Penn & Teller on the Boy Scouts on Monday

LDS members are very much Christian.

Myself Southern Baptist, but I have an Aunt and Uncle who are Mormon. Although I don't agree with their religious intrepretations much of the time, I know the the basis of our faith is the same.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The LDS use the Book of Mormon as their bible which is an interpretation of the Bible by Joseph Smith. So while they consider themselves Christians, they really aren't. They have many cult like characteristics.

It seems the banner ad at the top of the page is driven by the thread you are reading.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10(This message has been edited by evmori)

The official position of the United Methodist Church is that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints "does not fit within the bounds of the historic, apostolic tradition of Christian faith." Furthermore, they feel that Mormonism has "some radically differing doctrine on such matters of belief as the nature and being of God; the nature, origin, and purpose of Jesus Christ; and the nature and way of salvation." Similar official stances have been taken by the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and the Southern Baptist Convention.

Mormonism is considered a Restorationist movement, which may or may not be considered Christian by other more traditional Christian movements. They certainly consider themselves Christian, since they seek to restore the Christian Church as it was before the Council of Nicene.

The Book of Mormon is not an "an interpretation of the Bible by Joseph Smith". It is a new set of "scriptures" that Smith found and translated. It is considered one of the "Standard Works", along with the King James version of the Bible and several other books, that the LDS church uses as their "authoritative sources" for their faith.

I couldn't get the edit to work on my previous message, so I just wanted to add that I would gladly accept any correction to what I think I know about the LDS faith by those who have greater, first-hand knowledge of it... ;)

Protestant Christians would generally accept as Christian anyone who agrees with the premise that redemption and accepting Jesus will gain you access to heaven. That's what being a Christian means to them. Mormons do not. Mormons believe that only those in the faith will gain access. Anyone outside the faith is an apostolate and damned to somewhere else. Although Mormons may consider themselves Christian, I doubt many protestants do. In fact, I know many protestants who consider Catholics the same way for the same reason. Us diests are damned univerally by all faiths. That's ok, I have thick skin.

A fascinating aspect of LDS theology (and perhaps that with which traditional Christians have the most trouble) is the belief that "God" (the Judeo-Christian-Islamic diety) is not alone in our universe and that there are many such Gods, although all of our world owes fealty to our particular God. Indeed, if I understand correctly, any LDS follower who dies within the faith becomes a God (or perhaps God-like being?) himself.

[This understanding comes from readings in comparative religion; I welcome comments and corrections.]

Indeed, if I understand correctly, any LDS follower who dies within the faith becomes a God (or perhaps God-like being?) himself.

Saints, I believe. Hence, Latter Day Saints. Like the others, I am not LDS and am subject to correction.

I suppose it was too much to expect a simple 'yes' or 'no' to my question. I asked it because I don't know the answer and it seemed that the contention that BSA is slanted toward Christianity would be strengthened if the LDS church was Christian. If not, I'm not sure if the question of influence would ever truly be resolved.

However, considering the differences of opinion my question has generated in response, I wonder if there are any LDS members on the forum who could lay this question to rest? Of course, considering the forum, I wonder if any LDS member would be WILLING to come forward in such a manner? I think I'm going to make a few phone calls. Let you know what I find out.

Trevorum, I had not previously made the connection between B'hai and Islam. But I had wondered about the Sikhs. No resolution there either. I find religion baffling sometimes...so many flavors to choose from...and every last one of them in possession of absolute truth.

Mormonism is considered a Restorationist movement, which may or may not be considered Christian by other more traditional Christian movements. They certainly consider themselves Christian, since they seek to restore the Christian Church as it was before the Council of Nicene.

I find that analysis of the Mormon faith to be highly suspect. It seems pretty incredible to say they are trying to restore the Church as it was before the Council of Nicene (325 AD), when much of what they believe comes from books that were published by their prophet Joseph Smith, Jr., who lived and died in the 1800s. So with that said, I view the Mormon faith as a cult more than anything else. I cannot see how they can be perceived as a Christian faith. And the idea that they want the Christian faith returned to where it was hundreds of years ago is somewhat laughable. If I wrote the Book of Rooster, and used it to expound on the Bible, would you be willing to call that a Christian faith? If so, I have a bridge in New York that you might be interested in buying.

Regardless, fundamentally, many of their beliefs do NOT align themselves with Biblical teaching. There are many, many teachings of the Mormon faith that are totally alien to any Bible believing faith (Protestant or otherwise). Anyone who thinks that the Mormon faith is closely related to, or has authentic roots into the Christian faith, has not looked very closely at what they actually believe. In fact, Id say they havent looked at all.

"I find that analysis of the Mormon faith to be highly suspect. It seems pretty incredible to say they are trying to restore the Church as it was before the Council of Nicene (325 AD), when much of what they believe comes from books that were published by their prophet Joseph Smith, Jr., who lived and died in the 1800s."

Actually, that's not an analysis, it's simply a statement of their purpose. From the official website of the LDS church: "Joseph Smiths First Vision marked the beginning of the Restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ to the earth." and "In 1829 Joseph Smith received the priesthood authority to organize Christs Church. In 1830 the same Church of Jesus Christ that existed centuries ago was organized and restored to the earth." Emphasis mine; the century they are referring to is the 2nd century CE, which was before the Council of Nicene.

I made no value judgement as to the validity of their claims, I was just trying to pass along correct information about how the LDS church can be categorized with respect to traditional Christian churches.

"I think L. Ron Hubbard got there ahead of you!"

That's a more interesting question, I think, Trevorum. Is Scientology (which as far as I know, is a religion without a god) considered acceptable by the BSA for the purposes of membership?

Which one, and how much do you want for it? ;)

See, the problem is, I've heard similar things said about, let's see now (if someone kills me for making this list, I hope you guys have some fun taking bets on which religion they are a member of - I'll see you in hell):

Joseph Smith

Mohammed

Jim Bakker

Jim Jones

Billy Graham

Jesus

Pat Robertson

Moses

Ghandi

The Baghwan

Martin Luther King

Hitler

Haile Selassie

Bokonon

And yes, Ron Hubbard...

Well, you get the picture. It doesn't really matter though, everyone who followed those guys KNEW they were in possession of the absolute truth, at least that's what I was told. OK, not by the Jonestown people, but I surmise that if you are willing to sip the juice you must really believe something...at least that's the thing that happens in communion, right?

Dan,

There are Scientology Charter Organizations.

It struck me toward the end the World War II that I never would have gotten through the war alive had it not been for the training I had had in scouting. Of all the various information which became important to me, such as photography, wood lore, signaling and many other subjects, the basis of it was laid in scouting. I am very indebted to a great many, very fine men who gave their time and attention to a restless, boisterous and extremely active boy and teenager

L. Ron Hubbard, Founder, Church of Scientology

I'm not a Scientologist but thought this was interesting.