ALACOUN:17652] Time's up for the Boy Scouts !

flmomscoutw3, you wondered why I shared this. I didn't really have any "intention" other than I thought it was an interesting bit of news.

I stand behind BSA 100%, but other groups certainly have the freedom to express their own views. If ALA withdraws their support of the Reading MB, that would seem to me like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Given the dismal reading levels of many youth today, it would seem like the BSA Reading MB aligns more with ALA's core mission, but maybe reading isn't their core mission. Maybe their purpose in life is to point blame at groups that don't feel the same way they do about social issues.

I hope BSA continues to offer the Reading MB, ALA supported or not.

Yah, if I were an ALA member, the thing I'd be concerned about is the anti-Mormon bigotry of this policy statement.

One wonders if they're also going to stop ALA reading programs that work through the African-American church communities, because they also oppose homosexuality on ethical grounds. Wow, a bunch of librarians denyin' urban youth reading programs.

I'm a member of several professional organizations (NOT including the ALA). If, tomorrow, I attend one of our national conferences and propose policies X, Y and Z, I may get a fair amount of attention but in all probability, my proposals will not become policy for the group. That's even more likely to be the case if they have little to do with the main goals of the group.

The way I read this is that one particular member (and probably some of her supporters) wants the ALA to do something fairly controversial. They may or may not actually follow through, but at the moment they have not.

Before we get too up in arms about the ALA denying anything to anyone, let's see if it actually adopts this proposal. I agree that it would be irrelevant (in terms of the actual impact on BSA program) but more to the point, I just really doubt it will even get to that point.

BTW - I'm a counselor for the Reading mb and I don't think continuing this mb is contingent in any way on having a special relationship at the organizational level with the ALA. Nor do I see any reason to drop this mb if the ALA actually were to go ahead and adopt the proposed policy under discussion here.

Lisa'bob

Why in the world would the BSA need the support of the ALA to continue the Reading MB? I'm a Reading MB counselor & while doing research at a library is part of the merit badge, it in no way requires the support of any organization! So let the ALA get all goofy & think Penn & Teller are the voice of America! Big deal! Let's move on to something important because this isn't.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

I hear that the American Association of Gay and Lesbian Horseradish Growers are upset with BSA policies as well.

Now dat's gettin' serious, eh?! Those of us who love a healthy dose of horseradish on our brats* might just up and revolt if our supplies are threatened! :)

* brats (BrAHts) n.: 1. Slang form for bratwurst or other grillable sausage served in the upper midwest as a staple foodstuff from May through the start of deer season. As distinct from 2. BRAAts, n. young men who don't learn good behavior and value through scouting programs.

I don't believe that anyone read this correctly. It says that the BSA should return their library book or be fined a nickle for every day that it is overdue. We should have looked at the due date. I suppose it is time for the whole lot of librians to be up in arms over such a breech. In the future, we must be more careful. I respect their stand though. Overdue books make other customers wait, especially for the kind that the BSA checks out. Doesn't anyone ever attack other organizations for their slipshod ways?

• 2 weeks later...

We should always be concerned about how people see us. The ALA thing disturbs me a little--not because the ALA will adopt this position (it won't), but because the author does. A thoughtful condemnation and appeal will always give me pause, will make me step back and reconsider whether I'm still doing right. And though in the end I may not agree with the condemnor's evaluation (as I don't with this one), I'd always take it seriously. We don't need to be cavalier about it.

Historically, Cavalier was a derogatory term that showed what the typical English Parliamentarian thought of the Royalist side, capricious men who cared more for vanity than the nation at large. One Lords prayer has been remembered in, O Lord, Thou knowest how busy I must be this day. If I forget Thee, do not forget me". It later took on the image of a contemptuous overbearing swashbuckler or swaggering gallant. Even later, it became a pejorative propaganda image of a licentious, hard drinking and frivolous man, who rarely, if ever, thought of God. Edward Hyde, one of the Kings men, said that he "would, without hesitation, have broken any trust, or done any act of treachery to have satisfied an ordinary passion or appetite; and in truth wanted nothing but industry (for he had wit, and courage, and understanding and ambition, uncontrolled by any fear of God or man) to have been as eminent and successful in the highest attempt of wickedness as any man in the age he lived in or before.

My sincere hope is that this does not apply.