traditional values. (I can see the reponses coming now. Believe me, it isn't "right" that there's the distinction, but it exists. It doesn't give the Dems a free moral pass by any means.)

Let me give you an example. If kid holds up a liquor store and gets caught, it's not news. But if an Eagle Scout (yay! I brought this back to scouting) holds up a liquore store, it IS news. Because it goes against what we've been taught to believe about Eagle Scouts.

Personally, I'm sick of the Dems always whining. Right now, their platform is, "We're not the party of Bush and Foley." Ugh. Yeah, that's an inspiring platform. The Dems need to come up with some clear statements of purpose.

What really infuriated me was when the Democrats started criticizing the administration during the whole "Cheney shoots lawyer" thing. Come on! Just shut up and let the late-night pundits run with it!

It's amazing how weak both parties are right now. If the Dems had any strength, they would have been able to tear apart the Republican Party after Katrina. But they just moan and complain and never rally. Both sides are looking pretty disgusting right now.

"Both sides are looking pretty disgusting right now."

Friends, I think there is a reason for this. What we have installed in government, our representatives, is nothing more than a poor reflection on.....US.

We are, as a people, more than almost any other nation, responsible for our own political fate, our economic fate, our foreign policy fate, our domestic fate. Whether Dem or Rep, WE elected them. For the current crop of lying criminals, we have had ample time to identify them for what they are and we have repeatedly put them back.

Now, with regard to the economy, the war in Iraq, and the Bill of Rights, WE have driven the car over the cliff. Our options are rather limited.

Therefore, I suggest to everyone that we keep the bastards who are there now, there. That way, at least, it will remain abundantly clear who was driving when we found our fate. The Dems have come up with no plan of action any more realistic than the failed plan that WE bought from the Reps. Stay the course. What does it matter who is at the wheel when we experience that sudden stop?

Call me a Koolaid drinker, but here is what I see:

The Stock Market setting new records.

Interest rates very low.

Taxes are low.

The budget deficit has been cut in half the last 3 years, which is 3 years ahead of schedule.

Unemployment at unheard of low levels.

Gas prices are below $2.00.

I'm glad we are in Iraq, taking the fight to the terrorists. (I get my news from many sources, including those not afraid to report the successes we are having there).

Feel free to knock yourselves out posting the bad news in the MSM, but don't do it because you think I haven't seen it. I just know an agenda when I see one.

BrenAllen makes several good and accurate points.

Another thing about dems,repubs and the media.

o Democrats had power for 40 years and abused it.

o Reuplicans have had power about 10 years and still don't know what to do with it.

o The media seeks out democrats for their interviews instead of the republicans. The republicans have all of the committe chairmanships. The democrats are in the minority and can't DO anything, except maybe whine, complain and filibuster, even when it isn't allowed (it's in the constitution when filibustering is allowed.)

Gonzo1, since I don't have a Boy Scout handbook and wouldn't be interested in getting one, I have no idea what it would say on page 10. And since you've aligned yourself with the anti-democratic, jingoistic nonsense that "you're either with us or with the terrorists", I don't consider you capable of intelligent debate.

Merlyn,

You said:

Gonzo1, since I don't have a Boy Scout handbook and wouldn't be interested in getting one, I have no idea what it would say on page 10. And since you've aligned yourself with the anti-democratic, jingoistic nonsense that "you're either with us or with the terrorists", I don't consider you capable of intelligent debate.

Why don't you have a Boy Scout handbook? You are involved in scouting, aren't you? Unless you're involved only with Tiger Cubs or Girl Scouts you should have a grasp of what Boy Scouts is, Tigers will get more info as they move along.

You'll find on page 10 the requirements to "Describe Teh Scout Badge". Regarding the Eagle and Shield, they represent our nation's freedom and OUR WILLINGNESS TO DEFEND THAT FREEDOM!

For the education of our colleagues, jingoistic is defined as:

jingoism (jngg-zm) Pronunciation Key

n. Extreme nationalism characterized especially by a belligerent foreign policy; chauvinistic patriotism.

Merlyn, I gues I'm guilty as charged, I'm extremely patriotic, I love America and I bleed Red, White and Blue.

I suppose I have a belligerent attitude toward those terrorists who want to kill ALL OF US, including you, that I am willing to defend our great Nation.

In an address to Congress and the nation, President Bush said that there is an Axis of Evil. That includes Iran, Iraq and North Korea. He also said to the world that "You are either with us, or you're with the terrorists" I guess you're one of them.

Merlyn, I suggest you examine your feet and ankles for the presense of shackles. When you realize that you are not being held in this country aginst your will, take your anti-American attitude and leave. I mean get out, we don't need any more like you here.

God Bless America.