National Anthem in Spanish

Things are just to quiet in this forum.

This country does not have an offical language. The Constitution does not specify what language free speach must be in. Singing the national anthem in Spanish will not prevent anyone from learning English. I would much rather hear the national anthem in Spanish or Navaho or any other language than not hear it at all.

Spanish Anthem Creating Controversy

Angela Word, KFOX Associate Producer

POSTED: 7:17 pm MDT April 28, 2006

April 28, 2006 -- You may not think of the national anthem as controversial, but a new rendition is rocking not only the airwaves, but the public's opinion.

The Spanish language recording of America's national anthem debuted on radio stations nationwide Friday evening.

Creators claim it was recorded to inspire patriotism among the Latino population, but others are calling it the illegal immigrant anthem.

At least one company that owns five El Paso radio stations has made the decision not to play the anthem regardless of the public's opinion.

"We will not play that. We just feel that we're doing enough, reporting being involved. You know, we've gone to our extent on how we're going to help out the community," said Joe Garcia, of Entravision Radio.

"If people are patriotic and they wish to have something in their own language that belongs to this country, I mean, yeah great," said Mike Cruz, of West El Paso.

The Spanish anthem has already caught the attention of President George W. Bush.

He stated that while Americans welcome people from all over the world, immigrants should learn to sing the song in English.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not having a national language is one of the major flaws with this country, honestly. I do agree that it's good in its own way, if nothing else it helps peopel to understand what the words mean, but ultimately they SHOULD learn it in the language it was written in. It's not like it was written in Ancient Hebrew or anything, the language is still in quite common use around the world.

There is no such thing as our national anthem "in Spanish". By definition, it was written and is sung in English. Anything else is simply disrespectful.

What's next, the US flag in green, white, and red? Makes as much sense.

The National Anthem should rightfully be sung in all languages due to the fact that this country is made up of people from everywhere. English is one of the languages spoken by people from only a few of those lands. It is wonderful that we acknowledge no specific language but embrace the whole world. Historically people have conquered by force, legions, language and religion. There is nothing like America now or ever before. We don't conquer; we don't make slaves or plunder all of the resources from those we fight. We fight for freedom and then we sing about it. As long as people are singing about freedom, then it will always be a valuable ideal, one that many hate and strive to bury but known as a language that everyone understands.

FB

I would support singing the NA in spanish in regions that used to be Mexico, just as long as they don't do the Rosanne Barr crotch grab after it. Actually, I haven't heard the spanish rendition. I'm sure its as difficult to sing in spanish as it is in American.

I don't necessarily have too much problem with singing it in both Spanish and English. I do have a problem with the musical rendition that I've heard of it in Spanish on the radio - it is cheezy. I have the same problem with some versions I've heard in English where it has been changed/modernized so much as to be almost unrecognizable.

As I don't speak Spanish, I wonder if the translation is pretty much literal? I know that translating songs and poetry is tough because sometimes it just doesn't flow correctly when done literally, but this is one case where I do think there's a need to be true to the original text.

By the way - I've lived in countries that either did not have a national anthem, or that had competing versions of national anthems and it didn't seem to pose too much problem to them in terms of figuring out who they were/what their identity was. So I guess that's why I don't see it as a terrible thing to have our own sung in other languages. It is the sentiment and values underlying it that I find important. Not that I expect everyone to agree though.

Lisa'bob

"I guess the same could be said of the Bible. Anyone up for Aramaic, Hebrew and Greek lessons?"

Reread my post, already headed that off. When was the last time you heard Aramaic in general use outside of a Mel Gibson film? How about Hebrew outside of a synagogue or Israel? And ancient Greek bears little resemblance to modern Greek.

Furthermore, as has been noted, it's not the same song when translated. That aside, we're ONE nation, last I checked. Therefore we should all be able to sing the anthem in unison. One of the reasons why this country gets torn apart so much internally is because we insist upon letting everyone retain their culture from the old country and make no effort to assimilate, making it so that there is little culturally that is distinctly American, especially things from modern times.

Can you imagine how long it would take to start a baseball game if EVERY nationality represented in the United States got a chance to sing the National Anthem in the language of their ancestors? And how would we decide what order to sing them? English, 1st, of course, but maybe I would want a Norwegian version sung next, while my husband would want a German version, etc.

LoL Funscout! I'd like it in Estonian please. But seriously, the Canadians don't seem to have too much trouble with this. In majority French speaking areas, they sing the anthem in French (say, before the start of hockey games). In most other areas they sing it in English.

Lisa'bob

I find it appalling that our National Anthem is being sung & recorded in Spanish. I wish someone would start again to make English our official language. I know Peter King from Long Island tried but it was voted out. I could rant on & on but I won't because I don't have the time right now!

Judy

You really can't compare the United States with Canada. Canada has official languages, Quebec province's official language is French and English is the official language in all the other Provinces. O Canada would be sung in French in Quebec and not in english.

Am all in favor of immigrants retaining their heritage but not to the extent that they never learn English. Am second generation American, when Dad started school he barely spoke English as Greek was the language used at home.

I think our National Anthem sung in any language should be just fine - I've heard it sung in the language of the Lakota and in the language of the Pottowatamie and it was just as moving as when sung in English.

Moreover, I'd guess that at least half the time, the words aren't sung when the National Anthem is being played anyway. I know when I compare the sung version versus the instrumental only version of the anthem, that I find the instrumental only version to be a lot more powerful and moving.

Calico