Famous/infamous Eagle Scouts

Packsaddle as a fellow eagle I couldn't agree more with your eloquent post.

There are times that people forget that while a scout had help along the way in attaining the rank of Eagle it was his alone to attain. We can push,prod,guide and sometimes as parents even threaten. When it is all said and done if that individual doesn't have that desire,want and goal then there isn't anything anyone can do.

Eagles are individuals just like anyone else and should be treated as such. The virtues that Eagles have is widely recognized in both the public and military sectors.

As you so aptly put "It is their achievement. And theirs to dishonor if that is what the future holds".

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuzzy,

Since Scouting in the US didn't start until 1910, we need to eliminate all the Presidents born before 1900 or so. That leaves us with only 9 who could have been Scouts, starting with Kennedy. Doesn't change your overall point though.

Does anyone else notice that whenever a criminal has any kind of scouting history, it is always mentioned? For a work assignment, I was researching serial killers (I will never look at humanity the same), and I believe it was John Wayne Gacy and Jeffrey Dahmer who both had scouting ties. I think there were other famous ones too.

Why is it always mentioned? I don't feel it has anything to do with some anti-BSA media bias. It has more to do with standard media shock value. The Boy Scouts is such a stereotypically pure element in our society that it's always shocking to debunct the "All American Boy Scout". In a way, we should take that as a twisted compliment. Boy Scouts do so much right in this world that people always feel the need to mention when they do something wrong.

Scott Peterson is an Eagle Scout.

Gary Hirte, a Wisconsin high school senior, Eagle Scout and former star athlete, shot a substitute teacher in the head and stabbed him in the back and heart.

Both of these men were share the same trait of believing they were smarter and better than others.

"Both of these men share the same trait of believing they were smarter and better than others."

I resent the implication that those of us who are smarter and better than others are also prone to violence.

I got to thinking about these bad Eagles

All of these Eagles were human.

All of these Eagles had parents.

All of these Eagles had families.

All of these Eagles ate food.

All of these Eagles wore blue jeans.

All of these Eagles went to school.

All of these Eagles went camping.

All of these Eagles did Service Projects.

All of these Eagles were quiet law abiding citizens.

All of these Eagles were religious.

We need to get to the root of this problem.

Don't worry Acco40, I'll be there to defend you.

Just as scouting is not responsible for the bad in persons, it perhaps should not be credited with all that is good.

I doubt that we can measure precisely the benefit that scouting has on the boys. We just 'know' that there is benefit, sometimes because they tell us so in so many ways - and perhaps if not for scouting...we just can't ever know for sure. I just wish scouting really WAS for everyone.

When my son was a Cub, a guy from NASA came to give a presentation to the Pack--he had a mock-up space suit, some pictures, etc. At one point he asked, "Does anybody here want to be an astronaut when he grows up?" All the dads in the audience raised their hands.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Moores lust to reveal cooperate injustice and misdemeanour began when he was an Eagle Scout and made a slide show exposing all the businesses that polluted Flint. At 18, Moore won a seat on the Flint school board, making him one of the youngest people in the US to hold public office.

I guess Mr. Moore took Citz in the Community a bit too seriously.