"Duck It's Dick"

I love the term "peppered" as in he got "peppered" or I "peppered" him pretty good. Or the story of the ranch owner that she had been "peppered" herself, an euphemism for being shot. Call a spade a spade.

This is how I learned to hunt upland game, such as rabbits, pheasant, quail, etc. The shooters walk in a line all equal with each other. If someone lags behind, you wait for him. If someone gets a bird and goes to pick it up, guns are pointed up and away from the party. The guy should not have left the group to pick up a bird and the group should not have gone on without him. While walking and a bird flushes you have about a 80 degree firing range. You never point your gun lateral or behind where you are standing. If the game comes at you, then you attempt a shot or let it go, I would like to know how other people were taught to hunt.

As bad as this is, why would is it grounds for resignation? It may have been one of the most thoughtless things a president/vice presient has done, but not worth resigning over, it was an accident, even if a momentously stupid one.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OGE is correct. Calls for resignation over this matter, even if the lawyer's condition worsens, is over the top. There are plenty of high crimes and misdemeanors that could be investigated besides this one.

The only thing this incident does for me is confirm my impression that Cheney is a very secretive man who really is cold of heart.

Nice CA...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all "accident" due to a lack of focus...

run into a stationary tree instead....yikes,

I've pulled apart too many wrecks to recommend that course of action even if I was paying attention...

But back to the thread...as some have suggested, there are right ways and wrong ways to go hunting...My personal take was that Dick was going for a public service announcement by pointing out an example to hunters out there that if you go out without the correct bird stamp, you are hunting illegally and may even end up shooting somebody that you are hunting with...

BTW, anybody know if he actually KILLED the quail...just curious...

As for solidifying impressions of our countries VP....what exactly did you know about our last 3 or 4 VP's compared to this one, that makes his impression more lasting as cold hearted????

Don't bore me with political party propaganda....

Just imagine how you would counsel one of your scouts or friends if this accident happened to occur while they were out hunting....run to the media and exploit the accident????

Hardly, without fully knowing what it feels like to accidentally shoot someone, I am guessing that Dick is probably doing a little soul searching and trying to find his way back in to the mainstream...but because he holds a public office, he does not have ability to afford time...so people label according to their media informed impressions....oh well....still want to know about that quail....

Well, since you asked about our impressions of Veeps, here is my free word association of the last several.

Cheney: secretive, controlling

Gore: serious, intellectual

Quayle: bumbling, weak

Bush, Sr.: competant, careful

Mondale: unrealistic, honest

Rockefeller: (OK, my memory give out...)

Ok trev, let me see if I can help

Agnew = fulfilled his promise as Veep

Johnson = the very embodiment of the saying " some men are born great, some men acheive geatness and others have greatness thrust upon them "

PS: wasnt Ford a Veep in there as well ? And what trivia quesiton is his name the answer to ?

Interesting...

Not sure about secretive for Cheney...controlling yes, but a necessary trait for his admin position with the current actions of the white house.

Gore - serious and intellectual??? Inventor of the internet??? I think he was an asset to the white house but had no charisma. I think his quiet demeanor was misread as serious and intellectual. Even as a conservative, I thought he was a good #2 - but compared to the moral traits of his #1 - how could he not be???

Double yep on Quayle and Bush, Sr.

Mondale - not unrealistic but hopeful as was his #1 guy - first VP with an office in the white house due to his extensive international relationship efforts assigned to him by his #1 & smart

I am aging myself cuz when you throw out Rockefeller, all I can think of is money and the national Christmas tree locale.

Ah, the end of the 60's and the early 70's, and some would have you beleive we have a leadership crisis now.

Richard Nixon is elected president in 1972 with Spiro Agnew as his Vice-president. Agnew resigns due to a scandal in his home state of Maryland in 1973. Nixon appoints Gerald Ford as Vice President. Then in 1974 Nixon resigns the presidency and Ford becomes President. Ford is now a president without a Veep and he appoints Nelson Rockerfeller to be Vice President.

Rockerfeller had a quiet, mostly tenure as vice president, although he did cause a stir when he saluted an angry crowd with the infamous rigid digit.

Like Google, Snopes is a wonderful thing.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

Claim: Vice-President Al Gore claimed that he "invented" the Internet.

Origins: Despite the derisive references that continue even today, Al Gore did not claim he "invented" the Internet, nor did he say anything that could reasonably be interpreted that way. The "Al Gore said he 'invented' the Internet" put-downs were misleading, out-of-context distortions of something he said during an interview with Wolf Blitzer on CNN's "Late Edition" program on 9 March 1999. When asked to describe what distinguished him from his challenger for the Democratic presidential nomination, Senator Bill Bradley of New Jersey, Gore replied (in part):

During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system.

Clearly, although Gore's phrasing was clumsy (and perhaps self-serving), he was not claiming that he "invented" the Internet (in the sense of having designed or implemented it), but that he was responsible, in an economic and legislative sense, for fostering the development the technology that we now know as the Internet. To claim that Gore was seriously trying to take credit for the "invention" of the Internet is, frankly, just silly political posturing that arose out of a close presidential campaign. Gore never used the word "invent," and the words "create" and "invent" have distinctly different meanings the former is used in the sense of "to bring about" or "to bring into existence" while the latter is generally used to signify the first instance of someone's thinking up or implementing an idea. (To those who say the words "create" and "invent" mean exactly the same thing, we have to ask why, then, the media overwhelmingly and consistently cited Gore as having claimed he "invented" the Internet, even though he never used that word, and transcripts of what he actually said were readily available.)

If President Eisenhower had said in the mid-1960s that he, while President, "created" the Interstate Highway System, we would not have seen dozens and dozens of editorials lampooning him for claiming he "invented" the concept of highways or implying that he personally went out and dug ditches across the country to help build the roadway. Everyone would have understood that Ike meant he was a driving force behind the legislation that created the highway system, and this was the very same concept Al Gore was expressing about himself with his Internet statement.

Whether Gore's statement that he "took the initiative in creating the Internet" is justified is a subject of debate. Any statement about the "creation" or "beginning" of the Internet is difficult to evaluate, because the Internet is not a homogenous entity (it's a collection of computers, networks, protocols, standards, and application programs), nor did it all spring into being at once (the components that comprise the Internet were developed in various places at different times and are continuously being modified, improved, and expanded). Despite a spirited defense of Gore's claim by Vint Cerf (often referred to as the "father of the Internet") in which he stated "that as a Senator and now as Vice President, Gore has made it a point to be as well-informed as possible on technology and issues that surround it," many of the components of today's Internet came into being well before Gore's first term in Congress began in 1977.

It is true, though, that Gore was popularizing the term "information superhighway" in the early 1990s (although he did not, as is often claimed by others, coin the phrase himself) when few people outside academia or the computer/defense industries had heard of the Internet, and he sponsored the 1988 National High-Performance Computer Act (which established a national computing plan and helped link universities and libraries via a shared network) and cosponsored the Information Infrastructure and Technology Act of 1992 (which opened the Internet to commercial traffic).

In May 2005, the organizers of the Webby Awards for online achievements honored Al Gore with a lifetime achievement award for three decades of contributions to the Internet. "He is indeed due some thanks and consideration for his early contributions," said Vint Cerf.

Of the five men I listed, I believe that Gore is by far the most intellectual. His "Earth in the Balance" was a thoughtful, thorough, and rigorous argument for environmental awareness and activism.

The first VP I remember was Nixon. I remember "campaigning" for him in my 2nd grade class. ;)

Yes to all three and maybe a few more, it was becomming president without winning a national election that I was thinking of. I rember the rumors propagated by the conspiracy theorists of the time. That JFK's brain was alive and being kept on a Greek Isle owned by Aristotle Onassis and since the both the president and vice president had been appointed, national elections were a thing of the past and Fords successer would become King.

Oh, and the Black helicopters were massing in Wyoming

SR...the heck you say...you mean to tell me that a statement made by someone holding a political office was taken out of CONTEXT????? What is the world coming to...thank goodness Snopes.com will rescue us...kinda like Wikipedia and the Kennedy assasination huh...

Gore is a smart guy (Harvard grad and the like)...my observation was that his quiet reserve should not be confused with intellect...he was and will always be overly cautious. It was a shame that he ran with someone who had a completely different approach (or wife-you pick)

BTW, in Cheney's announcement yesterday, he declared that he has no idea what happened to the quail...

Scoutndad,

From the Snopes FAQ:

Q: How do I know the information you've presented is accurate?

A: We don't expect anyone to accept us as the ultimate authority on any topic, which is why our site's name indicates that it contains reference pages. Unlike the plethora of anonymous individuals who create and send the unsigned, unsourced e-mail messages that are forwarded all over the Internet, we show our work. The research materials we've used in the preparation of any particular page are listed in the bibliography displayed at the bottom of that page so that readers who wish to verify the validity of our information may check those sources for themselves.

The truth of the matter is that Gore never claimed to "invent" the internet. People are welcome to research for themselves from the listed references.

SR...

My response to Trev's answer utilized a quip...of course Gore did not invent the internet and as an ardent reader of Barb Mikkelson's (sp) website, her info is useful for us to dispel rumors without having to do our own research.

"Remember when the most embarrassing thing to happen to a vice-president was misspelling the word potato?" --Jimmy Kimmel

Vice President Dick Cheney accidentally shot a man during a quail hunt ... making 78-year-old Harry Whittington the first person shot by a sitting veep since Alexander Hamilton. Hamilton, of course, (was) shot in a duel with Aaron Burr over issues of honor, integrity and political maneuvering. Whittington? Mistaken for a bird." --Jon Stewart