Happy solstice to all!

You know Ed and John, do you see a lot of Pagans running into the threads titled "Merry Christmas" and bludgeoning people with "Happy Solstice" greetings? 'Nuff said.

Trevorum, I hope your solstice celebration was as peaceful (exuberance of childen not withstanding) and meaningful as mine, and that you were surrounded by the love and blessings of your family.

Here's to the rebirth of the sun and Earth in the coming year.

You know Dan, you don't see a lot of pagans posting here because, well, there ain't just too many pagans involved in Scouts. Something about the 'declaration of religious principle' thingy.

You may consider that the reason for this post originally was twofold, one, to convey a joyful greeting and two, to provoke a response. I'm pretty sure its mostly the former based on past experiences with The Trev. :-)

But you know, people can get annoyed by many things. My Dad would take a widower friend of the family out to lunch every other week or so and would get really pushed out of shape becuase the old guy would blow his nose into his cloth napkin after every meal.

But I guess I'm just leaking from another thread... sorry all...

Have a happy, er merry, er joyful, er.. oh forget it!

O Radiant Dawn, splendor of eternal light, sun of justice: come, shine on those who dwell in darkness and the shadow of death. Isaiah had prophesied, The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; upon those who dwelt in the land of gloom a light has shown.

You know, CA_Scouter, I don't know of any Pagans who would have a problem with that "declaration of religious principle" thingy.

Especially the part of it that says: "However, the BSA is absolutely nonsectarian in its attitude toward that religious development. Its policy is that the organization or institution with which youth members are connected shall give definite attention to their religious life."

Perhaps I am less cynical than you, but I saw Trevorum's greeting as an acknowledgement to his fellow Pagans that our holiday was last night. It seems to be Ed and John who are trying to provoke a reaction (and have succeeded, to some degree, alas; I guess I should learn not to respond to someone obviously trolling in a thread).

And did you ever think that the reason there aren't too many Pagans in Scouting is that attitudes like yours and Ed's and John's make them feel unwelcome?(This message has been edited by DanKroh)(This message has been edited by DanKroh)

Our troop is sponsored by a wonderful Presbyterian congregation and I am proud to be associated with a unit that is so welcoming to families of all backgrounds: Protestants, Catholics, Hindus, Jews, Mormons, pagans, UUs, and an Islamic family. Our families celebrate a variety of holidays throughout the year and we are as respectful of the holidays of Ramadan and Yom Kippur as we are of Christmas and Easter.

Merry Christmas to all!

"Perhaps I am less cynical than you, but I saw Trevorum's greeting as an acknowledgement to his fellow Pagans that our holiday was last night."

When Trevorum extended his solstice greeting to all, I took him at his word. It seemed to me that he was offering it to everyone. I was not offended. Nor was I offended when Ed and John extended Christmas greetings (presumably) to all. Should I be offended at either?

Also, keep in mind that not all pagans celebrate the winter solstice and not all who celebrate the solstice are pagans. The features of nature, including the sun, are important manifestations and icons in many theistic traditions.

I have to admit this is the first time I have been wished a happy solstice.

Thank You.

I like to think that I'm doing my best to be a practicing Roman Catholic. I smile when I see practicing, it somehow reminds me of a Recovering Alcoholic.

Her Who Must Be Obeyed is not Catholic, before we were married in St Thomas of Canterbury Roman Catholic Church in London, the Priest asked her if she was going to convert? She said No! When he asked her why? She said that she didn't think that his Catholic God was any different than her Protestant God. He replied that he couldn't argue with logic like that.

I was raised in an Irish Catholic home, the church was a big part of my childhood and having attended Catholic Schools was a big part of my education. When I first became an Alter Boy the Mass was still in Latin.

I was brought up to believe that I was very fortunate to be a Catholic as we were right and everyone else was wrong!! At Easter services we even prayed that one day the Jews would see the light!!

I have to admit that I still feel fortunate to be a Catholic and part of me still feels that I have made the right choice. If that seems wrong or upsets anyone I'm sorry. I think that feeling has been embedded in me.

I don't claim to know very much about other Religions. I do now accept that everyone isn't Catholic!! I didn't really understand that until I was about 12 as everyone I knew was Catholic.

It may sound a little two faced but I can understand and accept somethings, but I know that they are not for me. I can understand and accept that people get divorced, I don't think any less of them or thing that they are bad or have failed, but it's not for me. I made a promise and I'm going to keep it. I'm very slowly becoming more understanding about the gay thing. I don't understand the sex, but can accept that two people of the same sex can have deep and meaningful feeling for each other.

Back when I was about 11 just before I was Confirmed, I remember that we spent a lot of time learning our Catechism. Sadly, I remember Sister Mary Anne tapping a beat while we chanted the words, not really understanding what they were all about and now when I read it there are parts that I question.

Still I'm happy and feel secure in my Christian beliefs. I'm not saying that I'm right and anyone else is wrong - Just that I'm sure what I'm doing is right for me. I'm not going to argue about it. I have a really hard time believing that so many people have been hurt and killed in the name of Religion. I'm certain that my God never wanted that.

I hope that all this debate about Holiday and Christmas doesn't go to far and ruin it for children. When this time of year only becomes a toss up between an X-Box and a Play Station we will have lost something that was good.

When OJ was younger one of my jobs each night was to go in and hear him say his prayers. I'm not sure what happened but somehow we got out of the habit. He is going to be 18 next year. He is very much his own man. He has and is questioning lots of things and there are things that we don't agree with each other. I don't take him to Mass anymore, he still goes a lot of times with me. The other week we were driving home from Mass and he said how much he had enjoyed our nightly ritual of him saying his prayers and me at times teaching him the words, kissing him and tucking him in. He said that it made him feel good. A lot of what I feel about this time of year is about feeling good. Call it what you like. But it is nice that even if it's just for a little while the world seems a little kinder and we seem to go out of our way to be a little nicer.

I'm going to make time over the next few days to sit down and watch George Bailey's "It's a Wonderful Life." While where I live isn't exactly Bedford Falls, it is a lot closer to Bedford Falls than London was!! I don't spend a lot of time thinking what life would be like if I hadn't been born? I don't spend very much time thinking what my legacy will be?I do believe that "no man is a failure has friends"

Thanks to Scouts and Scouting I have a lot of friends, some who I got to know in this Forum, some who I have never met.

While I never wish any of them ill or bad, this time of the year it is traditional to wish them well.I don't care what words you use to wish me well! -I'm going to take it and run with it.

I have never turned down a drink or a dance in my life, so I gladly accept a good wish or a blessing from anyone who is dishing them out.

So please accept my wish that you all have Blessed and Happy Christmas. Looking ahead a little I hope we all have a year of peace and joy in the year ahead and for many years after.

Sadly I just found out tonight that friend of mine who moved out of the area and I haven't seen for a few years has discovered that he has lung cancer, things don't look good. All I can do is keep him in my prayers. Jeff is a super nice guy, he was a Boy Scout and has been through a lot fighting addictions to drugs and alcohol.He met his wife at a meeting and together they made a new start. If when you are talking to your higher power you could put in a word for him I would be very grateful.

Eamonn.

The Winter Solstice is the "shortest" day of the year and ushers in the season of Winter. The Summer Solstice is the "longest" day of the year (shortest and longest refer to sunlight)and ushers in the season of Summer. These are opposed(?) By the Vernal Equinox (a day of equal daylight and night)to usher in the season of Spring and the Autumnal Equinox ushers in the seaon of Autumn/Fall.

I hope this gets you in the mix

Rather than worry about what holiday greeting is most appropriate, I prefer to wish all a joyous life, at all times filled with the spirit of scouting.