Something a bit on the lighter side.

I have observed, over the years, a personality type that puzzles me. I am a fairly regimented kind of guy so I notice things that are out of my usual pattern. Why do some personality types always take from the larger or most full instead of using up the smaller? A case in point. Our office restroom has a double paper dispenser. The other guy in the office always uses paper from the largest roll instead of using up the smallest (I don't watch - we're the only two that use that restroom). My wife will open a full bag of sugar instead of using up the almost empty bag first. Before we got married she was manipulating 3-4 boxes of bisquick at a time.

I wondered if it was a conservative/liberal kind of thing but the two mentioned above are diametrically opposed in political thought so I figured it can't be that. Why would you risk having them both run out at the same time instead of using one and having time to refill while you use the other? Just an idle contemplation.

Apparently I don't have enough to do!

What your wife does would drive me up the wall. I get a certain pleasure exhausting the contents of a package and disposing of it. It is a sense of accomplishment, thrift and closure. If feel as though I got my monies worth and can move on. My mother recently moved in with us after my dad died. We emptied her cabinets of all her food and combined it with ours. Its been a tough few months for me seeing those two boxes of bisquick opened and going stale. But I get great pleasure when I finally put one of them boxes in the compactor.

Liberal vs. Conservative? I guess in the classical expression of the terms its conservative since you want to conserve the resources.

Just last night, I asked my daughter, "Why do we have FOUR open jars of peanut butter?". She shrugged, as if to say. "Dad, get a life..."

I think it has more to do with one's sense of order, of Teutonic Ordnung, if you will. People who don't mind having several jars open are the same who don't mind living in a messy room ... (but that's another story).

Hmmm... Maybe my friend's grandma was one of these people. When I helped my friend clean out his grandma's refrigerator after she was hospitalized long term, we found 7 cartons of eggs and 12 packages of butter. Many were partially used, but the sad/funny thing was that she obviously couldn't remember what she needed from the grocery store, so she always bought more eggs and butter!

Well, I have to admit that most of those kinds of things have happened at my house. We occasionally have rooms that we feel fortunate to have a path to walk through. Several instances of a food might be open at the same time, etc etc etc. BUT.............

My kids are good kids. They get good grades, they get into just the right amount of mischief, they love us, and we love them. All that other stuff is just details that I can ignore. Well, most of the time.

My wife will get really, really ticked off sometimes when they do something like not put their clothes away. My usual response is something like, "You know, you're right, but is this really the thing that you want to go to the wall on? There are lots worse things that could be happening around here."

Of course, my standards are a lot different than before we had kids :)

In our house its shampoo and body wash. The new one will get used before the old one is actually empty. I've contemplated hiding the new one until the other is dead gone...but with my luck it will be me in the shower when I realize there is not another drop of shampoo in that bottle.

Glad I'm not alone.

YiS

Michelle

This is one of those things I do that I know makes my husband slightly nuts. Hey, by the time you get to the bottom of that opened box of cereal (crackers, bisquick, whatever) it is probably already getting a little stale. That brand new box, on the other hand, is fresh.

So we compromise. I open the new stuff and he finishes up the old stuff. Gern, need to get those extra boxes out of the cupboard before they make you batty? Find some cub scouts and show them how to make dough boys! That'll use up the bisquick right quick and then your wife can buy (another) new one and you can start over again with the dough boys. Yup, it's a guaranteed way of keeping you involved with the cub program.

Lisa'bob

I definitely reach for a new bag of chips -- Do you really think that potato chip crumbs and bits taste the same as nice, big, roundish, whole chips?????? Not even close!

Other than that, let's empty those boxes, kids (ya you, the 6 and 9 year year olds standing in my pantry!)!!! AND THEN take the six seconds needed to throw out the inner bag and fold up the box for recycling!) -- there are few things wackier than 6 boxes of cereal open at one time, but one of them is 3 empty boxes sitting on the shelf next to 3 open boxes!!!

If my space wasn't cluttered, I wouldn't be able to find things!!

jd

I understand the "freshness" argument but unless those same people throw away the old/already opened container I feel they are very self-centered. If the new bag of chips is fresher nad you don't want the old one and you feel the "waste" of the old is worth it for you, why is it NOT worth it to everyone else? In other words, if opening a new bag is okay, get rid of the stale chips/cereal etc.

I think you will find that the individual who actually PAYS for the commodity, office toilet paper, breakfast cereal, bag of chips, etc. is more often than not more inclined to use what is already open.

Why? Because there might not be enough in the almost empty package to get the job done. It is just too much darned work to have to toss the empty and open the new when you can just open the new and get all you need. Geez guys, use your noodles. ;)

I can tell none of you are married to Her Who Must Be Obeyed!!

To open a new pack before the old one is done, is to take a great risk.

Rory loves the chips in the bottom of the bag.

Eamonn

(Does this means he is a conservative?)

Trevorum let me explain something

Skippy Peanut Butter Smooth

Skippy Peanut Butter Chunky

Some unknown ORGANIC brand, smooth

Some unknown ORGANIC brand, chunky.

Now if you have 4 jars of all the same kind open, then there may be a problem.