POLL: Should Boy Scouts Recruit At Public Schools?

Merlyn, you dont disappoint. I could count on you to take up any cause, so long as its anti-BSA.

If the BSA put a bucket of dung in the middle of the Gobi desert, you would probably go out of your way to get out there and kick it over!

The previous statement is not condoned by the BSA and reflects only my (kraut-60) personal views regarding your anti-BSA rhetoric. Have a crappy day and a worse tomorrow Merlyn.

I once produced a 30 second TV commercial for our local council. I had a few meetings with the council exec where we brainstormed the script. He told me that the research shows that "Mom" makes the decision on whether her son should enter Boy Scouts/ Cub Scouts in a vast majority of cases.

Usually, the progression works like this: Mom signs her son up for Cub Scouts. Boy attends Cub Scouts. Cub Scouts feeds into Boy Scouts. Boy becomes Boy Scout.

So, for advertising/marketing/recruiting purposes, Boy Scouts tries to specifically target Mom.

The gains in membership obtained by recruiting in public school (especially during class time) is relatively small. As is the membership gained by word of mouth among peers (sadly, that's the case, OGE).

Now, the controversies faced by BSA (gay and atheist issues) impact membership because they make make certain parents think twice about signing their son up.

In all truthfulness, Boy Scouting has always suffered from the "uncool" stigma within youth culture. Peer to peer and direct student recruitment does not form the bulk of membership. Many boys are initially forced into scouting by their parents. But it's common at that age for parents to determine their son's activities (or else many kids would only watch TV all day).

We need to be honest with ourselves about how the system of recruitment works and where it's affected.

Zahnada, from my experience with this unit, I think you are correct. The only recruiting we do is to invite Webelos to join a few events and meetings. Word-of-mouth is almost the only way people know this unit and we are growing very quickly. The parents almost always have the final word. And their parents definitely yank 'em out if they don't like something.