Scouts, ACLU back in court over Jamboree

Scoutingagain, I'm not certain who Merlyn has in mind but I know in this area, at least in the '70s, such gatherings were frequent. They were dressed in white sheets and gathered around burning crosses. Just one possibility....:)

Edited Part: typo, sorry(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

Sorry for the dreaded double post.

I don't think Eamonn was thinking of hats & white sheets. Although I suspect there were a number of un-scoutlike activities involved in the gathering I believe he may have referred to.

My question was somewhat rhetorical. The answer is, yes.

SA

• 4 weeks later...

My oldest son attended the Jambo in 2005. It was one of the best experiences he has had. He did get heat sickness that took him out of action for a day, but he also learned from it. He thought it was great that the Army & Navy had activities there and he was able to Scuba and Snorkeling, which is not something readily available around here.

It is a sad day when the Government is prohibited from doing something that helps promote positive behavior and good citizenship in our youth. The good thing is that this is the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals and not the 9th. (However, an adverse ruling from the 9th stands a better chance of getting over-ruled at the Supreme Court). Should the Courts continue to rule against the Boy Scouts, I am sure there are plenty of communities throughout the United States that would welcome 40,000+ visitors. In fact, I am sure that my community/area would welcome them. I am sure that we could put it together here in the Black Hills of South Dakota. While we don't have some of the attractions of Ft. A.P. Hill area, we have places for Scouts to visit.

While and adverse ruling would be an unforunate end to an era, it is not the end of National Jamobree. There are alternatives available.

We're thinking alike. In another thread in the past on alternative sites I suggested using the Sturgis, SD model. That's practically across the street so I agree. Plenty of space there.

So here's another possibility: Let's face it, Mt. Rushmore NM has become a joke. It is, for all practical purposes, a theme park. So let's admit what we've become and sell it to Disney and then get BSA to rent it. Plenty of parking and space. Rock climbing on the president of your choice, etc.

White sheets?

Masks?

No -That's a District Activity !!

(First Aid!!)

I was thinking of the 1969 gathering.

There is a rumor that the baby born at the event is now a COR of a Crew that is chartered by a Motel chain!! - I don't think it's true.

Peace.

Eamonn.

We use Mt. Rushmore for the Annual Pilgrimage. I was thinking it was more of box now, I missed the rides and games. Silly me, I was focusing on the 4 Presidents on the mountain!

In the good old days, only 40,000 came to Sturgis. Now there are 400,000 - 500,000 people that come through.

With the caves, Badlands, Crazy Horse, Mount Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Bear Butte, Mickelson Trail, we could plan plenty of activities for Scouts.

Wind and Jewel Caves? Mount Rushmore? Devil's Tower? The Badlands???

We all know the two most important places for any Scout group to visit in South Dakota (and Wyoming - home of Devil's Tower) ranks far above any of those spots. The Corn Palace and Wall Drugs must rightfully be at the very TOP of the list.

CalicoPenn (removing tongue from cheek now)

Well, yeah. I suggested Sturgis back in that other thread. I, ahem, visited Sturgis last summer and it's not a big town. But it has plenty of wide open space all around. The bikes are great BTW.

Mt. Rushmore was a joke to me. I remembered it from childhood, a small parking lot and just a few visitors and quietly enjoying the view. Now...street vendors, ice cream parlors, presidential impersonators posing for pictures with screaming children, and lots and lots of good ole American adipose tissue. I think Stone Mountain, GA is a more tasteful place now. And it's a lot bigger and didn't desecrate a holy place (although it does commemorate a bunch of traitors). ;)