Talent joins locals for pro-Pledge rally

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lisa,

Active listening and feedback. Are they or are they not gifts? ;)

On actual political events, I'm just not sure. ... The Scouting movement has a reputation of God, Country, and Family. (I was going to say Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie and Chevrolet ;) ). In some ways, I want all our politicians to buy into God, Country, and Family. I want to send Scouts to just about any political event, in uniform, in part to learn and in part to show the values represented by Scouing.

Unfortunately, what I perceive as your POV feels equally valid. The cynical part of me says too many politicians no longer represent God, Country and Family, and participating in the event is mere windowdressing for them, besmudging Scouting as well as the Pack, Troop, Crew, or Ship.

At the end of the day, it comes down to the individual unit leader making a call: Is the event worthy of Scouting, does it add value to the young men in the unit, and are the young men being taken away from school or sleep time for the event (this last question I hope the leader answers with a resounding NO)...?

Thanks for your feedback!

John