Group Protests Boy Scouts Exclusionary Policies

OhAdam,

Good for you. The UU is a great place with fine friendly folks. I thoroughly have enjoyed openness of the people, and the friendly atmosphere. It is my sincerest hopes that you have the same experience. I know that I have learned much over the last four years.

The books are all great reads too. I have plenty more titles if you are interested

If you like you can email me at BobAnon57@yahoo.com

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back when Brett Farvre quarterbacked the Packers to the Superbowl win and said that Packer fans were the best fans in the world, it didnt upset me. When John Elway quarterbacked the Denver Broncos to the the SUperbowl win and said that Broncos fans were the best in the world it didnt upset me and when Tom Brady quarterbacked the Patriots to a Superbowl win and said that Patriot fans were the best fans in the world, it didnt bother me. I guess its something to be expected when you are proud of who you are

"I guess its something to be expected when you are proud of who you are"

Was this a general statement accusing some of us of homosexuality or a specific statement about Bobanon and his participation in the UU? It seems to me that this statement coming out of nowhere could be easily misinterpreted and I want to make sure that I'm inferring what you're implying.

By the way, what does UU stand for? I know all of the other acronyms used so far in this thread.

UU= Unitarian Universalist

I apologize for my obtuseness SaintCad, I was responding to ohadams statement in this thread where he posted "...I'm not so concerned about my own spirituality conflicting with BSA rules--I just don't think it's fair or sensible to declare that people with differnt views cannot be "the best kind of" citizens."

when we all know Bear fans are the best fans in the world

edited part:

Where in my post did you think I was accusing anyone of homosexuality

(not that there is anything wrong with that)(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

Campcrafter either I didn't receive it, or I am not seeing the link on the tool bar for private messages. On ohter forums that have private messaging you will usually have a notice and a link to click for private messages. Either way, I don't have your message.

In 11 pages of forum posts, I have seen the homosexuality issue discussed as a matter of ethics, a matter of religion, a matter of family values and many other viewpoints. What I am shocked I have NOT seen it discussed as is a matter of the safety of the child. I am not saying all homosexuals pose a threat, but the threat does exist. I have been involved in Scouting for over 30 years - started as a Web2, and never really left. Progressed all the way to Eagle, was an ASM, and currently working with a Cub pack. I have found that from a parent's standpoint, their biggest concern with homosexuals in Scouting is the possibility of impropriety with their Scout. While we promote two-deep leadership, we all know of times when this has NOT been applied. I have nothing against homosexuality, or those that are homosexual. But at the core of Scouting is the Scout, and what is right for them. I think you will find that deep down, even the least homophobic parent sees gay leaders as a risk that they are not willing to tolerate. Just my two cents.

"What I am shocked I have NOT seen it discussed as is a matter of the safety of the child. I am not saying all homosexuals pose a threat, but the threat does exist."

The reason you havn't seen it discussed is because it is not an issue. If recent news is any indication, a child is more at risk with a priest or HETEROSEXUAL female teacher than a homosexual leader! Using your logic, we should also ban females from scout leadership because it is POSSIBLE for them to abuse a scout.

Well, actually, if we want to go with trends, All of the Boy Scout leaders accused of sexual abuse that I have read about on this forum have all been men considered by their community (or so it would seem based on the stories) to be heterosexual "normal" guys. Married, with children and upstanding citizens. I have yet to read about a scout leader who after charges of abuse are made is found to have been living a "double life", scoutmaster on one side and gay on the other.

Therefore, perhaps married straight men should be banned as leaders, or at the very least forced to adhere to strict youth protection guidelines. You know like always having two adults over 21 on every trip, no adult alone with a scout, the only adult who can sleep in a tent with a boy is his parent, all meetings conducted in view of others, that sort of thing.(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

"I have found that from a parent's standpoint, their biggest concern with homosexuals in Scouting is the possibility of impropriety with their Scout."

Actually, it is sad that I have no doubt that this is the biggest concern of most parents. However, it is a concern based in ignorance. As OGE has pointed out, empirical evidence within the BSA and all evidence outside the BSA shows that the VAST majority of pedophiles are avowed heterosexual men, often married with children of their own.

Saint, I don't recall saying I was for a ban of ANYONE... I was simply stating my views on why many are uncomfortable with the idea of gays in scouting. I also did not say I support that reasoning. As I stated before, at the core of Scouting is the Scout, and what is best for them. Scouting cannot be all things to all people, nor would it be effective if it was. But if we lose our focus on what is best for the Scout, then the program as a whole suffers. My personal belief is that the Scouting movement needs to become more proactive in teaching diversity. Not all of the people of the world fit into neat little boxes, and it is to the advantage of our Scouts to demonstrate that it takes all kinds to make a world. As a global organization, it only makes sense to educate the youth we work with about the differences to prepare them for adulthood.

"I am not saying all homosexuals pose a threat, but the threat does exist."

Sorry, this comment sounded like you supported the ban based on safety concerns. I certainly hope that BSA policy is not set by people's ignorance that homosexuals are more prone to child abuse than other subgroups of the population e.g. heterosexual females and scouts themselves.

"I think you will find that deep down, even the least homophobic parent sees gay leaders as a risk that they are not willing to tolerate."

Ummmmm . . . no! I certainly don't.

"I think you will find that deep down, even the least homophobic parent sees gay leaders as a risk that they are not willing to tolerate."

Whether the risk is perceived or real, I agree.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10