First, I carry a small pocket knife all the times possible. I find it to be a very useful tool to have with me. When selecting one for camping the leather man type tools are very useful, but I disagree with purchasing cheep replicas (you get what you pay for, and a good knife will last a life time). Stay with name brand knife manufactures. If you decide not to purchase one of these then here are a few things you should look for:

Locking Blade (Almost mandatory safety feature)

Stainless Steel Blade (easier to care for)

Size (Big enough to do the job but not so large as to be cumbersome)

Other tools (can opener, leather punch, second blade, est.)

Finally, I recommend you find some one in you troop, or at your local sporting goods dealer to help you with your selection.

I have a 3-inch buck knife I carry. I like it because of it's quality will hold an edge and that it's a little bigger than a pocket knife. I detest fussy little knives that require a pair of pliers to open. I carry it in a belt holder, which I much prefer to having stuff in my pockets.

I also carry a brand-X leatherman on my belt. (Yes, with the leatherman, knife, camp cup and sometimes cell phone, I look like Batman.) I've found that I don't need a leatherman with a ton of gadgets, but that I prefer the longer ones to the shorter version. The longer ones can double as hot pot tongs.

I carry an brand name multitool similar to a leatherman, but much cheaper. It has been fine for what I use it for. I also have a small knife with a bunch of gadgets on it that I carry near my multitool. I have a pouch in which I can carry a mini Maglite, head band for it, sharpening stone, flashlight, compass, multitool, small knife and sometimes other things. I will carry that with me on most things I go on. I also have another, slightly bigger, pocket knife with about four gadgets I think that I carry when I dont have my multitool.

Good input on the knife -- I really enjoy whittling in camp.

And while not from PA I do hail from "the Lower three counties on the Delaware" (Wilm., DE to be specific!)

Resica Falls, Bashore, Horseshoe are all familiar trying BroadcreeK this summer.

Good input on the knife -- I really enjoy whittling in camp.

And while not from PA I do hail from "the Lower three counties on the Delaware" (Wilm., DE to be specific!)

Resica Falls, Bashore, Horseshoe are all familiar -- we're trying Broadcreek this summer.

Every day, a Gerber 3" lock blade with a rubberized grip (seat belt cutter; old habits die hard). Also have a Gerber multi-plier and a super Leatherman. I actually like the Gerber better, but the Leatherman has locking blades, so I'm more at ease using it.

I've also got a Dutch-army knife (just like the Swiss model, but cheaper -- okay, bad joke) that I really like 'cuz it has the best left-handed operating can opener of any knife I own.

For non-Scouting applications, a USAF survival knife (next to the gas mask), and an M9 Probis bayonet.

My recommendation would be the Gerber multi-plier for all-around usefulness...get the model that slides open, not the one that you have to do that unnatural twisty thing to open it.

KS

FLIP2028 said, " . . . pocket knife on campouts? Any suggestions for one?"

I recommend you DON'T choose any knife that is offered by Trails End Popcorn as a reward for sales.

My son already owned a knife when he received one of these Trails End knives. He brought the knife to me and said, "I must have got a left-handed knife." I was mystified, "what?!" He said when he tried to cut that the dull side was where the sharp side should be.

After inspecting the knife I found that of course it was cheaply made, but it was assembled correctly. The knife was just so dull that my 4th grade boy couldn't imagine that it had a sharp side.