Can the Scoutmaster require that a Scout dye his hair a normal color for his Eagle COH? We recently had a Scout come with his hair red; he refused to make it a natural color. I feel that this reflects badly on our troop, as several state representatives and public officials were there. What's your take on this?

His hair didnt earn 21 merit badges, successfully complete an Eagle Leadership Project or successfully hold a position of responsibility in your troop for 6 months

Besides, I think the visiting dignitaries will realize it wasnt the troop that dyed his hair.

Having said all that, I would not be opposed to a discussion with the boy, laying out who will there, the number of pictures that will be taken and a thought about how those pictures will play 20-30 years from now. It may give him something to think about.

In the end though, its the boys day and if he chooses to be red, then it up to him. It could be worse, it could be green. orange or purple.

A bump to OGE.

Slontwovvy, show this Scout some pictures from your past to make the point that photos outlast fashion. Just last night I spent some time with my son looking at stuff from the 70s. What a hoot! Pastel blue tuxedos with 10" ruffles! Polyester leisure suits!

Let's look it on the bright side, it could have been worst ... it could have been red hair with a mohawk that comes complete with nose rings and earrings. Nothing is wrong with it ... (I just know that someone will come to the "rings" defense!). Dignitaries have to look past the "cover" and look at the "book!" This resembles the "long hair" Eagle debate of late. All it shows is Diversity in scouting! Ooopps, did I mention another "hot topic" word? Sorry. Let's see ... back when I was in scouting (circa 1978) ... I had my hair down past the ears ... enough for a pony tail!

Might ask him, for one day, to comb it nicely instead of spike it ;) .

Scoutmaster can advise the scout as to the audience that will be partaking the event and points out to him how dignified the event will be. The scoutmaster can point out the "perception" that his red hair may present and let HIM decide for himself his course of action. That's what I would have done if I were in your shoes. No apologies to the dignitaries or anyone are needed. I would carry on with the ceremony celebrating his accomplishment ... for the person in him ... not his hair.

Can I make a suggestion from the female perspective?

Dying hair is a chemical process. Asking this boy to re-dye his hair can have bad consequences for the hair color and could cause damage to his hair.

Why not ask him if he wants to wear a wig for one or two pictures (maybe in a back room) "for posterity" and let him be himself for the ceremony.

I wore a wig during cancer treatments and with a good wig no-one will know the difference.

If you men think this is ridiculous, I'm sure you will say so! (and I won't take offense)

gsmom

I like CubsRgr8's reply -

We just opend a 'time capsule' our troop had put in a shelter at camp in the late 70's. (the shelter is being renovated - roof damage - which is why we have the time capsule early)

the boys got a real kick out of seeing the uniforms, long hair (many of the young boys in the 60's & 70's scout catalogues looked like girls to them) short shorts, the beret hats, etc. There were many photos of the eagle scout in whose honor the time capsule was created - as he had been killed in an auto accident right after college. The capsule was his personal scouting history - and showed pictures of him on campouts in bell-bottoms and a watchband thick as a belt, with chin length hair, in front of canvas wall tents.

he was actually not that different from boys now - very clean-cut, but certainly they noticed the differences!

It wasn't that long ago