Flag Burning (redux)

We've discussed flag burning before, but now fanning the flames (so to speak) is Senator Frist, who says that a constitutional amendment to prohibit flag burning is "... important to the heart and soul of the American people". Cynically, I see this statement as a calculated attempt to create a wedge issue.

see http://apnews.excite.com/article/20060528/D8HSTO780.html (and other news reports).

As I've said before, I view burning a flag to be a strong political statement It can be either protest or a solemn duty, but either way it is protected speech.

We burned upwards of 20 flags on Monday night. Thanks to those of you who offered ceremony ideas! Every Scout had a chance to help retire a flag. We saved the grommets and will distribute them to everyone who participated. The only problem was avoiding the smoke, especially from the nylon flags.

In the months running up to his bid for re-election, each of the last 3 Republican Presidents proposed a constitutional amendment.

Reagan: prayer in schools

Bush I: flag burning

Bush II: marriage

I don't pay much mind, anymore.

I wonder why Frist doesn't word the admendment as an amendment to "restrict the means of free speech.(In only those cases where the majority of the American population disagree with the means or message.)"

Sure glad "conservatives" want smaller, less intrusive government.

SA

Poor Frist. It just won't help. His Presidential hopes have gone up in smoke, so to speak. He just hasn't turned out to be the kind of figure he might have been. I think the Schiavo case was the beginning of the end for him.

While I don't agree with burning the American flag in protest there shouldn't be an amendment to the Constitution to ban it. Banning high gas prices would be better!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Anyone that burns the flag is automatically marginalizes themselves. Whatever complaint or gripe they have is lost and all anyone remembers is the nut burning a flag.

While I detest seeing the American flag dishonored in such away I wouldn't want to deny someone the chance to make a supreme jackass of themselves.

ohadam you're exactly right about the knee jerk reationary effect of such hot topic issues. Who'd have though the issue of gay marriage would have been one of the key issues of the 04 campaign. Henry Lewis Mencken once wrote, "the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the public alarmed and hence clamoring to be led to safety by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins most of which are imaginary".