Why Fred do you find it necessary to post news stories that instigate discord among forum members. You post without comment and don't join in the fray. Do you just enjoy watching other people argue?

I don't think you are providing any service to the forum posting these articles since they can be gotten from numerous sources for anyone interested in finding them.

Is it just me or do others feels this way?

What is your motive Fred?

YIS,

CC

Actually I asked Fred the same question when he first started posting here and I paraphase Heather #1 when I say, "because he can".

His posting on Oliver North almost caused a love-in the likes of which I havent seen since the mid-60s

I commend Fred for bringing to this forum news articles that pertain to scouting, whether pro-BSA or anti-BSA. Sure, I would like him to give a little personal perspective, but if all he wants to do is stir up some sediment and see what brews up, that's fine with me.

campcrafter (and others), you ask a fair question, and you deserve an answer.

First of all, while its true that I post here "bacause I can", there's more to it than that. Its worth remembering that I post potentially controversial issues in the "Issues and Politics" folder, and that those who aren't interested in discussing those issues certainly don't have to -- nobody is forced to read anything I post. In fact, if anyone finds what I post noxious enough, they can set me to "ignore" then set my threads to "Squelch".

But more to the point, I think its worth seeing how the media covers BSA and to see how others view BSA. Last sumemr, I posted several articles that were "anti-BSA", to put it mildly, and I was roundly criticized for that. I've also posted many articles that are pro-BSA, and I've been questioned about that. So, while my postings are not exactly 50-50, I think it can be fairly said that I do post articles on both sides.

As to why I post without comment, I've also answered that before, but you may not have seen my response. That's a common complaint I get, but my response is simple: I prefer that people engage the articles on the merits of the articles. If I post commentary, people want to debate me, or show me why I'm either right or wrong. I'd much rather people focus on the merits of the article and debate the article, rather than my position on any particular article.

I apologize if I've done anything to cause you or anyone else distress.

Ron,

I know Fred and he's good folks. I think of him as our own 'Fredbot', going out onto the web and bringing us stories of mutual interest to discuss, lambast, or just read. He also has said that he posts here on Scouter.com so that the stories will be archived - they often disappear from the original news websites after going stale. However, maybe Terry should create a new forum (fredforum?) for these stories ... ;)

Except for a few articles termed as 'satire' dealing with the Jambo deaths, I find most of Fred's news postings to be worthwhile for a quick read. Since I am too lazy to go out looking for Scouting news, I for one am happy to have Fred do the work for me.

Fred, Thanks for the explanantion. No distress just curious. And all who find it of value for debate, thanks for your responses. I defer to the forum.

And by the way Fred you get 1 credit toward sainthood for performing a miracle - you got Ed and Merlyn to agree on something!

Post on!

YIS,

ron(This message has been edited by campcrafter)

• 2 weeks later...