Justices OK Berkeley's move against Boy Scouts group

Oak Tree, that would be a front and as such, it wouldn't solve the problem

Yah, it could. Transfer the Sea Scouts assets (boats) to "Educational Sailing, LLC" and get it NFP status. Apply for free berths. Educational Sailing provides free use of boats for Sea Scouts, in exchange for maintenance work on the boats. Educational Sailing may also provide use of the boats for schools, community, and other educational endeavors, perhaps using Sea Scouts as instructors or mates. Easy and simple. BSA insurance would still apply for every sea scout activity; but they may need a separate liability policy for other activities; I expect this would still be cheaper than paying for berths.

Berkeley's position may be legally sound, but is phenomenally poor public policy. The more you cut segments of the population off from use of government services, the fewer people you have to vote their tax dollars to support such services. And the Sea Scouts were presumably advancing Berkeley's assumed desire to open marina yachting to a wider racial and socioeconomic pool of participants. Defunding Alcoholics Anonymous because they, like the BSA, believe in a "higher power" does not serve the public interest. Subsidizing the Salvation Army rescue center does serve the public interest, even though the SA is a religious organization. Public charities are an amalgam of good people with different viewpoints. Good public policy supports all of them. That both serves the public interest, and makes it likely that the public will continue to vote tax dollars.

If I were a resident of Berkeley, I'd vote to sell the marina rather than continue to support a government service catering to the small segment of the population who happen to be wealthy yachters. There's no reason this shouldn't be privatized.

Acco40 is correct and I agree. They are not being denied access. Actually they are being given access EQUAL to any other paying members of the public. Just get in line and be prepared with the checkbook. This is not much of an issue. Time to grow up.

"If I were a resident of Berkeley, I'd vote to sell the marina rather than continue to support a government service catering to the small segment of the population who happen to be wealthy yachters. There's no reason this shouldn't be privatized. "

Me too. Once privatized a berth could be offered to the scouts at a discount. Alternatively they could start an Exploring organization partnered with the Harbormaster or Harbor patrol. Some of you may have heard of Exploring. From the Learning for Life website," Exploring is based on a unique and dynamic relationship between youth and the organizations in their communities. Local community organizations initiate a specific Explorer post by matching their people and program resources to the interests of young people in the community. The result is a program of activities that helps youth pursue their special interests, grow, and develop."

This is a national organization headquartered in Irving, TX and of course has nothing to do with the BSA. I mean the BSA is an organization that stands on principles and would never compromise their membship standards.

;)

SA

My understanding of Exploring is they have different membership requirements than BSA. This was brought on because many explorer posts like police and firefighter posts could not discriminate on sexuality or religion. So if it is true, then Explorers would probably pass the existing Berkely requirements.

According to the BSA, Exploring has NO members and no memberships; they have "participants." And yes, there's no reason why the sea scouts in Berkeley couldn't have become an Explorer Post years ago and freely admit gays and atheists, instead of trying to get free berths by using doubletalk that made it only seem like they could admit gays and atheists when they really knew they couldn't and really knew they didn't meet the city's requirements.