I'm looking for advice on how to restart an old troop that folded. Council and CO are of course eager to restart the troop. However there are only two second year Webs and my son who will be 10 1/2 in April and has completed everyting he needs except tenure for AOL. The De suggested we recruit from fifth graders this spring prior to thier graduating to sixth. How hard will it be with a mostly young troop?

The recruiting is important, but I wouldn't limit it to just graduating 5th graders -- I'd go to the sixth graders, too.

There are certainly extra challenges with all young inexperienced Scouts. They'll fill leadership roles in the troop, but without experience and maturity, they'll need lots more help from the adults than they would if they were 15-year old Life Scouts.

One human dynamic that may make it easier on the other hand is that without the older teenage Scouts and the Venture-age activities that go along with them, your program planning will be less complicated.

Good luck,

KS

you have to start somewhere.

at this point any advertising you can get would be nice. get the word out at all the middle school level. 7th and 8th graders can join too, and have made it to eagle from that point. see if theres any brothers or kids in your neighborhood who can join too who werent in scouts. kids who've dropped out may be a good choice. there may have been any number of reasons, but a new troop may be for them.

goto camp! even if you have to double up with another small troop find one to goto.

use the first few years to be heavy into recruitment. get really interesting events under your belt. be very liberal with what you do. as a small troop every scout will get to do what he wants. this'll help set the stage. if the scouts enjoy everything they're doing they'll be active and get the word out.

make your appearance at all dist events. get a nice large patrol flag, and wear troop shirts with esp 2003! on them. put the word out in local papers, etc that you're forming the troop.

pick dates right now. do you want to dedicate the first weekend to campouts or the second? getting dates down when you will do something will help the kids attend. find stuff to do in the summer. spend the weekend at the lake or by the river as a family campout where you do stuff they couldn't as webelos.

all those people you know in the community? they're great resources.

I wish you luck.

It won't be bad at all if you go get trained NOW. Work with your committee Chair to select and recruit an assistant and go get trained together so that you can develop a unified vision of how things are going to progress. There is a pamphlet your DE can get you that outlines the first 6 months of meetings and activities to get a new troop or Scoutmaster rolling.

Good luck and keep in touch,

Bob White

SMT376Richmond KY, Your question is a valid one that I wish I had asked before we made the journey. My question is, do you have a Charter Organization yet for this troop? On the assumption that you do, make no mistake, it is a tough road to hoe. Recruitment in an established troop is a task. But recruitment in a troop that is either brand new, or not started yet is like pulling teeth from a hungry panther. It is tough. Your key will be marketing, without it, you have not a chance. But, with the proper marketing, you have more than a good chance of making it. Everyone who posted a response here to your question is right. Bob said training. That is priority #1. If your troop leadership is not trained, you have a Zero chance of success. Since your DE thinks it is a great idea, make him work for his/her money. Remember, they get paid for this job, we don't. Make your DE provide you with the resources to market your new troop. They should gladly help you. I have never seen or heard of a DE that wouldn't help. Use that resource. Once your troop is established, (if all with younger scouts) Work your program and get them to First Class ASAP. Get them into Den Cheif training and get them into local cub packs. Take those Webelos camping. If you do this, you should be ok and you will have a growning troop by this time next year.

ASM1

All the answers so far are good. One selling point I've used with starting new troops is that the boys get instant leadership opportunities that they wouldn't get if they joined an already "established" troop. They also have the opportunity to develop troop traditions.

Once formed, make a big deal with the boys and the charter partner about the "chartering members" of the troop. A permanent plaque hung in the meeting place is a good way to go. Then give the boys the leadership opportunities and the program as promised.

Thanks to you all. Great infomation. Answere to some questions. We have a CO that chartered the troop in it's previous life. They also have a Pack. In fact, Ive been the Cubmaster for 3 years now. I have completed Scoutmaster training and the new Wood Badge course. Have committe in place. All we need is boys. I am a little concerned about mainly young boys as at roundtable teh older troops are giving me grief about having all young boys. Our DE is very supportive he has given me lots of materials from the council. He really wants the troop to be formed. We have a school rally set for March 6 and the local TV, Radio stations and the paper have all agreed to publicize this event. I'm looking forward to the troop forming.